OT: Your Favorite and Least favorite states.

18 minutes ago, Pops said:

Have been to 48 states -- all but Maine and Mississippi

Favorite is Washington

Least favorite?   Not really any place I don't like but I'd probably pick North Dakota as place I'd least like to live.  I once turned down a recruiting pitch because the job was in NJ, and after getting sweet talked, went ahead with trip including some house hunting around Morristown and knew I had misjudged NJ -- didn't see a single discarded hypodermic needle

You aint missing mich with MS.... Its depressing... its like a Batman comic with no Batman... just doom and Gloom atleast outside of Biloxi....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Atlantic City.... i need to go there 1 more time before I kick the bucket....

I wrote this over nine years ago about what I believe is the best Italian-American restaurant in the United States:  https://www.chowhound.com/post/chef-volas-dinner-frank-george-473826  If you go to A. C. you should really try and go there.  It's worth the effort to get a reservation.  

23 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

You aint missing mich with MS.... Its depressing... its like a Batman comic with no Batman... just doom and Gloom atleast outside of Biloxi....

I have a friend in Tupelo I'd like to visit -- he's chairman of the Elvis museum and a fine Southern Gentleman -- degrees from Vamdy and UVa 

15 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

A few thoughts...

New Hampshire is the most underrated state on the east coast. That and they have the best state motto by far.

Florida is amazing to visit only. Same with Texas. Couldn't live there.

Best US city in summer is Chicago hands down. I love the ocean, but you can't beat Lake Michigan and that weather. Also an unreal amount of female talent.

Best US city in winter is Miami. It beats out Scottsdale, AZ based on the very interesting mixture of culture.

The northeast cities(DC-Philly-NYC-Boston) shut down on most summer weekends with everyone escaping the humid pollution for the Atlantic beaches. They suck in the winter. What they do have is history, money and power. IMO, they have a low quality of life for anyone living below the upper middle class caste. 

No offense, but California is another country to me. I love SF, LA and SD, but I have never been able to get a grasp on things out there. Maybe I try to experience too much, too fast and it clashes with the local laid back way of life. I will give them the unanimous #1 seed for wine country, beachfront property, and women. 

As many on this board know I have too many opinions.  I spent far too many nights away from home but by now I've been able to take my wife back to many of the places that I liked the most.  She disagrees with much of what I would say...

Passionately love Santa Barbara-I've used a lot of airline mileage to go there over the years.  I believe the most beautiful wine country in the U. S. is in Virginia-both west of Charlottesville and west of D. C. in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.  In fact the countryside that runs from, say, Hillsborough, VA south for a hundred or more miles is breathtaking.  Va now has almost 300 wineries.  (Linden, Glen Manor, Delaplane, RDV, King Family, Veritas, etc.)  I love the Monterey peninsula, too.  

I love Clearwater Beach, also much of the Gulf Coast of Florida especially Sarasota and Longboat Key.  The drive from Miami to Key West is one of the most spectacular in the world.  And, driving from L. A. to SF along the coast.  

Northern NH is breathtaking as is northern Vermont.  Park City, UT as several have mentioned, is special.  So is northern Michigan.  And Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  Asheville is well worth a mention as is Charleston and I like downtown Greenville a lot.  Beauiful world class example of what a small city can do to create a downtown with character and beauty.

As much as I love Seattle, Vancouver, BC is for me the most beautiful setting of any city on earth.  In the U. S. I actually like my hometown, D. C. along with SF and Chicago.  One of the advantages of Washington is that there is so much within three+ hours of here.

Great thread.  Really interesting to read where others like.

• Like 1

Just going off of personal experiences living in or having multiple or extended visits to some states and also acknowledging that I haven't visited several states. 

Although there are many reasons to either like or dislike both of these states...

Favorite state: Kentucky 

Least Favorite: Oklahoma

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Just going off of personal experiences living in or having multiple or extended visits to some states and also acknowledging that I haven't visited several states. 

Although there are many reasons to either like or dislike both of these states...

Favorite state: Kentucky 

Least Favorite: Oklahoma

I havent been to OK enough to know much.... I know outside of OKC-Tulsa and Norman theres not shit to do...... 

4 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I havent been to OK enough to know much.... I know outside of OKC-Tulsa and Norman theres not shit to do...... 

There's just something not right with being able to see a town or city 60 miles before you get to it at night. I lived in OKC for a while, tje burbs for a while and way south in the rural area for a while. I remember one...ONE big tree in the rural area. The rest was scrub oaks and the like. 

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There's just something not right with being able to see a town or city 60 miles before you get to it at night. I lived in OKC for a while, tje burbs for a while and way south in the rural area for a while. I remember one...ONE big tree in the rural area. The rest was scrub oaks and the like. 

Because Oklahoma is A freaking piece of paper.... just flat ass land....

Speaking of different states and what not I was looking at GA move in rates and what not...

Atlanta sits inside the top 10 fastest growing cities in the nation for the 6th year in a row. 

Gwinnett County sits at one of the top 5 fastest growing counties in the nation... 

Currently with a county population of 850,000+

15 hours ago, Pops said:

I have a friend in Tupelo I'd like to visit -- he's chairman of the Elvis museum and a fine Southern Gentleman -- degrees from Vamdy and UVa 

I was stationed in Meridian MS. They can have that backwards ass frigging place. NAS Meridian was ok. It is a Navy school for Aviation types of jobs. When I re-enlisted I got conned into "swing with the wing". You wont see combat. Bunch of BS. Anyway mostly kids out of high school just finished boot camp for Marines and daycare for the sailors. So here are me and 2 fellow SGTS  (me, Gleason, a black kid and JD,a white kid)just coming back from the gulf. Kids thought we were war hero's. However when we left base to go hang out, that racist ass city was horrible. First club we tried to go to was more of a Caucasian crowd. Let it be known Gle and I were not welcome. They gave JD ship for being with us. So we left go to a club that is a darker green crowd. They let JD know he had no business there. In fact a cat comes up and tells us we needed to leave because JD was going to get jumped. Never forget it man. Frigging horrible. We rented a car and went to LA or played putt putt most weekends. They can have MS.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, thc6795 said:

I was stationed in Meridian MS. They can have that backwards ass frigging place. NAS Meridian was ok. It is a Navy school for Aviation types of jobs. When I re-enlisted I got conned into "swing with the wing". You wont see combat. Bunch of BS. Anyway mostly kids out of high school just finished boot camp for Marines and daycare for the sailors. So here are me and 2 fellow SGTS  (me, Gleason, a black kid and JD,a white kid)just coming back from the gulf. Kids thought we were war hero's. However when we left base to go hang out, that racist ass city was horrible. First club we tried to go to was more of a Caucasian crowd. Let it be known Gle and I were not welcome. They gave JD ship for being with us. So we left go to a club that is a darker green crowd. They let JD know he had no business there. In fact a cat comes up and tells us we needed to leave because JD was going to get jumped. Never forget it man. Frigging horrible. We rented a car and went to LA or played putt putt most weekends. They can have MS.

Sounds like a place to avoid

youre story made me think that I know another Mississippian -- a good customer of mine was a Vietnam era Naval aviator stationed there for flight training.  He's a big Texan, she was a gulf girl -- think they made a movie about it but changed the place to Bremerton and flight training to OCS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Lil different circumstances but the hotel bars use to try to keep us out in Sharm El shiek.  So we would go around back and climb a pipe up to 2nd floor balcony to get in to party with European tourists. We were caught a few times but after awhile we figured out that if we gave the bouncer a bag of socks, cheap Walkman or old PT shoes they started letting us in. ??? I'm sure those previously stationed there gave reason to keep GIs out. 

We took a 7 day holy land trip and we had a few 1st sgts and LTs included to get trip approved on leave. We were staying at Hotel Notre Dame in Jerusalem,  http://www.notredamecenter.org/

a pretty nice place was like a palace with armed guards. They shut place down like at 10pm. We went back for check in and snuck out back door. Had to scale 20 foot iron fence with spikes on top. We ended up seeing our 1st Sgt out and partied til 6 am at a place called Arizona Pub . Half the roof was blown off from a bomb but place was packed.   We were trying to sneak back in when they opened gate and when we went around the corner there was prob 30 of the 50 soldiers from trip also waiting to get back in. People were sleeping on sidewalk, everyone still drunk. LTs and other 1st Sgt were there as well. Haha. Come to find out, there was a side door they walked out instead of jumping fence like us youngsters did. When we had morning roll call the LT basically said lets forget about last night troops. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Out of curiosity how long ago was this? Sure as fuck would  hope this was decades ago, but I'm guessing not.

3 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Sooner or later I had to tell this story on here and now is the time.

Once upon a time I was young (mid 30's) and single (mid '80's).  I'd only been travelling heavy for a few years and had business in El Paso.  As a native born Washingtonian I had a fascination with possibly (I could dream) meeting a girl in a honky tonk.  On this trip I had a coat and tie for business and brought my jeans and a leather vest for that night.

I went bar hopping in El Paso.

For those reading this:  once in a while if we are lucky we'll go somewhere and a really attractive girl will look back at us.  That happened to me in El Paso (I thought she was near sighted!).  Standing by the bar in a honky tonk with line dancing, cotton eyed Joe and the girl of my dreams looking at me and smiling.

I didn't have the vaguest idea how to dance to any of that.  I was good at hugging and going around in a circle but they didn't play a song that I could do this to.

And, she kept looking at me.  15, 20 minutes or more and I felt really bad.  After a while she wasn't looking as intently. Didn't I like her?   Finally they played a song, "I Believe", by Don Williams.  I could slow dance to it!!!!  I went over and when I was a few feet away she had a big smile.  I asked her if she would like to dance?  Her smile acually left and, after a few seconds, she asked me, "what did you say?"  I thought maybe she didn't hear me so I asked her again, "would you like to dance."

She stepped back and asked me a second time, "what did you say?"  There was no smile and she was seemingly at a distance.  I said a third time, "would you like to dance?"

She stared straight into my eyes and said, "you're a Goddamn Yankee" and walked away.

She heard my D. C. "accent" and knew that I wasn't from anywhere near El Paso.  But there were also assumed values associated with my accent and her reaction to it.  That was a long, long time ago but I hadn't been travelling for too long and learned a lesson that night.  She was a beautiful girl and we may have really gotten along, even had a long distance relationship-even been married (in my dreams). But she never gave me the chance.  

I was from the wrong part of the Earth for her to meet somebody from.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I went to El Paso to play UTEP. A couple teammates and I crossed over to Juarez and were enticed by a cabbie to visit a donkey show. No donkey. They took our money. Maybe they considered us Yankees.

In the early '90's I would meet people in El Paso, show them a ride I had sold at Western Playland, and then we would go out to dinner.

Chihuahua Charlie's in Juarez.  Regardless of the name it was superb.  Tequila and fresh shrimp made tableside, Mexican food even better than anything at  L & J in El Paso, the Tequila Bandito (a bad ass Dominatrix with a holster filled with a bottle and a belt of shooter glasses)-this was a place to cross a border for.

I went eight or nine times and then things changed around 2000 or so.  Juarez became dangerous, especially for Americans.  Last time I was in El Paso was five or six years ago.  But Juarez is fifteen years or more.  Still, to this day, like the girl at the honkey tonk I wrote about above, there are memories that I'll never forget from more than 30 years of travel.  

Chihuahua Charlie's Tequila Bandito and their Tequila shrimp are among them.

...and the girl I finally worked up the courage to ask to dance in El Paso.

The last time I went out to Cali I went to Elk Grove. 

Boy... California is different...I was visiting family out near Sacramento. 

This one lady spazzed on me when I ordered because of the way I pronounce Pecans and Butter"It sounds like you're saying Budder its Butter!"

Needless To say I didnt order shit.... 

Im not gonna fight with someone on how I pronounce my words....

Cali also has some rude ass people.... 

Now I though Boston was bad... 

I dont expect everyone to be nice but atleast have some decency... 

This dude atleast a good 6 inches shorter than me just walked by and bumped into me...

I said excuse me he just looked back at me and said "Watch where you going" 

Needless to say things didnt go down the peaceful route.... I smarted back 

And he threatened me...

I told him where I come from we dont take to kindly to threats he asked me where I was from we dont take to kindly to threats. 

I shit you not he asked me where I was from. 

I told him Georgia and he backed away and said"People  from the South are crazy".... 

• Like 1