Jalen hurts will transfer

HSFBfan

2 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

This outlines my concerns about him. I'm not saying the kid doesn't have a nice future in the NFL eventually, but I just don't believe anyone really knows how good he might be.

He got thrown into the limelight late in that Championship game against Georgia last year -- and I'm pretty confident the Bulldogs didn't do a lot of scouting on him beforehand -- and made that game winning play. But many forget he made a pretty bad play just before it.

This season he looked great until finally facing a couple defenses that were able to pressure him consistently. Georgia and Clemson. I've said this many times. Any solid QB should look great and perform exceptionally well when consistently afforded a clean pocket and time to throw. But what truly separates the great from the merely good or adequate is finding ways to escape pressure and make plays under duress.

Does anybody know if Tua or even Trevor Lawrence can do that yet? I don't think so. Both Bama and Clemson have exceptional o-lines and rarely face opposition that can pressure their QB. Lawrence threw from a clean pocket most of the game the other night.

As a starter, Tua didn't finish either game when he was consistently pressured against GA and Clemson. It's certainly something to pay attention to next season.

BTW, for those that have a sense of humor, I saw someone mocking Tua's name on twitter by calling him 'Tua Turntheballova'. Silly, yes. But I still got a chuckle out of it.

Tua had 6 ints all year. Not bad for his first full season. 

Tua as good as he is had flaws....he get fixed on his first read. He missed check downs. 

Also because he is a one read guy he throws into traffic. 

Also he doesnt get rid of the ball and live another down. He tries to extend the play for too long. 

• Like 1

Hurts should go to whichever school will provide the best path to the pros for him. 

At this point in time winning a Natty should b secondary. He's already got one of those and only has experienced losing 3 times in his college career. Twice against Clumpson and once v Aubrurn.

41 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Hurts should go to whichever school will provide the best path to the pros for him. 

At this point in time winning a Natty should b secondary. He's already got one of those and only has experienced losing 3 times in his college career. Twice against Clumpson and once v Aubrurn.

Hurts record is 26-2

I agree that Tua should be the starter over Jalen.

However, it would be mistake to believe that Tua does not have flaws in his game.

I get that he can scramble -  Was not impressed the other night watching him move in the pocket -  He often ran in circles and took his eyes off the field -  did anyone else notice some of this?

Late in the game he did scramble out to the left sideline and made nice throw down field.   Staying in the pocket and moving within the pocket enough to make throw - he needs to work on this.

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Hurts record is 26-2

He lost the Clemson twice and to Auburn once. Maybe they're not counting his last loss because he didn't start. So as a starter he  is 26 and 2, but my statement was correct because he's experienced three losses total in college since he's been at Alabama.

21 minutes ago, 181pl said:

He lost the Clemson twice and to Auburn once. Maybe they're not counting his last loss because he didn't start. So as a starter he  is 26 and 2, but my statement was correct because he's experienced three losses total in college since he's been at Alabama.

Ok well than were both right. Hes record as a starter is 26-2. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Not bad, but also all against defenses with a pulse. That's the concern. What happens once he's facing pressure week in and week out?

Wasn't Tua dealing with a ankle injury or something like that?  If you don't have your feet and legs working right many things do not work right.  Idk though.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Not bad, but also all against defenses with a pulse. That's the concern. What happens once he's facing pressure week in and week out?

I agree with you......he has flaws. But only has 15 games under his belt and in alot of games he was sitting by the 4th quarter. He may only have like 11-12 full games. Hell only have 30 games as a starter when he goes to the nfl. 

If you look above I listed some negatives about him 

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Wasn't Tua dealing with a ankle injury or something like that?  If you don't have your feet and legs working right many things do not work right.  Idk though.  

That's a good point. IDK whether he had the injury going into the GA game, but he was affected during the playoffs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I agree with you......he has flaws. But only has 15 games under his belt and in alot of games he was sitting by the 4th quarter. He may only have like 11-12 full games. Hell only have 30 games as a starter when he goes to the nfl. 

If you look above I listed some negatives about him 

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trashing the kid or saying he can't live up to the lofty expectations or become a quality NFL QB. I'm just making the point that based upon current circumstance, we really don't know how good he is. If he really is an NFL caliber talent, he should look great with the time he's afforded in the pocket and the talent he has around him. Same goes for Trevor Lawrence.

We need to see more performances when he's under some pressure and duress. He really needs to be tested for his development.

2 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trashing the kid or saying he can't live up to the lofty expectations or become a quality NFL QB. I'm just making the point that based upon current circumstance, we really don't know how good he is. If he really is an NFL caliber talent, he should look great with the time he's afforded in the pocket and the talent he has around him. Same goes for Trevor Lawrence.

We need to see more performances when he's under some pressure and duress. He really needs to be tested for his development.

I agree but he can only play the teams on the schedule. And unfortunately as much as I am an sec fan and obv an alabama fan there isnt that many great QBs in the league. The closest games before playing UGA was alabama winning by 22. This hasnt helped tua and his development. Most of the time jeudy or waddle is wide open and he can show case that arm. But when the pocket gets messy he makes mistakes and there is no denying that. 

Btw just to keep everyone up to date alabama has lost multiple coaches again this year. Gattis just left for Michigan 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I agree but he can only play the teams on the schedule. And unfortunately as much as I am an sec fan and obv an alabama fan there isnt that many great QBs in the league. The closest games before playing UGA was alabama winning by 22. This hasnt helped tua and his development. Most of the time jeudy or waddle is wide open and he can show case that arm. But when the pocket gets messy he makes mistakes and there is no denying that. 

Btw just to keep everyone up to date alabama has lost multiple coaches again this year. Gattis just left for Michigan 

Agreed about the schedule. Although it'd be nice to see Nick Saban challenge his team a bit more early in the season. The high profile games don't always have to be at a neutral site!

At least you are a Bama fan that can see the obvious. All I've read about this season ( esp. after the game-winning TD in the title game) is how he's the next great thing. He very well may be. But we really don't know.

Now Trevor Lawrence is the flavor of the month. And he may be the real deal too. But we really don't know either!

These two cats play for what's proven to be the best two programs over the past 4 years. They arguably have the 2 best lines in the game. Their QB's have barely been tested. The average fan doesn't seem to recognize that.

When DeShaun Watson did what he did at Clemson, I saw him tested and consistently make plays under duress. Hopefully Lawrence and Tua will show out the same.

Just now, ThunderRam said:

Agreed about the schedule. Although it'd be nice to see Nick Saban challenge his team a bit more early in the season. The high profile games don't always have to be at a neutral site!

At least you are a Bama fan that can see the obvious. All I've read about this season ( esp. after the game-winning TD in the title game) is how he's the next great thing. He very well may be. But we really don't know.

Now Trevor Lawrence is the flavor of the month. And he may be the real deal too. But we really don't know either!

These two cats play for what's proven to be the best two programs over the past 4 years. They arguably have the 2 best lines in the game. Their QB's have barely been tested. The average fan doesn't seem to recognize that.

When DeShaun Watson did what he did at Clemson, I saw him tested and consistently make plays under duress. Hopefully Lawrence and Tua will show out the same.

Lawrence came in this year for Kelly Bryant and did his thing. Kid is a beast. No doubt about it. Had all day to throw their ball and took advantage of it. But now everyone can step back and find an flaws on tape for next year. I think that's where they are catching up to tua. They are watching him on tape and finding his flaws. 

Could only hope tua becomes like Watson. Would be a hell of a qb. 

I'm not sure why saban likes everything at a neutral site but I agree. I wouldnt mind seeing alabama travel to another team home field. I just dont know whose out there to play out of conference. Clemson will never agree to a week 1 game. 

Alabama has beaten teams from all over. I'd love to see alabama vs Michigan. Alabama Ohio state would have been good with urban. I think teams see the writing on the wall and if you lose your season is done. So why set up a huge game to lose and end your season. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

I'm not sure why saban likes everything at a neutral site but I agree. I wouldnt mind seeing alabama travel to another team home field. I just dont know whose out there to play out of conference. Clemson will never agree to a week 1 game. 

Alabama has beaten teams from all over. I'd love to see alabama vs Michigan. Alabama Ohio state would have been good with urban. I think teams see the writing on the wall and if you lose your season is done. So why set up a huge game to lose and end your season. 

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but yeah I get that it's not easy. But I still think there are programs willing to step up and play Bama especially at home. I remember tOSU traveling to USC (when they were good), Oklahoma and TCU (TCU eventually opted to play at Arlington because of the $$) early on in the season. No reason Bama can't do the same. I'll bet tOSU would be willing to do a home and home.

Sure, it hurts whichever team loses, but not as badly as it seems. Early season losses can be made up. Especially if the loss comes at the hands of a Bama or tOSU. It doesn't totally derail the season. For the winning team, they are all but a shoe in. That's essentially what happened for the Buckeyes when they went into Norman and won a few years back. It helped them to overcome that last second close loss to PSU and still get selected for the CFP.

I suppose Saban feels they will make the playoff regardless so no need to challenge themselves unnecessarily. I can see the logic in that. However, had they lost out on the CFP selection to tOSU in 2017 (which likely would have happened if the Buckeyes loss to Iowa wasn't in blowout fashion) it might have changed that thinking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but yeah I get that it's not easy. But I still think there are programs willing to step up and play Bama especially at home. I remember tOSU traveling to USC (when they were good), Oklahoma and TCU (TCU eventually opted to play at Arlington because of the $$) early on in the season. No reason Bama can't do the same. I'll bet tOSU would be willing to do a home and home.

Sure, it hurts whichever team loses, but not as badly as it seems. Early season losses can be made up. Especially if the loss comes at the hands of a Bama or tOSU. It doesn't totally derail the season. For the winning team, they are all but a shoe in. That's essentially what happened for the Buckeyes when they went into Norman and won a few years back. It helped them to overcome that last second close loss to PSU and still get selected for the CFP.

I suppose Saban feels they will make the playoff regardless so no need to challenge themselves unnecessarily. I can see the logic in that. However, had they lost out on the CFP selection to tOSU in 2017 (which likely would have happened if the Buckeyes loss to Iowa wasn't in blowout fashion) it might have changed that thinking.

This is what I can think of.....with the emergence of Georgia if alabama was to lose to team x in week 1 and than lose to UGA in sec title game or a fluke loss to Auburn they will be done. You cant risk that

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Lawrence came in this year for Kelly Bryant and did his thing. Kid is a beast. No doubt about it. Had all day to throw their ball and took advantage of it. But now everyone can step back and find an flaws on tape for next year. I think that's where they are catching up to tua. They are watching him on tape and finding his flaws. 

Could only hope tua becomes like Watson. Would be a hell of a qb. 

Alabama has the luxury of which most top teams don't. They can afford to lose 2, even 3 games, as long as they win that Sec title game. It is automatic for the winner of that game to get in playoffs. They should take on a tough  non conference away game and test the team. Even a loss may harden them into a battle tested team, instead of waiting for a huge possibility  of an upset waitng at the end in an sec game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliNorth said:

Alabama has the luxury of which most top teams don't. They can afford to lose 2, even 3 games, as long as they win that Sec title game. It is automatic for the winner of that game to get in playoffs. They should take on a tough  non conference away game and test the team. Even a loss may harden them into a battle tested team, instead of waiting for a huge possibility  of an upset waitng at the end in an sec game.

Alabama can not lose 2 or 3 games and get in. I dont believe that. 1 loss and you have the possibility not 2 or 3. 

I would love to see some huge home and home games for alabama but I doubt it will happen. Saban likes the neutral sites games. 

Alabama is bring back a lot of talent next year. Unfortunately they have already lost 4 coaches 

The bigger question that is sort of being asked around the national media now. Is the joy in Alabama football gone? Saban draws in all these five stars every year and they are great teams. But the players look miserable. Wondering if we are seeing the back end of the Alabama dynasty? I certainly hope so. Can't stand Saban or Alabama. I rooted for them in the beginning when they were going against schools like Texas. But now, enough is enough.

but don't take offense. Ive gone against Alabama for 40 years. Growing up in the seventies and early eighties, my neighbor and best friend was a big Alabama fan. I rooted for USC and Florida State just because he rooted for Alabama. so I've carried this for way too long. Now he's my brother-in-law and he is still the same die hard Alabama fan.

I don't really hate Alabama, just can't stand them when they were winning this much.