Ohio State 45 Northwestern 24

TheMaximumHornetSting

2 hours ago, concha said:

45-24

Worst loss for Northwestern this year.

ND is supposed to finish top four and beat them by 10. It was a 3-point game until inside three minutes.

36-3

Worst loss for Syracuse this year.

Clemson is supposed to finish top four and beat them by 4. Syracuse was winning with less than a minute to play.

Not saying ND would win or lose against Ohio State, but you'd have to consider the Syracuse games too, if you want to use the Northwestern results in an argument for Ohio State and against ND.

11 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

36-3

Clemson is supposed to finish top four and beat them by 4. Syracuse was winning with less than a minute to play.

Not saying ND would win or lose against Ohio State, but you'd have to consider the Syracuse games too, if you want to use the Northwestern results in an argument for Ohio State and against ND.

Nah, doesn’t fit narrative. Don’t twist fiction with these facts.

Bama, Clemson, ND and Okla are the final four.

8 hours ago, concha said:

45-24

Worst loss for Northwestern this year.

ND is supposed to finish top four and beat them by 10. It was a 3-point game until inside three minutes.

#7 Michigan beat Northwestern by 3.

The #112 defense in the land gets a shot at the 'Ship.

Your football posts always amuse....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

36-3

ND went undefeated but their best win by far was Syracuse - ranked #20.

Both Ohio State and ND played Michigan and Northwestern this year and Ohio State's wins were markedly more impressive.

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

Oklahoma is in...might as well book it. 

Head for the Rose Bowl, beat up on UW, and call it a nice year. 👍

Don't disagree.

That said, if you told committee members their lives were on the line playing against Alabama and they had to choose to field either Oklahoma or Ohio State against the Tide... who do you think most would choose?  The team with defensive issues or the team with no defense at all (ranked #111 in yards surrendered and #100 in points given up)?

And keep in mind that Kyler Murray would NOT be facing a Big 12 defense.

1 hour ago, FloTex said:

49-20 was worse loss of the year on CFB.

And they followed that up by struggling with Nebraska.  

That loss, and all the near losses to bad teams will stick in the minds of the committee.

Understand.

Though it would be nice for folks to recognize that Oklahoma was held to 21 points and taken into OT by Army (zero Power 5 wins), beat Ok St on a failed 2-pt conversion, and dropped nearly 50 ppg in final four weeks of the regular season to teams sporting a 22-25 record.  You hear all about Ohio State's struggles while the Sooners' issues are generally dismissed as "defensive struggles (let's talk about something else)".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

36-3

Ok... Notre Dame beat Vanderbilt 22-17

They beat 4-8 Ball St. 24-16

They beat Pitt 19-14 

They beat a shit USC team 24-17

Get out of here with Notre Dame. A waste of a playoff spot and a pointless team thatll be basically a free ticket to the title game for Clemson or Alabama.

Notre Dame shouldnt be in for the same reason UCF isnt.

Its sad when your best claim to the playoffs is a win over Syracuse.

1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

They beat Pitt 19-14 

Get out of here with Notre Dame. A waste of a playoff spot and a pointless team thatll be basically a free ticket to the title game for Clemson or Alabama

We could all go through this exercise with Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, etc. Don't pretend your take is any different than what could be presented for or against any of those teams.

Just remember, the constant in all your ND scores above is "beat." 2-loss teams should recognize that.

Would Oklahoma be a "waste of a playoff spot and a pointless team thatll be basically a free ticket to the title game for Clemson or Alabama", and how about Ohio State? Same thing? 

What's Georgia's schedule next year? They should have a good team. Good luck to them. They're fun to watch.

23 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

They beat Pitt 19-14 

Get out of here with Notre Dame. A waste of a playoff spot and a pointless team thatll be basically a free ticket to the title game for Clemson or Alabama.

Notre Dame shouldnt be in for the same reason UCF isnt.

Its sad when your best claim to the playoffs is a win over Syracuse.

ND will never and I say never schedule an Ohio Valley Conference team.  ND will never and I mean never schedule someone from the Southern Conference.  ND will never and I say never schedule someone from the Big Sky Conference.  ND will never and I say never schedule someone from the Southland Conference.  Do you see where I'm going with this.  

What they do have on the schedule is teams from 4 of the 5 Power 5 conference.  This year it so happens that not all ND opponents were way above average like they have been the past 4 years.

11 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

ND will never and I say never schedule an Ohio Valley Conference team.  ND will never and I mean never schedule someone from the Southern Conference.  ND will never and I say never schedule someone from the Big Sky Conference.  ND will never and I say never schedule someone from the Southland Conference.  Do you see where I'm going with this.  

What they do have on the schedule is teams from 4 of the 5 Power 5 conference.  This year it so happens that not all ND opponents were way above average like they have been the past 4 years.

I was looking through ND's all time Football history... 

Damn is it long...

Michigan and OSU are the only Big 10 schools with a winning record vs ND 

Michigan 24-18-4 vs ND 

OSU 4-2 vs ND 

PAC-12 no school has a winning record vs ND 

SEC only 1 team has winning record vs ND

Georgia is 2-0 vs ND 

Alabama is 5-12 vs ND 

ACC only FSU has a winning record vs ND at 6-3

22 hours ago, concha said:

Don't disagree.

That said, if you told committee members their lives were on the line playing against Alabama and they had to choose to field either Oklahoma or Ohio State against the Tide... who do you think most would choose?  The team with defensive issues or the team with no defense at all (ranked #111 in yards surrendered and #100 in points given up)?

I'd go with the latter because they have a much better offense IMO. OU/OSU both have horrible run defenses, and will get pummeled by Bama's run game. Both will need turnovers to win the game. OU has a QB that can make more plays with their legs against a team that is known to get hurt by mobile QB's(Haskins is mobile, but he's not Murray)

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

I'd go with the latter because they have a much better offense IMO. OU/OSU both have horrible run defenses, and will get pummeled by Bama's run game. Both will need turnovers to win the game. OU has a QB that can make more plays with their legs against a team that is known to get hurt by mobile QB's(Haskins is mobile, but he's not Murray)

Not sure how OU's offense is "much better". Both highly ranked. Led by Heisman candidates. I don't think there is much debate over Ohio State facing tougher defenses.

Ohio State's d-line is stout. The weaker linebacker corps has been improving, especially with Borland recovering.

Bottom line is that against OU, Bama names their score. The Bucks have better d-line and talent overall on defense and would at least get some stops.

6 minutes ago, concha said:

Not sure how OU's offense is "much better". Both highly ranked. Led by Heisman candidates. I don't think there is much debate over Ohio State facing tougher defenses.

Ohio State's d-line is stout. The weaker linebacker corps has been improving, especially with Borland recovering.

Bottom is line is that against OU, Bama names their score. The Bucks have better d-line and talent overall on defense and would at least get some stops.

OU's offense is more fluid.

Ohio State's D-line is good, but their run defense has been thrashed all season long. The past two games doesn't make OSU's defense any better. Northwestern has one of the worst run offenses in college football, and MIchigan's run game and entire offense depended on wearing teams out till they pounded them out in the 4th. Obviously being down big you're not going to keep pounding the rock.

OSU has better talent on defense, but they wouldn't get stops. Maryland who does nothing but run the ball, did just that to OSU. OU and OSU would need turnovers/Personal foul penalties on Bama's offense to get stops.

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

OU's offense is more fluid.

Ohio State's D-line is good, but their run defense has been thrashed all season long. The past two games doesn't make OSU's defense any better. Northwestern has one of the worst run offenses in college football, and MIchigan's run game and entire offense depended on wearing teams out till they pounded them out in the 4th. Obviously being down big you're not going to keep pounding the rock.

OSU has better talent on defense, but they wouldn't get stops. Maryland who does nothing but run the ball, did just that to OSU. OU and OSU would need turnovers/Personal foul penalties on Bama's offense to get stops.

Exactly!  OSU struggled badly on defense once Bosa went down.