LSU offers Colquitt County CB Jay Ward

RedZone

Man, I know that Jay really probably will be able to pick wherever he wants to go in the power 5 schools by the end of the season. 

I also know that he's a Kentucky commit. Colquitt has a little history with Tennessee and Kentucky as far as Rush and contacts go. I don't have any idea where the kid will end up. I know that kids try to make the best decisions for them and their families, as far as that stuff goes. 

I was probably one of the first people, outside of Coach Polite and the rest of the coaches at Colquitt to really start bragging on Jay. The talent and nose for the ball was evident to me pretty early on. Maybe even one of his first varsity starts, as I don't have the time to see many underclass games. I think I called him spider man because of how he appeared to be able to magically change directions in mid air when a ball carrier made a cut and Jay was already committed to tackle him by jumping over another defender that was in the path but slightly out of position to make a tackle. Yes. He appeared to change directions in midair basically 5 feet in the air over another defender and make a tackle. 

He's a good team player firstly, and then he's more than that. His heart is where it's at for me. Some kids have talent. Some kids have heart. Some kids have both. Jay Ward has both. Man, when the defense is in a bind, and the opposition is moving the ball or whatever, and the team needs a spark or a stop, Jay will flash into the picture from 40 yards away to make a tackle or help with a tackle or whatever. No defensive player puts more effort into a game than Jay in my opinion

He's a winner. Awesome that he's getting more offers so that he isn't stuck with one great option as to where to go. Everyone close in knew that he would get opportunities more than just Kentucky. 

Awesome stuff. 

Jay deserves every opportunity in the world. Very excited for him. Coach Dextra Polite deserves some credit too, for working and honing the evident talent early and ending up with a power five cover corner in Jay Ward. 

A fan like me can't really say enough about the staff and kids. I try to spare everyone the huge spill most of the time, because I could type on for days about what I have the joy of watching go on down here week in and out. Big time stuff. Kids going to college. Kids going on to make millions in the NFL. Dammit. I might shed a tear. Great kids going on to great things. 

• Like 2

A bit off topic, but, the funny thing is, this talent was always here. This type of kid has always been in Moultrie and. we've had some decent football teams here and there in the past, however, pre-Rush Propst, we never had the development and advancement of these kids like we have with Rush. 

There is always a group or whatever of people in Moultrie that are either jealous, or just want to cause problems. That entire load of folks are ignorant and don't really see the value in these kids like Rush and his staff does. Say what you want, but, he gets results and brings the best out of these kids. They have opportunities today that they would never have had if they were playing Packer football 15 years ago. That opportunity isn't solely because of Rush, but, by god, there wasn't the same level of opportunity for kids here before he got here. He and Stefnie organized people and made this shit happen. They deserve all the props in the world for it.

Nobody down here has ever worked as hard to get these kids ready. Nobody has made the calls to recruiters and scouts like Rush has. 

We have people that claim they have kids interests in mind. If they do, they're ignorant to what is in the best interest of a good number of kids. 

We could just as easily still be a 1st round playoff loser every year, if we're lucky enough to sniff the playoffs, and not have 1 or 2 kids a year going to college on football scholie. Just like the old days.  

Go Jay Go! Go Pack Go!

• Like 4

Well, young Jay Ward definitely has something to think about.

LSU is considered by many to be DBU.....debatable, I guess. BUT, they pump the NFL with DBs which is NOT debatable.

https://n.rivals.com/news/which-school-is-dbu-five-schools-stake-their-claim

"If" he wants to be a Tiger, I say welcome aboard...

Best of luck either way.

• Like 2

When I heard the news today I said to a coworker that he would be dumb not to go to DBU... I dunno how solid his Kentucky commit is. Rush tends to impress on his players to commit early, because you can always change you mind.

my old boss is his uncle, I’ll bend his ear in a couple weeks and see where he is leaning.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Tyrann Mathieu (aka Honey Badger) from St Aug was a 3*  and had Jay Ward type offers when LSU offered late in the game.....he committed to LSU and they bumped him to a 4*.

Point of the exercise was it worked out pretty well for the Badger. Making lots of cash now.

I never trust the star system.  Fairfield, OH had two  big time players in the 2018 class.  One on the offensive line and one on the defensive line. One was a 5 star and the other a 4 star.  If you saw them live you would swear the kid that ended up at UC, Malik Vann was the 5 star and the the kid that ended up at Clemson,  Jackson Carman was the 4 star.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedZone said:

it's like ranking high school football teams....

What genius can rank 1 million high school football players?

A lot fall under the radar as I'm positive a lot of high school teams do too.

Camp warriors.  Some of these kids don't have the resources to attend all of these camps.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Tyrann Mathieu (aka Honey Badger) from St Aug was a 3*  and had Jay Ward type offers when LSU offered late in the game.....he committed to LSU and they bumped him to a 4*.

Point of the exercise was it worked out pretty well for the Badger. Making lots of cash now.

Honey Badger should open a chain of Pot dispensaries.

Considering his past experience.

Just saying, not hatin'.

Regards,

BGW

25 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

A lot coaches around here don't like for their players to go galavanting around for camps throughout the off-season.

Until recently...

Lowndes and Valdosta partnered with Nike to start hosting camps during the  summer and off months .... 

For the exact same reason npt said.,.. 

South GA players going unnoticed.... 

And it's actually worked well... 

They had athletes from as far as Miami,Mobile and Pensacola show up....

5 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Camp warriors.  Some of these kids don't have the resources to attend all of these camps.  

21 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

A bit off topic, but, the funny thing is, this talent was always here. This type of kid has always been in Moultrie and. we've had some decent football teams here and there in the past, however, pre-Rush Propst, we never had the development and advancement of these kids like we have with Rush. 

There is always a group or whatever of people in Moultrie that are either jealous, or just want to cause problems. That entire load of folks are ignorant and don't really see the value in these kids like Rush and his staff does. Say what you want, but, he gets results and brings the best out of these kids. They have opportunities today that they would never have had if they were playing Packer football 15 years ago. That opportunity isn't solely because of Rush, but, by god, there wasn't the same level of opportunity for kids here before he got here. He and Stefnie organized people and made this shit happen. They deserve all the props in the world for it.

Nobody down here has ever worked as hard to get these kids ready. Nobody has made the calls to recruiters and scouts like Rush has. 

We have people that claim they have kids interests in mind. If they do, they're ignorant to what is in the best interest of a good number of kids. 

We could just as easily still be a 1st round playoff loser every year, if we're lucky enough to sniff the playoffs, and not have 1 or 2 kids a year going to college on football scholie. Just like the old days.  

Go Jay Go! Go Pack Go!

What will happen when Rush leaves?  Is there anyone to keep his programs going?

6 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

I’m not really worried about that eventuality. There are several former assistants that would jump at the chance to take the program over with all of the resources and pay available to the next head coach

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Until recently...

Lowndes and Valdosta partnered with Nike to start hosting camps during the  summer and off months .... 

For the exact same reason npt said.,.. 

South GA players going unnoticed.... 

And it's actually worked well... 

They had athletes from as far as Miami,Mobile and Pensacola show up....

It's not the athletes showing up that's the problem. 

It's getting recruiters to fly in to Jax or ATL and rent a car and drive 3 or 4 hours to see the kids in the camps. 

38 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

And those players won't get a high star rating for it, even though they could be monsters on the actual football field.

Agreed.

And that lack of star rating for the players translates into lower rankings in the national polls which is the reason a majority of the teams you see ranked (especially early in the season) are metro area teams. The polls love star power.

12 minutes ago, ron169 said:

I’m not really worried about that eventuality. There are several former assistants that would jump at the chance to take the program over with all of the resources and pay available to the next head coach

Do they have the connections Rush has?  I hope you’re right but I can see him being a single-point failure.

Of course I don’t know anything but what I read and infer on here.

23 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

When Rush leaves... 

I know a lot of people think a lot of things. This guy can come in and do it. That guy can come in and do it. Etc. 

The truth is, nobody can do it, or will do it like he does. 

I figure we'll take a step back. The difference will be going from a top 10 to 25 team most years to top 50 to 100. Similar to Hoover I'd imagine. 

There's good coaches out there, but, there just isn't many that will put in the work outside of the playbook and practice, if you follow what I'm saying. 

There's a lot of working parts that most people don't know about or care to know. Most people see the end product and think "Yay, we have a good team again." 

It takes having a coach in place that gets the kids to buy in, and the adults that volunteer to buy in also. As soon as kids stop getting college offers and/or winning games like we do, the moms and dads will stop volunteering to give up their evenings and weekends to cook and serve the team etc. 

The player development will draw back due to that. 

Slow snowball back probably would be my best guess.

Now, I'd hope it wouldn't be like that. He likely will have left us in a great situation. I mean, the resources are here. The indoor facility. The turf. The fan base. 

It's the little details that will drag us back I think. The extra phone calls in an extensive contact list. Getting the right assistants to come on board and give up their home life for the season. 

• Like 1