TX Cross Classifications must see 4A -6A Tie Ins

DevilDog

I am one of the few Texans that is not all caught up with all the AAA's behind the name of a Team.  I get out and watch all the top teams especially 4A - 6A and I am seeing talent a lot closer than many want to believe.  With 5A splitting this year and some teams moving up and down and with old rivalries and most teams will play up or down a class we can now see 2 or more classes playing up and down and we get to compare 5A teams that will play  big time 6A teams and also play a big time 4A within a few weeks of each other.  Many a week apart. 

Here is a look at those games and gives us Texans the opportunity to review and get out an watch these.  I will try to put them by areas and my fellow Texans add to it if I missed out on some

I will only post those among teams that are ranked that is playing up or down against a power or good program.  A few OOS teams listed because they are bigger schools and I am including 3A Powerhouse Newton who stepped up to play bigger schools and those schools are playing up. So as I believe Newton would be a power in 5A and we will get a good comparison as well as WOS who plays this team as well as 5A Powers.  This to me along with the Privates mixing it up will be very revealing.  The Landscape is changing.  And no I am not saying they will beat the Allen's and Lake Travis' most teams will not including OOS powers and 6A teams. 🤘

Pre-Season look at intriguing Inter class match ups this year will be posting soon.  

• Like 2

Week #1:  Ranked intra-class matchups  Enrollment numbers after school 

Beast Texas:  

4A DII #1 West Orange Stark (581) vs. 5A II Vidor (1331) (8/23)

6A #9  Longview (2242.5) vs.  5A DI  #1 Lufkin (2158) 8/31

5A DII #4 Port Neches Groves (1493) vs. 4A DII #4 @ Silsbee  (784) (8/31)

4A DII #8 Liberty Eylau (693) @ 6A Ark. High (1082) (8/31) L.E. plays 5 ranked 4A Teams.  (8/31)

DFW

5A DII #1 Aledo (1738) vs. 6A Denton Guyer (2514.5) (8/31)

5A DI #2 Highland Park ( 2180) vs. 6A Rockwall (2615) (8/31)

5A DI #3 Mansfield Legacy (2099) vs. 6A Jenks, Ok (3334) (8/31)

Others

4A DI #4 Waco La Vega (865)  vs. 5A DII Medina Valley (8/31)   Medina Valley (1425) Plays 6A S.A. Jay the wk before 

5A DII # 8 C.C. Calallen (1277) vs. a very good 6A San Benito (3088) (8/31)

4A DII #9 Lubbock Estacado (746) @ 5A DI Power Lubbock Coronado (2140) Top 20 team in 5A

Week #2:  Ranked intra-class matchups  Enrollment numbers after school 

Beast Texas:

#9 5A DII Marshall (1407vs. #9 6A Longview (2242.5) (9/7)    Plays 4A Power Carthage the next Wk

4A DII #4 Silsbee (784)@ #1 3A Newton (296) (9/7)     (Heck of a lil team) included because they are talented and scheduled up big time.

4A DI Carthage (794) vs. #8 4A DII #8 Liberty Eylau (693) (9/7)

DFW

6A #12 SLC (2725) vs 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage (2046) (9/7)

5A DII #5 Ennis (1665) @ 6A Skyline (4568) (9/7)

5A DI #2 Highland Park ( 2180) vs. 6A Mesquite Horn (2387) (9/7)

5A DII #1 Aledo (1738) vs. vs. 7A Bentonville, Ar (4506) (9/8)

Austin

5A DI #7 Hutto (1990) vs. 4A DI #5 Liberty Hill (1122) (9/7)

Week #3:  Ranked intra-class matchups   Enrollment numbers after school 

Beast Texas:

#9 5A DII Marshall (1407)l vs. #2 4A DI Carthage (794) (9/14) Defending Champs

4A DII #1 West Orange Stark (581) vs. 3A DII #1 @ Newton (296) (9/14) Defending 3A Champ and loaded little

4A DII #4 Silsbee (784) @ 5A DII Nederland (1546) (9/14)

4A DII #8 Liberty Eylau (693) vs. 5A DI Texas high (1874) (9/14)

DFW 

6A #13 Euless Trinity (3470) vs. 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage (2046) (9/14)

Austin:

5A DI #9 Cedar Park (2030) vs. 6A Power San Angelo Central (3044) 9/14

4A DI #5 Liberty Hill (1122) vs. 5A DI Manor (1912) (9/14) Manor also plays St. Pius X

Waco

4A DI #4 Waco La Vega (865) @ 5A DI Austin (2271) (9/14)

24 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

The difference in classes usually isnt pure talent ... Its the size & depth of line play on both sides of the ball. Depth in general really. 

5A bout to get exposed by 4A and so is TAPPS. 😀

That is the go to tag line.  Except Cocoa Florida proved that to be a lie when I watched them vs. Abilene.  Great Coaching and game planning along with talent are the keys and you can negate a lot of LOS game with screens and other schemes.  I have seen it many times here on Friday Nights.  Not negating it but it is not as big a deal as it once was.  Hell those Privates you keep elevating lack that mostly.  You give me a HS team with 4 Bad ass kids and I don't care what your line and size is I will give you hell.  it's not the NFL. Newton will play with a lot of bigger schools because they got about 7 flat out ballers. 

Week #4:  Ranked intra-class matchups  Enrollment numbers after school 

Beast Texas

4A DI #1 Carthage (794) vs. #3 4A DII #3 Gilmer (688) (9/21)

4A DII #1 West Orange Stark (581) vs. 5A DII #6 Power @Crosby (1779) (9/21)   Crosby plays #2 Manvel the wk before this one.

DFW

6A #13 Euless Trinity (3470) vs. vs. 5A John Tyler (2153) (9/21)

Austin

4A DI #5 Liberty Hill (1122) vs. 5A DI Pflugerville Connally (1857) (9/21)Connally plays 6A Austin as well

47 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I am one of the few Texans that is not all caught up with all the AAA's behind the name of a Team.  I get out and watch all the top teams especially 4A - 6A and I am seeing talent a lot closer than many want to believe.  With 5A splitting this year and some teams moving up and down and with old rivalries and most teams will play up or down a class we can now see 2 or more classes playing up and down and we get to compare 5A teams that will play a big time 6A teams and also play a big time 4A within a few weeks of each other.  Many a week apart. 

Here is a look at those games and gives us Texans the opportunity to review and get out an watch these.  I will try to put them by areas and my fellow Texans add to it if I missed out on some

I will only post those among teams that are ranked that is playing up or down against a power or good program.  A few OOS teams listed because they are bigger schools and I am including 3A Powerhouse Newton who stepped up to play bigger schools and those schools are playing up. So as I believe Newton would be a power in 5A and we will get a good comparison as well as WOS who plays this team as well as 5A Powers.  This to me along with the Privates mixing it up will be very revealing.  The Landscape is changing.  And no I am not saying they will beat the Allen's and Lake Travis' most teams will not including OOS powers and 6A teams. 🤘

Pre-Season look at intriguing Inter class match ups this year will be posting soon.  

Well hells bells if you ain’t 7A, you ain’t shit according to a couple of Colquitt folks, everybody 6A and below is “Bush” league. 

PSA by our beloved All Knowing Asshole. 

Regards

All Knowing Asshole

• Haha 2

Week 5 Match ups and others  Enrollment numbers after school 

4A DII #3 Gilmer (688) @ 3A #1 Newton (296) (9/28)  Newton playing all these bigger Powers especially WOS and Silsbee who both play 5A ranked teams and play this school. 

4A DI #1 Argyle (854) vs. 4A DII #8 Liberty Eylau (693) (9/28) @ Sulphur Springs

Week 6 matchup. 

4A DI  Carthage (794) vs. #5 4A DII #5 Pleasant Grove (671) (10/5)

Newton, Carthage, WOS, Silsbee and Marshall will give you a great look at the comparison of the classes with how their games will link Bigger schools. Interested in how my Fellow Texans would pick these games. 4A gonna work 5A. 😎 and those overrated Privates that they play.  Interesting how they will tie in as well.  Long time coming with these type of games here. 

3A DII Newton is playing up 2 classes against 4A powerhouses   WOS, Gilmer and Silsbee  ranked 1, 3 & 4 in 4A DII.  Those teams will play bigger teams who will be playing teams that will play 6A ranked teams.  Silsbee and WOS especially and Gilmer with Carthage who plays ranked 5A Marshall that tangles with ranked 6A Longview. 

50 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well hells bells if you ain’t 7A, you ain’t shit according to a couple of Colquitt folks, everybody 6A and below is “Bush” league. 

PSA by our beloved All Knowing Asshole. 

Regards

All Knowing Asshole

Just 5A and below. :ph34r: xD

There is always an opportunity to try proving otherwise by stepping up to the plate and playing the top 7A teams as they search for more and more difficult to find games each year. 

Somehow, some way, those little schools seldom find their way to prove it. 

I'm most intrigued by any of the cross-classification match-ups where there is real opportunity for the smaller class to prove they are better than the other higher class.

Like the #9 4A vs. the #9 5A. Not a #1 5A vs. unranked 6A etc. 

Let's see number 1 versus some top 5 of the upper classes. 

A lot of these match-ups look like the same type scheduling we see from the smaller classes in Georgia. 

Top team from 5A or 6A plays a team outside of the top 20 of 7A and then chest thumps for a millenium that they are on the same level as 7A. 

Erm. Not! The team you beat was on your level, not the other way around. 

xD

24 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm most intrigued by any of the cross-classification match-ups where there is real opportunity for the smaller class to prove they are better than the other higher class.

Like the #9 4A vs. the #9 5A. Not a #1 5A vs. unranked 6A etc. 

Let's see number 1 versus some top 5 of the upper classes. 

A lot of these match-ups look like the same type scheduling we see from the smaller classes in Georgia. 

Top team from 5A or 6A plays a team outside of the top 20 of 7A and then chest thumps for a millenium that they are on the same level as 7A. 

Erm. Not! The team you beat was on your level, not the other way around. 

xD

Just because a few of the 6A teams are not ranked in early season polls doesn't mean they are not powerhouses.  I know you are familiar with Texas.  

Unless you think Denton Guyer, San Angelo Central, Rockwall,  Horn and a few others are not good programs.  They are all legit and very good 6A programs  

We have these matchups with 5A powers vs. 6A.  By the way I am more intrigued with the 4A & 5A match-ups because those 5A teams play very good and some ranked 6A teams. Rockwall plays Allen as well before 5A HP.  

These are great math ups and I don't remember in a long time seeing this.  5A splitting is a good thing. Because some of these top 5A teams also play top 4A teams this year.  Involving games 2 or more classes.    We have a lot of top match ups this year with top ranked teams from all classes playing including the Privates. 

6A #9  Longview vs.  5A DI  #1 Lufkin 8/31

5A DII #1 Aledo vs. 6A Denton Guyer (8/31)

5A DI #2 Highland Park vs. 6A Rockwall (8/31)

5A DII # 8 C.C. Calallen vs. a very good 6A San Benito (8/31 )

6A #12 SLC vs 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage (9/7)

5A DII #5 Ennis @ 6A Skyline (9/7)

5A DI #2 Highland Park vs. 6A Mesquite Horn (9/7

6A #13 Euless Trinity vs. 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage (9/14)

5A DI #9 Cedar Park vs. 6A Power San Angelo Central 9/14

I will assure you in Beast Texas these 3 will gather alot of conversation.

#9 5A DII Marshall vs. #9 6A Longview (9/7)    Plays 4A Power  #1 Carthage the next Wk

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

Just because a few of the 6A teams are not ranked in early season polls doesn't mean they are not powerhouses.

Unless you think Denton Guyer, San Angelo Central, Rockwall,  Horn and a few others are not good programs.  They are all legit and very good 6A programs  

We have these matchups with 5A powers vs. 6A.  By the way I am more intrigued with the 4A & 5A match-ups because those 5A teams play very good and some ranked 6A teams. Rockwall plays Allen as well.  

A few 

6A #9  Longview vs.  5A DI  #1 Lufkin 8/31

5A DII #1 Aledo vs. 6A Denton Guyer (8/31)

5A DI #2 Highland Park vs. 6A Rockwall (8/31)

5A DII # 8 C.C. Calallen vs. a very good 6A San Benito (8/31 )

5A DII #5 Ennis @ 6A Skyline (9/7)

5A DI #2 Highland Park vs. 6A Mesquite Horn (9/7

6A #13 Euless Trinity vs. 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage (9/14)

Austin:

5A DI #9 Cedar Park vs. 6A Power San Angelo Central 9/14

I hope they do end up ranked. I understand that these are good programs, but, a number 1 from one class catching a good program on a down year doesn't come off as overly impressive. 

I know that there are some small school programs that can run with the big boys for a game or two and I admittedly don't know Texas ball like Georgia ball, but here in Georgia, the top 6A team gets rolled by number 1 7A on normal years. Top 5A, same thing by the top 7A. 

4A, 5A and 6A are usually closer together though. 

Maybe they can get a top 10 7A school occasionally. Top 5 on most years is not very likely for sure. 

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Just 5A and below. :ph34r: xD

There is always an opportunity to try proving otherwise by stepping up to the plate and playing the top 7A teams as they search for more and more difficult to find games each year. 

Somehow, some way, those little schools seldom find their way to prove it. 

Riiiggghhhttt....

Check the number and try again, be sure to look under home and home. 

Regards

BGW

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I hope they do end up ranked. I understand that these are good programs, but, a number 1 from one class catching a good program on a down year doesn't come off as overly impressive. 

I know that there are some small school programs that can run with the big boys for a game or two and I admittedly don't know Texas ball like Georgia ball, but here in Georgia, the top 6A team gets rolled by number 1 7A on normal years. Top 5A, same thing by the top 7A. 

4A, 5A and 6A are usually closer together though. 

Maybe they can get a top 10 7A school occasionally. Top 5 on most years is not very likely for sure. 

Those 6A teams are not down.   I don't know anything about Georgia.  I am more interested in how other Texans like myself that follow these teams and know the ends and outs of the programs think about these matchups.  We don't usually have what we do now with the 5A split and there are more games than this.  I am just as intrigued with an overly talented 3A Newton playing some serious 4A teams that will play up against 5A Powerhouses. 

Again I don't know anything about Ga. and I never mentioned Ga or how they play different classifications.  Maybe a Ga. guy could do a post about that and I can learn something about how they fare.   I have had this conversation with a few Texans the past few seasons and now we get to see them head up.  

Just one example that will answer many more questions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

Those 6A teams are not down.   I don't know anything about Georgia.  I am more interested in how other Texans like myself that follow these teams and know the ends and outs of the programs think about these matchups.  We don't usually have what we do now with the 5A split and there are more games than this.  I am just as intrigued with an overly talented 3A Newton playing some serious 4A teams that will play up against 5A Powerhouses. 

Again I don't know anything about Ga. and I never mentioned Ga or how they play different classifications.  Maybe a Ga. guy could do a post about that and I can learn something about how they fare.   I have had this conversation with a few Texans the past few seasons and now we get to see them head up.  

Good matchups.  

For me it's also newton and WOS, for many of us fans  it's put up or shut up time for the smaller class vs bigger class debate.  I'm going with newton in this one by a TD.  Too much returning and top lvl talent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Good matchups.  

For me it's also newton and WOS, for many of us fans  it's put up or shut up time for the smaller class vs bigger class debate.  I'm going with newton in this one by a TD.  Too much returning and top lvl talent.

Exactly and they also play Silsbee another ranked 4A squad and then those 2 squads play several 5A ranked teams like this. Silsbee plays #4 5A PNG the week before they play 3A #1 Newton.  WOS plays Nederland and they play  5A DII #6 Power @Crosby (9/21) Crosby plays #2 Manvel the wk before this one.

5A DII #4 Port Neches Groves VS. 4A DII #4 @ Silsbee (8/31).  Silsbee also plays 5A Nederland that was 9-3 last year

3A Newton and 4A L.E. without a doubt have the most difficult schedules in Texas regardless of class. 

Newton will get a chance to show they are as good as a few 5A powerhouses.  We don't get these type of matchups with so many ranked teams across classes. 

You know I been giving the lil guys props and now we get several opportunities to see what they got.  Throw in the Privates and it is even more intriguing.  With many ranked Privates playing 4A & 6A teams. 

37 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Good matchups.  

Last year Newton Beat Silsbee 41 -17.  Silsbee went 3 rounds deep in 4A DI playoffs losing to Carthage 64 - 36.  I would surmise that little group can flat out ball.  Silsbee also lost to 4A DII runner up WOS 34 -17 2 weeks after losing to Newton.  I am with you on Newton.  If they Beat Silsbee, WOS and Gilmer all three they play back to back in the order shown with only WOS on the Road.  That would mean they are the best Team in 4A DII if they smoke those 3 teams all top 4 in 4A.  Helluva schedule.  No doubt that coach is trying to prove a point in Beast Texas with this squad.  They are loaded.  RB Barlow named to Texas Super Team all Classifications.  

Another Beast Texas Small School RB.  That is what we are known for.  Kid got offers from everywhere. 

I will go to both the WOS and Gilmer games if they are still balling out.   These little brothers are exciting to watch.  Can't wait to see them against WOS Defense and that Gilmer Offense.  They are gonna run over Gilmer but can they stop Gilmer and can they run on that WOS Defense. 

57 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Just one example that will answer many more questions. 

6A #12 SLC vs 5A DI #10 Colleyville Heritage 

Outside of depth, it didn't seem to me that these two public dominated states could be that different. I guess maybe they are, or that I shouldn't care one way or the other either way. 

No interstate comparison or discussion allowed. ✔️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Outside of depth, it didn't seem to me that these two public dominated states could be that different. I guess maybe they are, or that I shouldn't care one way or the other either way. 

No interstate comparison or discussion allowed. ✔️

That was not my contention.  You were using Ga. as a comparison for the uniqueness of Texas this year.  We have more cross match-ups of ranked teams ever.  I don't think it would be apples to apples with Georgia. But again I don't know enough about Ga. Maybe they are doing the same this year or they have recently.  We haven't.  The 5A split is the reason for this in my opinion.  Discuss away.  I won't address Ga. because I know nothing of it.  I don't ever remember Aledo playing a 6A School or 6A SLC playing a ranked 5A along with many 4A and 5A along with TAPPS.  This will allow us Texas to fairly judge across classes and see if there are big differences among the Group.  I for one have said the last 2 years that 4A top 5 is better than 5A.  I will find out now with Carthage, WOS, and Silsbee playing top 5A teams.   When people mention Allen , LT and Katy they seem to forget the 6A teams and 95pct of OOS teams will not beat them.  I didn't even list the other games among top 25 type teams.  Just the highly ranked ones.  Everyone of those 6A teams would be ranked in 5A. 

Please start a topic and list all of the Ga. ones that is identical to Texas this year.  I can't ever remember seeing this in Texas on this scale.  We have 30 games involving big time cross classifications of top 10 teams 4A - 6A and many more outside the top 10.  Notice I only posted the top 10 in 4A - 5A and top 15 in 6A.   Plus the Privates are playing ranked 4A - 6A. 

• Like 1

Aight...Time to play Devil's Advocate here DD.

You know (and all of Texas knows) that quite a few of the schools are borderline in their classifiications.

Highland Park is basically a stone throw from being 6A (been on and off the edge for years).  Same with Argyle and 5A.  Lufkin was just 6A last season iirc.

I like that the lower classes are playing up...But Im gonna be fooled by some of these "edge teams" matchups.  Ijs 👍🏻.

With all that said...Who, Where, and What in tarnation is Vidor???

Also....Marshall...Ls...I'll end it there 😁

22 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

That was not my contention.  You were using Ga. as a comparison for the uniqueness of Texas this year.  We have more cross match-ups of ranked teams ever.  I don't think it would be apples to apples with Georgia. But again I don't know enough about Ga. Maybe they are doing the same this year or they have recently.  We haven't.  The 5A split is the reason for this in my opinion.  Discuss away.  I won't address Ga. because I know nothing of it.  I don't ever remember Aledo playing a 6A School or 6A SLC playing a ranked 5A along with many 4A and 5A along with TAPPS.  This will allow us Texas to fairly judge across classes and see if there are big differences among the Group.  I for one have said the last 2 years that 4A top 5 is better than 5A.  I will find out now with Carthage, WOS, and Silsbee playing top 5A teams.   When people mention Allen , LT and Katy they seem to forget the 6A teams and 95pct of OOS teams will not beat them.  I didn't even list the other games among top 25 type teams.  Just the highly ranked ones.  Everyone of those 6A teams would be ranked in 5A. 

Please start a topic and list all of the Ga. ones that is identical to Texas this year.  I can't ever remember seeing this in Texas on this scale.  We have 30 games involving big time cross classifications of top 10 teams 4A - 6A and many more outside the top 10.  Notice I only posted the top 10 in 4A - 5A and top 15 in 6A.   Plus the Privates are playing ranked 4A - 6A. 

Agree, we have not had this many top ranked teams across classes playing each other 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Aight...Time to play Devil's Advocate here DD.

You know (and all of Texas knows) that quite a few of the schools are borderline in their classifiications.

Highland Park is basically a stone throw from being 6A (been on and off the edge for years).  Same with Argyle and 5A.  Lufkin was just 6A last season iirc.

I like that the lower classes are playing up...But Im gonna be fooled by some of these "edge teams" matchups.  Ijs 👍🏻.

With all that said...Who, Where, and What in tarnation is Vidor???

Also....Marshall...Ls...I'll end it there 😁

Vidor is just east of Beaumont. 

• Haha 1