Meanwhile: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

TheRealCAJ

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any. --Lao Tzu

;)

If there are such things, then you should concern yourself with them, right?

It's like what the atheist David Hume said on his deathbed when he refused last rites: "Now is not the time to make the Devil an enemy."

1 minute ago, aZjimbo said:

But I was told islam is the religion of peace? How can that be?

Good question.

Christianity spent four centuries in the shadows, being persecuted and spread only through the word of the faithful.

Islam was established and grew through violence virtually from day one, conquering 2/3 of the then Christian world before the Crusades even began.

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

If there are such things, then you should concern yourself with them, right?

It's like what the atheist David Hume said on his deathbed when he refused last rites: "Now is not the time to make the Devil an enemy."

Perhaps the "God (s)" are better served by us not pretending to serve them?

As for the stuff from Concha on the Quran etc. 

We have numerous times quoted violence and scripture that basically called for it but get told it's being taken out of context. 

Yet, we pick and choose from the Quran and do the same thing because it fits our narrative today. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, concha said:

Seriously?  We're including the Middle Ages here?  Airports and train stations around the globe today have heightened security due to skinheads?

people are thinking of this all wrong

all religions are filed with people, that is where it goes wrong.

it's why everything goes wrong

its the damned people that co-opt a religion for their bloody cause that is the problem  

it's people, it's always people

greed and want and power and..... it's always people

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

As for the stuff from Concha on the Quran etc. 

We have numerous times quoted violence and scripture that basically called for it but get told it's being taken out of context. 

Yet, we pick and choose from the Quran and do the same thing because it fits our narrative today. 

Oh, well, if that's what you're told.  Believe it then. Don't think for yourself.

Ignore the Muslim conquest of 2/3 of the Christian world. Ignore the Quranic text that talks quite openly of Muhammed's use of violence and enslavement.

Moral equivalency is more important.

5 minutes ago, concha said:

Good question.

Christianity spent four centuries in the shadows, being persecuted and spread only through the word of the faithful.

Islam was established and grew through violence virtually from day one, conquering 2/3 of the then Christian world before the Crusades even began.

like with your home made graphs

people like you have a belief and then launch into confirmation biases and selective fact to defend it

if objectivity hit you in the head youd just try to hit back 

sad really

• Like 1

1 hour ago, concha said:

Rufus,

This is simply untrue. How many Christian faith-based major conflicts or global terrorist movements have existed in the last century? Two?

How many exist today?

Your point has some truth to it but when thinking of religions I think it's important to step back and take in the larger view.  When Christianity was at the age Islam is now, we were just as violent and used religion to support whatever agenda we had.  

My point is it's relatively the same given how long the religions have been around.  It would be like expecting the middle age Christians to behave in the way we do today.  I'm not trying to excuse terrorist because that is all they are.  I am trying to say that 99% of Muslims are peaceful and don't take a extreme twisted view Islam.  But like we all know, it only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the rest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, concha said:

Oh, well, if that's what you're told.  Believe it then. Don't think for yourself.

Ignore the Muslim conquest of 2/3 of the Christian world. Ignore the Quranic text that talks quite openly of Muhammed's use of violence and enslavement.

Moral equivalency is more important.

I'm not being told this. I watch it happen every time one of these discussions appear. 

The Bible talks openly of human sacrifice and murder as well. Just because Jesus wasn't practicing it and Muhammad was doesn't change the fact it's present in both religions for us to manipulate and take out of context as we want.

Didn't the Christians turn this violent expansion right back onto Islam after the conquests by Islam?

• Like 1

Just now, World Citizen said:

Your point has some truth to it but when thinking of religions I think it's important to step back and take in the larger view.  When Christianity was at the age Islam is now, we were just as violent and used religion to support whatever agenda we had.  

My point is it's relatively the same given how long the religions have been around.  It would be like expecting the middle age Christians to behave in the way we do today.  I'm not trying to excuse terrorist because that is all they are.  I am trying to say that 99% of Muslims are peaceful and don't take a extreme twisted view Islam.  But like we all know, it only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the rest.

Good grief.

So by your logic, if a new religion were founded today it would be young so we'd forgive it running around slaughtering and enslaving people, right?

SMDH

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

like with your home made graphs

people like you have a belief and then launch into confirmation biases and selective fact to defend it

if objectivity hit you in the head youd just try to hit back 

sad really

Nooner, do you enjoy your existence of meaningless, fact-free drive-by bullshit?

You are absolutely zero value-added.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not being told this. I watch it happen every time one of these discussions appear. 

The Bible talks openly of human sacrifice and murder as well. Just because Jesus wasn'the practicing it and Muhammad was doesn't change the fact it's present in both religions for us to manipulate and take out of context as we want.

Didn't the Christians turn this violent expansion right back onto Islam after the conquests by Islam?

what is interesting is that there is zero record of Jesus ever existing

no where is he mentioned by the historians of the time

kinda surprised me, i thought his existence was excepted by all

first time he comes up though is way after 33AD, after his death

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The Bible talks openly of human sacrifice and murder as well. Just because Jesus wasn'the practicing it and Muhammad was doesn't change the fact it's present in both religions for us to manipulate and take out of context as we want.

1) And we see the typical references to OT texts rather than NT, which is the basis of Christianity.

2) So once Islam conquered a Christian land, Christians were to simply accept and keep falling back?

3) Are you capable of dealing with anything remotely modern or current?

35 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'd want to distinguish religions from those who claim to practice them. 

It might be a subtle distinction, but it's important, I think.

One view is that Christians have done terrible things in the name of their religion.

Another is that no Christian has ever done so as a Christian, since it's expressly forbidden.

If you read 1 John, for example, the proper inference is that many who call themselves Christians aren't.

Maybe similar things can be said about other religions. 

I think the distinction is not very subtle.  The difference between the practice of and the religion itself is huge.  Imho.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

get to the basement and make a graph, bitc#.:)

You are even less relevant than Cajun.

How often do you provide links to actual facts and data? Answer: virtually never. You provide nonintellectual mental flatulence.

Congratulations being one of the site fools.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, concha said:

Good grief.

So by your logic, if a new religion were founded today it would be young so we'd forgive it running around slaughtering and enslaving people, right?

SMDH

I'm not excusing bad behavior.  I'm pointing out the similarities of the religions.   If we lived back then there would be nothing to forgive, that was what life looked like.  

Keep shaking your head and your hair ribbons will fall out.  

5 minutes ago, concha said:

You are even less relevant than Cajun.

How often do you provide links to actual facts and data? Answer: virtually never. You provide nonintellectual mental flatulence.

Congratulations being one of the site fools.

why thank you brother

I hope you too, one day, learn to reason and attempt to jettison bias and repetition of word.

peace my round friend

19 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Going to Jesus Christ Superstar this weekend. Looking forward to it. Good memories of that music.

Awesome!  Enjoy brother.  I went to see it around 95 or so.  It was excellent and had most of the original cast.  

That was my religious upbringing.  Use to listen to it on the reel to reel. 

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Awesome!  Enjoy brother.  I went to see it around 95 or so.  It was excellent and had most of the original cast.  

That was my religious upbringing.  Use to listen to it on the reel to reel. 

Our 7th grade class performed it, about 20 years before you saw it apparently. Still know quite a few of the songs. And remember some antics behind the curtains.

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

Our 7th grade class performed it, about 20 years before you saw it apparently. Still know quite a few of the songs. And remember some antics behind the curtains.

I first heard it when it came out. 1973 I think.  Seen the movie a few years later and waited long time to see it live.  

Are any of the original people still doing it?  No matter, love the music and have the cd's.  

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I first heard it when it came out. 1973 I think.  Seen the movie a few years later and waited long time to see it live.  

Are any of the original people still doing it?  No matter, love the music and have the cd's.  

I doubt any of the original cast is still performing. I'm going to a Denver-area theater to see it live, with some of the cast having Broadway experience. It's a legit venue...should be good.

It makes you think, while also enjoying the tunes.

• Like 1