Meanwhile: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

TheRealCAJ

30 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Actually...I didn't.  

My post wasn't sarcasm.  I was pointing out all religions are pretty much the same.  None are better or worse...than the others.

Rufus>>

The world does not have heightened awareness and security concerns due to Presbyterians in Kansas driven to violence by their faith.

Thought you'd like to know.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, concha said:

The world does not have heightened awareness and security concerns due to Presbyterians in Kansas driven to violence by their faith.

Thought you'd like to know.

The Christian faith is FULL of violence.  Has been since its inception.

FYI....

Rufus>>

7 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

The Christian faith is FULL of violence.  Has been since its inception.

FYI....

Rufus>>

Rufus,

This is simply untrue. How many Christian faith-based major conflicts or global terrorist movements have existed in the last century? Two?

How many exist today?

http://www.start.umd.edu/baad/database

The Big, Allied and Dangerous (BAAD) online platform features updated, vetted and sourced narratives, and relationship information and social network data on 50 of the most notorious terrorist organizations in the world since 1998, with additional network information on more than 100 organizations. Funded through the Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Directorate’s Office of University Programs, the underlying BAAD database was created and is maintained by the Project on Violent Conflict at the University at Albany’s Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy.

I invite Rufus to peruse the list in the database. How many obviously Christianity-driven movements/groups?  

Admittedly, hard to tell given that so many of the names are in Arabic.

I kind of agree with Rufus here. We have white supremacy groups operating under Christian beliefs etc. Also in the past there was a lot of blood shed by Christians, not limited to the crusades but also burning women herbalists at the stake for practicing medicine.

Of course recently the majority of Christians have waned off all peaceful like and all, so violence isn't as prevalent as it once was. 

I disagree with Rufus that all are the same though because as I study Taoism and Buddhism, I can't really find much that would make someone run over to their minority neighbors home and drag them behind a truck or toss them into barbed wire or toss a rope over the old oak limb and string them up or anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I kind of agree with Rufus here. We have white supremacy groups operating under Christian beliefs etc. Also in the past there was a lot of blood shed by Christians, not limited to the crusades but also burning women herbalists at the stake for practicing medicine.

Of course recently the majority of Christians have waned off all peaceful like and all, so violence isn't as prevalent as it once was. 

I disagree with Rufus that all are the same though because as I study Taoism and Buddhism, I can't really find much that would make someone run over to their minority neighbors home and drag them behind a truck or toss them into barbed wire or toss a rope over the old oak limb and string them up or anything.

Seriously?  We're including the Middle Ages here?  Airports and train stations around the globe today have heightened security due to skinheads?

• Like 2

I did read an interesting quote in Taoism that is spot on in my opinion. This is for all those guys that think big talk and hard action is the right way to go. Heard a lot of that in this past election cycle.

In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. --Lao Tzu

When virtue is lost, benevolence appears, when benevolence is lost right conduct appears, when right conduct is lost, expedience appears. Expediency is the mere shadow of right and truth; it is the beginning of disorder. --Lao Tzu

Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained. --Lao Tzu

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, concha said:

Seriously?  We're including the Middle Ages here?  Airports and train stations around the globe today have heightened security due to skinheads?

I thought the question was about the similarities of the religions. 

If we aren't careful the supremacists could become just as much a problem. 

Both religions have their extremists and it's not even debateable. Hence that they are the same to that effect. 

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

There is no such thing as a "religion of peace"..  All of them will use violence to achieve their goals.

Rufus>>

I'd want to distinguish religions from those who claim to practice them. 

It might be a subtle distinction, but it's important, I think.

One view is that Christians have done terrible things in the name of their religion.

Another is that no Christian has ever done so as a Christian, since it's expressly forbidden.

If you read 1 John, for example, the proper inference is that many who call themselves Christians aren't.

Maybe similar things can be said about other religions. 

• Like 3

Just now, Belly Bob said:

One view is that Christians have done terrible things in the name of their religion.

Another is that no Christian has as Christian, since it's expressly forbidden.

If you read 1 John, for example, the proper inference is that many who call themselves Christians aren't.

I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any. --Lao Tzu

;)

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

I thought the question was about the similarities of the religions. 

If we aren't careful the supremacists could become just as much a problem. 

Both religions have that their extremists and it's not even debateable. Hence that they are the same to that effect. 

Islamists can point to many parts of the Quran and the example of Muhammed to justify their violence.

How many times in the New Testament are Christians called upon to conquer and subjugate others? Unlike Muhammed, how many attacks and military conflicts did Christ lead or call for? How many people did Christ enslave?

The moral equivalency is absurd at its core.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

But it's not too hard to find Buddhists who have used violence in the name of their religion. 

Historians generally agree (I think) that Ashoka tried to unify his conquest of India by propagating Buddhism throughout his empire, which he won through military conquest. 

4 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Another is that no Christian has ever done so as a Christian, since it's expressly forbidden.

This is spot on.

The huge difference is in the examples of Christ (nonviolent) vs. Muhammed (very violent) and the messages in the NT vs the Quran.

When it comes to violence, there is no comparison at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, concha said:

This is spot on.

The huge difference is in the examples of Christ (nonviolent) vs. Muhammed (very violent) and the messages in the NT vs the Quran.

When it comes to violence, there is no comparison at all.

But I was told islam is the religion of peace? How can that be?

• Like 1