CIFSS D1 Playoff Picture

SoCalFball

A playoff picture ofĀ Division 1 (my guess)

League Champs

• Mater Dei
  • Corona Centennial
  • Oaks Christian
  • Mission Viejo
  • Bishop Amat
  • Vista Murrieta
  • Long Beach Poly
  • Valencia

Auto Bids

• St. John Bosco
  • Jserra
  • OLU (No they technically aren't a auto bid but they will be a lock in wildcard)
  • Rancho Cucamonga
  • Murrieta Valley

On The Bubble

• ServiteĀ 
  • Santa Margarita
  • Serra
  • Chaminade
  • San Clemente

Ā 

So out of the bubbleĀ group 3 of those 5 teams will make the playoffs somehow some way.Ā 

3 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

League Champs

• Mater Dei
  • Corona Centennial
  • Oaks Christian
  • Mission Viejo
  • Bishop Amat
  • Vista Murrieta
  • Long Beach Poly
  • Valencia

Auto Bids

• St. John Bosco
  • Jserra
  • OLU (No they technically aren't a auto bid but they will be a lock in wildcard)
  • Rancho Cucamonga
  • Murrieta Valley

On The Bubble

• ServiteĀ 
  • Santa Margarita
  • Serra
  • Chaminade
  • San Clemente

Ā 

So out of the bubbleĀ group 3 of those 5 teams will make the playoffs somehow some way.Ā 

My guess Servite and Chaminade are not make the playoffs. this is what i think the bracket will look like (if bosco beats MD just flip/flop them):

image.png.16e60e8a7b781f428e687313029b55ac.png

i really want MD to play Amat again... #FUFreddyRobledo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

League Champs

• Mater Dei
  • Corona Centennial
  • Oaks Christian
  • Mission Viejo
  • Bishop Amat
  • Vista Murrieta
  • Long Beach Poly
  • Valencia

Auto Bids

• St. John Bosco
  • Jserra
  • Rancho Cucamonga
  • Murrieta Valley

On The Bubble

• ServiteĀ 
  • Santa Margarita
  • Serra
  • Chaminade
  • San Clemente

Ā 

Seems like everybody makes the playoffs. Lol

31 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

My guess Servite and Chaminade are not make the playoffs. this is what i think the bracket will look like (if bosco beats MD just flip/flop them):

image.png.16e60e8a7b781f428e687313029b55ac.png

i really want MD to play Amat again... #FUFreddyRobledo

You have the #1 and #2 from the South Coast league on the same side of the bracketĀ Ā 

You also have two matchups of league #1 vs #1 and two matchups of league #1s vs #2s. The CIF likes to matchup #2s vs #2s and #1s vs. #3s or higher.

Just now, dntn31 said:

You have the #1 and #2 from the South Coast league on the same side of the bracketĀ Ā 

You also have two matchups of league #1 vs #1 and two matchups of league #1s vs #2s. The CIF likes to matchup #2s vs #2s and #1s vs. #3s or higher.

yeah...messed around with this so i could get either Amat or Poly round 2 for MD...

I think Capo finishes 2nd in the SCL this year. SC, Tesoro and Capo aren't very different as far as talent. Maybe SC has the edge here. But, they're playing like garbage this year. The win vs. ET is a nothing burger since El Toro is on a down year. Capo just has more swagger. I hate that word, but they have an intangible that some teams capture. It's that Manning kid at QB who is their juice. I can see them winning D3.

Ā 

What would SC finishing 3rd or 4th do to the D1 brackets since Tesoro is D2?

37 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

What would SC finishing 3rd or 4th do to the D1 brackets since Tesoro is D2?

They would need to be selected as an "At Large" team andĀ It would depend on how other teams finish.

Here are the rules for the "At Large" selection process as outlined by the CIFSS Handbook:

At Large teams must have a .500 record or better for their complete schedules to be considered. A tie will count as a Ā½ win and Ā½ loss as the criteria for .500 or better record. (A record of 4-4-2 would be considered as qualifying). In the sport of football, in order to alleviate byes, if there are no .500 teams entered or all .500 or better teams have been taken, then the next best record as submitted by leagues will be taken. However, no team under .500 will be placed until all .500 at-large entries have been placed.

The Selection Committee, with the full support of the CIF-SS Football Coaches Advisory Committee, will utilize the following criteria in its selection process for at-large teams with each category below having the specific weight listed:

(a) Head-to-head competition of teams under consideration (4 points)
(b) Overall strength of the league from which the team is entered based on the end of season rankings (1 point)
(c) Overall win-loss record (1 point)
(d) Strength against common opponents (1 point)
(e) Strength of schedule (2 points, using overall win-loss record of opponents)
(f) Free lance teams will be part of the pool for the filling of at-large berths

If San Clemente loses to MV and CV they will finish 4-6.Ā By the above criteria they would only be selected as an At-Large team once all of the teams at .500 or better are selected and once all other 4-6 teams that have more tiebreaker points are also selected. There are too many permutations to go through at the moment, but the teams that have a non-trivial chance of finishing under .500 are: Servite, Santa Margarita, Serra and Chaminade.

Quick glance at the criteria:

a. There are no head to head matchups between San Clemente and these other teams so no points awarded to any teams
b. Every other team would earn the point over San Clemente since Trinity and Mission are more highly rated than the South Coast league on CalPreps
c. Teams would be tied at 4-6 so no points to any teams
d. The only common opponent is MV for San Clemente and Santa Margarita and that would be a loss for both team so no points awarded
e.Ā San Clemente current opponent W-L is 37-20 which is worse than all of the other 4 teams so a point for every other team

Basically, if San Clemente goes 4-6 they will more than likely be chosen AFTER any other team that that is currently also likely to finishĀ 4-6. Whether or not that means they are out of the playoffs entirely should be more clear after this week.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

There are too many permutations to go through at the moment, but the teams that have a non-trivial chance of finishing under .500 are: Serviteļ»æ, Santa Margarita, Serra and Chaminade.

problem for Sevite is they only have 9 games and will end up 3-6...so all the 4-6 teams will go ahead of them.

16 minutes ago, Texasvic said:

Lol why is cali like that smh its all over the place with its state titles, and auto bidsĀ 

There is only 1 bowl game that matters the Open. Best team in the North vs Best team in the South.Ā 

Also, the CIF SSĀ D1 bracket is the best play of field in the nation. The the more top 25 teams the anyother bracket out there. Not to mention the winner gets to play a top 10 ranks DLS in the Open Bowl State Championship...

1 minute ago, Eddyr2 said:

There is only 1 bowl game that matters the Open. Best team in the North vs Best team in the South.Ā 

Also, the CIF SSĀ D1 bracket is the best play of field in the nation. The the more top 25 teams the anyother bracket out there. Not to mention the winner gets to play a top 10 ranks DLS in the Open Bowl State Championship...

Anybody know why the SS won't make D1 an Open Division? It would be fun to watch the D1 runner-up smash Folsom

2 hours ago, dntn31 said:

They would need to be selected as an "At Large" team andĀ It would depend on how other teams finish.

Here are the rules for the "At Large" selection process as outlined by the CIFSS Handbook:

If San Clemente loses to MV and CV they will finish 4-6.Ā By the above criteria they would only be selected as an At-Large team once all of the teams at .500 or better are selected and once all other 4-6 teams that have more tiebreaker points are also selected. There are too many permutations to go through at the moment, but the teams that have a non-trivial chance of finishing under .500 are: Servite, Santa Margarita, Serra and Chaminade.

Quick glance at the criteria:

a. There are no head to head matchups between San Clemente and these other teams so no points awarded to any teams
b. Every other team would earn the point over San Clemente since Trinity and Mission are more highly rated than the South Coast league on CalPreps
c. Teams would be tied at 4-6 so no points to any teams
d. The only common opponent is MV for San Clemente and Santa Margarita and that would be a loss for both team so no points awarded
e.Ā San Clemente current opponent W-L is 37-20 which is worse than all of the other 4 teams so a point for every other team

Basically, if San Clemente goes 4-6 they will more than likely be chosen AFTER any other team that that is currently also likely to finishĀ 4-6. Whether or not that means they are out of the playoffs entirely should be more clear after this week.

Technically since MV just forfeited there game vs Santa Margarita they would get the point.Ā 

• Thanks 1