Anyone been to Wales?

ChimpGrip

Anyone here ever been to Wales before? Started learning Welsh last night. I think it is a fascinating and unique language, and the flag is cool too. 

Wales happens to be one of Robert Plant's favorite places to travel - particularly, Snowdonia. A lot of his songs (To be exact, Led Zeppelin's) have Welsh elements in them. Songs such as Misty Mountain Hop and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (a song named after a cottage in Gwynedd, Wales).

Attached is the flag of Wales

Welsh Dragon.png

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Anyone here ever been to Wales before? Started learning Welsh last night. I think it is a fascinating and unique language, and the flag is cool too. 

Wales happens to be one of Robert Plant's favorite places to travel - particularly, Snowdonia. A lot of his songs (To be exact, Led Zeppelin's) have Welsh elements in them. Songs such as Misty Mountain Hop and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (a song named after a cottage in Gwynedd, Wales).

Welsh Dragon.png

Impressive.  Always seemed like they somehow managed to have 13 consonants in row in a word with no vowel separation.  Keep us updated.

I spent two weeks in Scotland and Northern England about 5 years ago. I made it as far south as York. I loved it.

I like the history and the weather and the physical geography and the people. The so-called "real ale" sucks, but they have modern IPAs etc. too. The whisky is nice. British food mostly sucks, but they have great Chinese and Indian food restaurants. 

I never made it to Wales though. 

On 10/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, Hardcore Troubador said:

Impressive.  Always seemed like they somehow managed to have 13 consonants in row in a word with no vowel separation.  Keep us updated.

Will do. It's been a bit trick trying to balance three languages at once plus 12 hours of coursework in my final semester. BUT, so far, so good. I find Wales and the rest of the UK to be fascinating. 

On 10/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, Belly Bob said:

I spent two weeks in Scotland and Northern England about 5 years ago. I made it as far south as York. I loved it.

I like the history and the weather and the physical geography and the people. The so-called "real ale" sucks, but they have modern IPAs etc. too. The whisky is nice. British food mostly sucks, but they have great Chinese and Indian food restaurants. 

I never made it to Wales though. 

What do people there think of Americans? Did you see any of the royal residences?

Man I want to go, but still in school! 😒 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/travel/12-welsh-villages-beautiful-youll-13797403

I want to go to numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Thumbs up for Plant 👍

just sayin lol

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 1:11 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Welsh Dragon.png

Been through Wales, but was in my 20's when certain things were more important to me than others.  My take was that the food was bland, the weather was gloomy, and the people had a chip on their shoulders. I thought a tanning salon chain would have the potential to do real well there -- lots of pale, pasty folks running around.

Maybe I'd appreciate it more now, but I've got many other places I'd rather check out before I go back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:16 AM, Troll said:

Thumbs up for Plant 👍

just sayin lol

Yes I am a HUGE fan of Plant. You should hear his songs Heaven Knows and Little By Little. For a great, non mainstream LZ song, listen to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Phenomenal instrumentals. 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:21 AM, maxchoboian said:

Been through Wales, but was in my 20's when certain things were more important to me than others.  My take was that the food was bland, the weather was gloomy, and the people had a chip on their shoulders. I thought a tanning salon chain would have the potential to do real well there -- lots of pale, pasty folks running around.

Maybe I'd appreciate it more now, but I've got many other places I'd rather check out before I go back.

Not surprised that people are pale. It does seem gloomy. I guess what I find most attractive about it are the rural areas and villages. The 500 year old tea houses are oddly fascinating, but maybe they're not all that. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 9:56 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Will do. It's been a bit trick trying to balance three languages at once plus 12 hours of coursework in my final semester. BUT, so far, so good. I find Wales and the rest of the UK to be fascinating. 

What do people there think of Americans? Did you see any of the royal residences?

Man I want to go, but still in school! 😒 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/travel/12-welsh-villages-beautiful-youll-13797403

I want to go to numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9.

I saw some royal residences, but that's not my thing. I like castles (which are sometimes the same thing) and battlefields and cathedrals and old churches and ruins, especially Roman ruins, and museums. 

Regarding Americans, the only thing I could get out of them was that it's very annoying when an American taps you on the shoulder and says excuse me when he or she (the American) wants to squeeze by in a crowded spot. The proper British way is to say excuse me as you're passing by, even if you have to put your hands on the person and move them a bit as you're passing by. 

That's all I could get, but I can imagine that it would be hard to say Americans suck to an American. Everyone I met was very friendly to me. I had a great time, and even after 2 weeks in late December and early January, I wasn't ready to leave. 

I think you'd like it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

How does one drink "too much" Guinness or any other type beer for that matter? 😈

Well, I'll share.

I worked with an Irish guy in the States, and when I was over there he took me to a small Irish village where his girlfriend lived, about an hour drive from Cork. The village had only one pub for centuries, and when I was there a competing pub opened. So I helped them celebrate. For a long time.

I woke up to the smell of bacon cooking on a Sunday morning, in the house of a young couple who had participated in the prior day's celebration. My buddy and his girlfriend had snuck out some time the night before, and I had no idea where I was or where i was going to stay. So the couple let me stay in one of their beds. And after a hardy breakfast they took me to a Christening in the village, which ended up being for the nephew of my buddy's girlfriend (we may have discussed something along those lines the night before, but I didn't recall that part of the pub festivities). I wasn't feeling real well at all.

The grandfather of the child being Christened (buddy's girlfriend's father), who was no small Irishman at all, shook my hand and welcomed me to the ceremony, then promptly gave me a number of shots of Bushmills (it was not yet noon) with no option for me to decline. He said I should always be careful with how much beer I have in one sitting, as calling him a leprechaun late the previous night almost got me roughed up, disrobed, and thrown in a field of sheep for the evening. He also told me my karaoke was not very good.

With him laughing at me, I made my way to the nearest toilet where I proceeded to piss tar for about 5 minutes, indicative of the stout from the night before -- I think I had too much Guinness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Well, I'll share.

I worked with an Irish guy in the States, and when I was over there he took me to a small Irish village where his girlfriend lived, about an hour drive from Cork. The village had only one pub for centuries, and when I was there a competing pub opened. So I helped them celebrate. For a long time.

I woke up to the smell of bacon cooking on a Sunday morning, in the house of a young couple who had participated in the prior day's celebration. My buddy and his girlfriend had snuck out some time the night before, and I had no idea where I was or where i was going to stay. So the couple let me stay in one of their beds. And after a hardy breakfast they took me to a Christening in the village, which ended up being for the nephew of my buddy's girlfriend (we may have discussed something along those lines the night before, but I didn't recall that part of the pub festivities). I wasn't feeling real well at all.

The grandfather of the child being Christened (buddy's girlfriend's father), who was no small Irishman at all, shook my hand and welcomed me to the ceremony, then promptly gave me a number of shots of Bushmills (it was not yet noon) with no option for me to decline. He said I should always be careful with how much beer I have in one sitting, as calling him a leprechaun late the previous night almost got me roughed up, disrobed, and thrown in a field of sheep for the evening. He also told me my karaoke was not very good.

With him laughing at me, I made my way to the nearest toilet where I proceeded to piss tar for about 5 minutes, indicative of the stout from the night before -- I think I had too much Guinness.

Good story, nothing better than sharing a "war story." lol

11 hours ago, noonereal said:

How is one drink "too much" Guinness or any other type beer for that matter? 😈

It's a good a question.

Although reasonable people may disagree, my own answer is that if you make a hard pass in the morning, then you had too much Guinness the night before.

Or see max's post above.

And I thought I was a pretty big drinker until I went to Scotland. We stayed in a physician's beach house north of Edinburgh for two nights, but we had bad weather. (What a shock.) So we were hold up inside. The six of us drank from the time we woke up until the time we passed out. None of us guests really asked for booze. It was just poured, and never stopped. White wine and beer with breakfast; champagne and beer throughout the afternoon; red wine and whisky at night. People's eyes were going in different directions; sweat was pouring from people's foreheads; people would be there one minute talking, asleep the next, and back at it again later; a big guy passed out hard and couldn't be woken or carried up the stairs, so we dragged him into the back and left him on a dog's cushion. These were all adults with jobs in medicine and finance, but they acted like it was business as usual. 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2018 at 3:11 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Welsh Dragon.png

Cardiff with over a million in the metro area is the largest city in Wales.  It is in the south of Wales, about three hours west of London.  Almost everyone speaks English.  There is a whole different Wales where the Welch language is primarily spoken but it is in a different part of the country.