Florida stand your ground laws.

HSFBfan

Not sure why I am posting this becuaw i know the reaction that will be posted but I'll do it anyway. Guy shoves another guy over illegally parking in a handicap spot other guy pulls out his legally owned gun and puts one in his chest. I'm sure there will be protests and such over this

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/22/florida-sheriff-says-stand-your-ground-law-prevents-arrest-in-fatal-shooting-in-parking-spot-dispute.html

1 minute ago, Drummer61 said:

Nope.....Not yet anyway...The chief said,"that was a violent push down, he stood his ground and dispatched the threat"....See ya..

He is allowed to do what he feels necessary to end the threat and he did. I think under the law the guy is absolutely clear of any charges that could come against him CRIMINALLY. Now civilly that another story

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

Black on black.

We know what it would have been if the shooter was black and the victim was white.

Damn, it feels good to be the one to type that for a change.

And if the shooter was white and victim was black there would be neighborhoods burned to the ground... what’s your point

1 hour ago, ron169 said:

And if the shooter was white and victim was black there would be neighborhoods burned to the ground... what’s your point

I guess you are lying. The shooter is a white guy who have been around there before and threatened another person for parking in the handicap spot.   The Black guy should not have pushed this dude.  But this guy was clearly setting this up to shoot someone.   Never take anything Drummer says to heart.  He is never correct about most things. 

In an interview with Tampa’s Fox13 the owner of the convenience store where the shooting took place said Drejka had gotten into an argument over the parking space before. “I told him, ‘Don’t do that,’ and he won’t listen,” Ali Salous said.

Full video.  He started an argument with the Girlfriend and her kids.  The guy ran out of the store to defend her and this dude who had threatened to kill someone over the handicap space before did it. 

A few months ago, according to the Tampa Bay Times, Rick Kelly parked his tanker truck in the same handicapped spot and said he was confronted by Drejka.

Drejka walked around his truck, looking for handicap decals, then demanded to know why Kelly had parked there, the trucker told the Tampa Bay Times. At one point Drejka threatened to shoot Kelly.

“It’s a repeat. It happened to me the first time. The second time it’s happening, someone’s life got taken,” Kelly told the Tampa Bay Times. “He provoked that.”

Still, the Gualtieri told reporters, the legal question is not about whether Drejka was right in being the self-appointed protector of the handicap spot.

“What’s relevant is not whether this guy’s a good guy, nice guy, or whether he’s a jerk, or whether he’s a thorn in people’s side and what he’s done, whether it’s three weeks ago, three months ago or three years ago,” Gualtieri said. “What’s relevant and the only thing we can look at here is was he in fear of further bodily harm.”

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Full video.  He started an argument with the Girlfriend and her kids.  The guy ran out of the store to defend her and this dude who had threatened to kills someone over the handicap space before did it. 

A few months ago, according to the Tampa Bay Times, Rick Kelly parked his tanker truck in the same handicapped spot and said he was confronted by Drejka.

Drejka walked around his truck, looking for handicap decals, then demanded to know why Kelly had parked there, the trucker told the Tampa Bay Times. At one point Drejka threatened to shoot Kelly.

“It’s a repeat. It happened to me the first time. The second time it’s happening, someone’s life got taken,” Kelly told the Tampa Bay Times. “He provoked that.”

Still, the Gualtieri told reporters, the legal question is not about whether Drejka was right in being the self-appointed protector of the handicap spot.

“What’s relevant is not whether this guy’s a good guy, nice guy, or whether he’s a jerk, or whether he’s a thorn in people’s side and what he’s done, whether it’s three weeks ago, three months ago or three years ago,” Gualtieri said. “What’s relevant and the only thing we can look at here is was he in fear of further bodily harm.”

Geez not again.  It’s very difficult to argue a person wasn’t fearful for their life, those type of state of mind questions are impossible to disprove.

the only way to combat that is to always legally carry.  Don’t leave home without it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

This is a bad shooting. All 3 involved here made bad decisions. When he pulled gun dude appeared to retreat. 

It’s disturbing and sad, all the way around.  Based on the input from the guy (Rick Kelly) it looks like the shooter was some kind of vigilante handicapped spot monitor.  That shouldn’t be lost in the argument over whether there was justification.

WTF is with people that aren’t  physically handicapped using those spaces???  

Karma...

13 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Not sure why I am posting this becuaw i know the reaction that will be posted but I'll do it anyway. Guy shoves another guy over illegally parking in a handicap spot other guy pulls out his legally owned gun and puts one in his chest. I'm sure there will be protests and such over this

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/22/florida-sheriff-says-stand-your-ground-law-prevents-arrest-in-fatal-shooting-in-parking-spot-dispute.html

Entitlement, both cases... part time handicap parking monitor and a belligerent "I do what the fuck I want, where I want" idiot.. it's a shame the both of them didn't have gun and simultaneously execute each other, make the world a better place. 

Kids are traumatized in both scenarios, shameful.

Regards,

BGW

13 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Entitlement, both cases... part time handicap parking monitor and a belligerent "I do what the fuck I want, where I want" idiot.. it's a shame the both of them didn't have gun and simultaneously execute each other, make the world a better place. 

Kids are traumatized in both scenarios, shameful.

Regards,

BGW

Well the guy parking in the handicap spot was wrong. Than the guy taking it to the physical level was wrong. Yea you can say entitlement 

Just now, Drummer61 said:

Florida is a BIG 2nd amendment state......Many people carry....... so it behooves those who resort to this kind of conduct to think twice....COMPLY and you usually won't die....STAND YOUR GROUND..

Texas same thing. I agree with stand your gun. Knowing that anyone can be armed will make you think twice of messing with someone

5 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

What's tragic is that people can't control their emotions and resort to shoving another to the ground.....Don't do this in Florida or anyplace else....

I’m all for the right to defend yourself, but all the information I’ve seen, points out to the shooter initiating the conflict.  If he was standing there minding his own business and was attacked, I would think differently. We all have the right to feel angry about the misuse of handicapped parking, but we don’t have right to enforce it, unless authorized.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

so it behooves those who resort to this kind of conduct to think twice....COMPLY and you usually won't die....STAND YOUR GROUND..

So by carrying a weapon, one is entitled to place someone into a “comply or die” situation?  Too bad the victim wasn’t armed, he could have justified shooting the aggressor based on his verbal altercation.  We could have been an old fashioned shootout. 

Just admit, there was nothing right in that situation.

13 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

No, not at all.....However, those that bully and attack get what they deserve...Those that bully and attack don't comply and therefore may die....

Why was the shooter involved in the verbal altercation with the victim’s girlfriend?  He didn’t own the handicapped space.  It wasn’t his to defend.  This BTW was a behavior he had demonstrated before.   

I guess we all have to walk on eggshells hoping not to upset “law abiding” citizens by doing things they consider wrong.

Not long ago I witnessed a handicapped parking altercation unfold, with the potential to go wrong, and the police were called.    The party that initiated the situation (no placard)cut off an elderly couple (with placard) to get the spot. The elderly couple then wrongfully hemmed her in “standing their ground”. When police arrived, both parties were cited.  The initiating party later called on an accomplice to help avenge the perceived injustice.  Because the cops were smart enough to listen to certain details provided by interested onlookers, they positioned themselves discreetly and waited, eventually catching the accomplice in the act, and made the arrest as appropriate.  That’s the way it is supposed to work.

9 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

After he was thrown down very hard he had "fear", did not know what to expect,made a fast decision to END the threat....In combat, you never know what a threat has in mind, I would have ended the threat too....We can't make judgements without weaponss training or been in that position...The chief just said,"we will not prosecute"....

I was not referring to the shooter.  The guy who pushed him down could have tried to reason with him or walk away.  

22 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

He was not that type,believe me....These types are not polite, well versed in conversation or have much common sense .....Bully, thug types,push the envelope guys....

So the guy who killed him has no responsibility for it.  Amazing moral compass you live with.  

The guy who pushed the shooter is more of a bully than the guy who pulled out a gun and murdered an unarmed man defending his girl?  

• Like 1

Truth is both these guys pulled bitch moves.   No need for a 28 yr old to shove the older guy, but the older guy is a little bitch for sure.    Could have easily scared the younger guy and not shot him.   Seriously though Fl can be a violent state and for this reason people want to carry.