OT: HS track

golfaddict1

14 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Throughout the 1990s, DeSoto experienced a significant change in the demographic composition of the city. In the 1990 census, whites constituted 75.97% of the city's population, but that figure had declined to 48.83% in the 2000 census, and 17.4% non-Hispanic white by 2010. By contrast, the African American population grew rapidly. In 2000, African Americans were 45.53% of the population, up from 20.83% in 1990. Hispanics accounted for 4.98% of the population in 1990 and 7.30% in 2000.

As of the 2010 Census, DeSoto had a population of 51,102. 68.6% of the population was Black, 17.4% was non-Hispanic white, 0.4% American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.9% Asian, 1.9% from two or more races. 12.1% of the population was of Hispanic or Latino origin.[9]

Mostly African-American Students

1,843 students, or 81.0% of the student population at Desoto H. S. identify as African-American, making up the largest segment of the student body. A typical school in Desoto is made up of 54.7% African-American students, so Desoto H. S. has a drastically different ethnic distribution compared to other schools in the city.

The demographic breakdown of Desoto H. S. is drastically different from that of a typical school in the state of Texas, which is made up of 12.6% African-American students on average.

Giant Dallas Skyline (largest magnet nationally) has produced 9 NFL players........what's their excuse.

You can't just throw "blacks" in and think you can add to a NFL number...it just does not work that way and never has..

The St Aug kids are just more hungry and maybe work harder. Give credit.

Just now, TheRealCAJ said:

Giant Dallas Skyline (largest magnet nationally) has produced 9 NFL players........what's their excuse.

You can't just throw "blacks" in and think you can add to a NFL number...it just does not work that and never has..

The St Aug kids are just more hungry and maybe work harder. Give credit.

Skyline is not a school that has prided themselves over long period of time in Football.  They have very small numbers when it comes to football actually, especially compared to other 6A schools.  Their football numbers are less than most 5A schools and some big 4A schools.

You don't want St. Aug line-up with the Texas elite!

Golf and DD -  I get there are great individual track athletes, teams, relays etc outside Texas 

How can anyone explain the dominance of Texas high schools in the main 3 relay events.

right now going into this weekend in these relays

Texas has 49 of the top 100 in the 4 x 100 vs the nation  - in this event the Nation has had 4009 teams with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 934 team

Texas has 68 of the top 100 in the 4 x 200 vs the nation - in this event the nation has had 2169 teams with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 915 team

Texas has 54 of the top 100 in the 4 x 400 vs the nation - In this event the nation has had 3942 team with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 868

All teams listed on dyestat or athleticNet had to run with "FAT" timing 

These numbers may change a little bit by the end of the year, but it probably want change extreme amount considering Florida, the south, west coast have been running for awhile now.  

DD- I am leaving tomorrow for Austin and hope to be there by 4pm 

4 x 400 D1 (small school girls) and 4 x 400 d1 boys start at 4:15

5:20 Sprint Medley 

6:20 1600m - 

6:45  300m H invitational girls and boys

7:45 4x400 D2 (big schools) boys and girls

9:25 Distance Medley boys and girls

Saturday Morning

4 x 100 all divisions start at 9:00am prelims

Pray for good weather on saturday!  calling for PM Thunderstorms 50% chance of rain.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

How can anyone explain the dominance of Texas high schools in the main 3 relay events.

I have an answer but I think you want Golf and Devil Dog to answer.

I'll take a stab...  

I'll go with larger participation #'s, more events vs. other states (not warmer ones like CA and FL) and the fact that many states haven't had a warm day or meet yet... and when they do they won't have as many chances and likely not in as ideal conditions as the warmer states.  I'll also go with the likelihood that more football players participate in track in TX as a focal point of the football programs than the power states.   

The 4x200 is a TX thing.  Even FL rarely competes in this event.   Give NJ, OH, IN, IL etc. 75 deg and 3 tries and I think the lists would look different.  

8 hours ago, Texasball said:

Golf and DD -  I get there are great individual track athletes, teams, relays etc outside Texas 

right now going into this weekend in these relays

Texas has 49 of the top 100 in the 4 x 100 vs the nation  - in this event the Nation has had 4009 teams with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 934 team

Texas has 68 of the top 100 in the 4 x 200 vs the nation - in this event the nation has had 2169 teams with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 915 team

Texas has 54 of the top 100 in the 4 x 400 vs the nation - In this event the nation has had 3942 team with chance to crack the top 100 - Texas has had 868

All teams listed on dyestat or athleticNet had to run with "FAT" timing 

These numbers may change a little bit by the end of the year, but it probably want change extreme amount considering Florida, the south, west coast have been running for awhile now.  

DD- I am leaving tomorrow for Austin and hope to be there by 4pm 

4 x 400 D1 (small school girls) and 4 x 400 d1 boys start at 4:15

5:20 Sprint Medley 

6:20 1600m - 

6:45  300m H invitational girls and boys

7:45 4x400 D2 (big schools) boys and girls

9:25 Distance Medley boys and girls

Saturday Morning

4 x 100 all divisions start at 9:00am prelims

Pray for good weather on saturday!  calling for PM Thunderstorms 50% chance of rain.

Yeah I got rained out last year and it didn't finish till around 1am.  A good friend of mine that lives in Garland went down Last Night.  The redskin wants to go but I think the storms is gonna keep me out this year.  Enjoy hit me up with a Text.  You do realize you spent the last few days of your life you will never get back.  Let's see a guy that travels the Country and knows more damn coaches than anyone I know even getting me passes to sidelines having you questioned over Track and Field and this thread was going so well.  People think Skyline has a Black HS band when it reality hell it has just as many Hispanics.  Unbelievable.  Certain people you have to learn to ignore and not engage.   Enjoy being weird in Austin and enjoy the food of Great City.   

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

I have an answer but I think you want Golf and Devil Dog to answer.

I think Texas have more kids with speed not necessarily the fastest each year.  Also I think Texas Coaches put a lot of emphasis on track and many Football coaches here coach track which works on explosive take offs.  It is quite dominate across the board in the relays and it can't just be about black kids.  Georgia has a larger population of African Americans than any State yet Georgia cannot match the depth of Texas speed.  Anyone can offer conjecture.  Why do NE schools dominate in Hockey, not because they are white because they focus on Hockey and it is a culture?   It's not some magical weather. Other Southern states have the same.  Florida pound for pound right there with Texas every year with a less African American population than Georgia.  Why are they faster?  Track in Texas and Florida are right behind football and very popular and have been for many years.  Culture determines a lot of things.  Texas kids smoke others when they go head up in Relays I have seen STA get smoked in Texas, La schools, OK, Schools, and watch Texas destroy including the Great Jamaicans at the Great Southwest meet where each State sends its best stacked teams.  4 Texas HS kids ran the fastest 4x100 in history a 39.3 that would have placed in every major conference last year.  It's a culture and we have a lot of African Americans who are realistically speaking gifted with speed combined with the culture and money you get the results.  Ft. Wyatt went to Fl with that Sub 40 relay team and smoked them back in the day.  Every year without a doubt the top 10 times in the 4x100 will be TX and Fl with a few Cali and Ga teams.  Because we have a similar culture of track with similar athletes.  My two cents.  And we both play some pretty good damn football with those track kids. If you have a big time football player from either State you will usually find a Track background especially among the skill positions.  We will also dominate the 100, 200 and 400 as well not just the relays.  There might be a kid in Arkansas that runs a 10.3 every now and then and everyone else running 10.8's in Texas you will have a bunch of 10'5s every year that is unmatched anywhere.  Big ups to Florida would love to see our kids hook up more often.   BEAST STATE IN IT'S OWN RIGHT. 

WATCH THOSE DAMN JAPANESE TAKE OVER THE WORLD THIS YEAR IN THE 4X100.  YOU HEARD IT FROM ME.

• Like 1

Texas running the fastest 4x100 by 4 HS kids in history in the U.S..  Also smoking Jamaica in the Great Southwest meet against other States stacked teams.  Tx in Lane 5 in Black they ate up every leg in that relay Jamaica right next to them in 4.  This is not a meet held in Texas.

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/206639-can-any-us-high-school-relay-team-answer-calabars-3964-at-champs?utm_campaign=CalabarRelayTeam&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=Article&utm_term=USACalabarRelayTeam033017

Calabar (Jamaican sports academy with elite track sprinters) with a 39.64... Christopher Taylor ran the 2nd leg (he's Jamaica's Tyrese Cooper... very close times 100/200/400).  

Taylor's speed evidenced here... talk about a ho hum sub 21.  Sheesh.  

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LRCloIGOCO8

43 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I think Texas have more kids with speed not necessarily the fastest each year.  Also I think Texas Coaches put a lot of emphasis on track and many Football coaches here coach track which works on explosive take offs.  It is quite dominate across the board in the relays and it can't just be about black kids.  Georgia has a larger population of African Americans than any State yet Georgia cannot match the depth of Texas speed.  Anyone can offer conjecture.  Why do NE schools dominate in Hockey, not because they are white because they focus on Hockey and it is a culture?   It's not some magical weather. Other Southern states have the same.  Florida pound for pound right there with Texas every year with a less African American population than Georgia.  Why are they faster?  Track in Texas and Florida are right behind football and very popular and have been for many years.  Culture determines a lot of things.  Texas kids smoke others when they go head up in Relays I have seen STA get smoked in Texas, La schools, OK, Schools, and watch Texas destroy including the Great Jamaicans at the Great Southwest meet where each State sends its best stacked teams.  4 Texas HS kids ran the fastest 4x100 in history a 39.3 that would have placed in every major conference last year.  It's a culture and we have a lot of African Americans who are realistically speaking gifted with speed combined with the culture and money you get the results.  Ft. Wyatt went to Fl with that Sub 40 relay team and smoked them back in the day.  Every year without a doubt the top 10 times in the 4x100 will be TX and Fl with a few Cali and Ga teams.  Because we have a similar culture of track with similar athletes.  My two cents.  And we both play some pretty good damn football with those track kids. If you have a big time football player from either State you will usually find a Track background especially among the skill positions.  We will also dominate the 100, 200 and 400 as well not just the relays.  There might be a kid in Arkansas that runs a 10.3 every now and then and everyone else running 10.8's in Texas you will have a bunch of 10'5s every year that is unmatched anywhere.  Big ups to Florida would love to see our kids hook up more often.   BEAST STATE IN IT'S OWN RIGHT. 

WATCH THOSE DAMN JAPANESE TAKE OVER THE WORLD THIS YEAR IN THE 4X100.  YOU HEARD IT FROM ME.

The Japanese will not get with the Jamaicans in a big meet.  I would say us as well but we have choked too many times over the last decade.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Texas running the fastest 4x100 by 4 HS kids in history in the U.S..  Also smoking Jamaica in the Great Southwest meet against other States stacked teams.  Tx in Lane 5 in Black they ate up every leg in that relay Jamaica right next to them in 4.  This is not a meet held in Texas.

Not an elite Jamaican team.