OT: World Series

Bormio

6 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Good question! Their top 4 home run hitters were out of the lineup in the these first two games. It’s hard to diss Roberts based on how far the Dodgers have made it. But this is hard to defend when you lose with your best players on the bench.  Sometimes you need to manage with gut and instincts instead of by what a computer tells you. Great example is when he took out Baez in game 1 after he overpowered the previous 2 batters and brought in Wood to have a lefty versus lefty matchup. The result was predictable - 3-run home run. 

Fully agree with this. I think the computer has a “part” in analysis, but you still need the players who will execute. Why go with a lefty/ lefty  or right / right match up if that is going to throw a cock shot anyway. Instinct has to still be used.

Still don’t understand why more players refuse to bunt against the shift. Even a power guy. I’ve seen a tied game late where teams are giving a lead off hitter a single with their defense with the shift. Yet guys will not take advantage of it.

****Full disclosure****

I am absolutely loving how this series has started 😂. Go Sox.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Fully agree with this. I think the computer has a “part” in analysis, but you still need the players who will execute. Why go with a lefty/ lefty  or right / right match up if that is going to throw a cock shot anyway. Instinct has to still be used.

Still don’t understand why more players refuse to bunt against the shift. Even a power guy. I’ve seen a tied game late where teams are giving a lead off hitter a single with their defense with the shift. Yet guys will not take advantage of it.

****Full disclosure****

I am absolutely loving how this series has started 😂. Go Sox.

I love me some Giants fans

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Dont u people find it mind numbing. It's so boring. Isnt it getting left in the dust. I gotta give you guys credit for watching such a slow boring sport. It baseball could get down to about an hour and a half game maybe I'll watch it 

More exciting than 99% of Alabama football games

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Dont u people find it mind numbing. It's so boring. Isnt it getting left in the dust. I gotta give you guys credit for watching such a slow boring sport. It baseball could get down to about an hour and a half game maybe I'll watch it 

It’s a nuance sport and I would agree that the regular season can become tedious but playoff baseball ️ is completely compelling 

• Like 1

Just now, Ararar said:

It’s a nuance sport and I would agree that the regular season can become tedious but playoff baseball ️ is completely compelling 

I dont get it. But to each there own. I really didnt rhink a bunch of football guys could ever watch baseball. I think the last full baseball game I watched was maybe 15 years ago. 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

No way. 100k screaming fans. People actually hitting each other. Lot more entertaining. Every player actually playing on every down instead of watching a pitcher throw a ball and maybe something will happen. 

Have you watched the playoffs? People stand practically the whole game in anticipation 

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

He obviously doesn’t watch Kimbrel pitch enough.  That is usually too much excitement.

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

Kelly was wicked last night... sick stuff he had.  The wiffle ball movement and change of speeds was ridiculous.  He's got that Michael Douglas Falling Down character look to boot :)  

Kelly has had a wild year.  Blew a 4 run lead vs Tampa Bay on Opening Day, got in a beanball war and fight with the Yankees (initiating the Joe Kelly Fight Club), could not throw a strike in August and September, and has been filthy in October. Go figure....

19 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Red Sox coaching has always treated bunting like Matt Logan treats wild goal opportunities.  Just swing for the wall.

Small ball is not a Red Sox staple.  But they are not station to station either.  They have good speed and will use it - steal a fair # of bases at a very high percentage.

• Like 2

Sox have a really potent offense. It’s not the Yanks all or nothing and it ain’t the Giants futile lack of power or contact.

They have a line up full of hitters. It seems they put guys on just about every inning. They put the pitcher in the stretch and make for a lot of high stress innings. Seems like they had the Stros on the ropes the whole ALCS. Do that enough you make pitching wary, managers make more moves then they need or want to and eventually the Houndi act of somehow escaping a big inning runs out of luck......and bam, a guy like Nunes hits the knock out blow. 

4 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

I havent watched baseball in about 15 years. I dont want anticipation I want action on every play. Not oh shit something may happen sooner or later. 

Like you’re the gold standard for what people should or should not watch.

If you don’t like baseball don’t watch it.

Just don’t judge other people by your preferences.