St Thomas Aquinas and De La Salle my personal experience with them

BobbySanchez

In 2010 I started following high school football because I was still in high school. I live in the Orange County area and was curious about who the top teams in my county was. Every young school kid in Orange County KNOWS who what and where Mater Dei is. Everybody wore their shirt, jerseys, saw them through the media, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing their school. But then I discovered they lost to a school though. It was a school called Servite. They had this incredibly intimidating drill called the "Hut Drill" which was suppose to show discipline, tradition, and courage. They even had a video go viral. It was incredibly intimidating especially with their all dark black uniforms, incredibly physicality, and pretty much ran what everybody here called the toughest league in the entire country called Trinity League. Servite ran the Trinity League those days and every single potential D-1, NFL star knew very well of them and how much it would take to beat such an elite team. Every single Orange County publication raved about them and the young kids aspiring to become football stars were even questioning their abilities to start in such a legendary program.

Servite had yet another perfect season in 2010, running through all of the most elite Southern California teams, I presumed Socal was the best due to the amount of talent that gets pumped out every year so I had a narrow mind and thought this was the mecca. Lo and behold they lost to a school called De La Salle 48-8. A freaking undefeated Servite team got buttpounded by who?! I thought this was a typo at first and refused to believe it. Next day, it turns out it was very, very real. I started researching this program called De La Salle and found out even more astonishing things about them. How they had the 151 ridiculous game streak and their head coaches demeanor gave off such a calm wise monk it was intimidating in their own right. When I asked my school's football coaches about them, he said word for word, "Listen, I've watched college, NFL, and high school football but I have NEVER seen a team as disciplined as De La Salle." He was a coach who bench pressed 405 pounds in high school and played professional rugby. I couldn't believe my eyes and became obsessed with this program. Their name was the Spartans for Gods sake how cool is that?! I saw film on De La Salle and every. single. California. team. was scared shitless of them. Their presence and name alone meant immediate respect. They were all scared of them. Those tiny green men. They had this unbelievable aura and presence about them.

In 2011 I found out there was a school called St Thomas Aquinas from Florida who absolutely obliterated De La Salle 30-6.  I couldn't believe it again! What is real anymore? I saw the highlights of the game and I saw their dark blue and gold and was amazed by them. Honestly I was in complete denial because my ego and pride refused to acknowledge any place better than Socal but they were hands down better. Period because De La Salle beat the 2nd best team in California called Westlake 35-0 that year. STA, from start to finish was not the least phased by DLS. Their fricken backups were too physical for DLS's starters! I had so much respect for both teams and this sparked my interest in HSFB. 

Where else is good HSFB being played? And why OOS games are sooo interesting and fun for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Nope not him. But honestly St Thomas Aquinas amazed me so much that game against De La Salle I pretty much forgave every bad out of state loss they had, but from 2011 I found out that they had this amazing 8-0 record against out of state teams and became even more compelled by them. They are a badass program, hope they stay the same. They also beat an Alabama team called Pratville which had a 14-2 record, was number 1 at the time 35-31. They had even more elite players than STA but they pulled it off. I thought, there's no way any team in California at the time (2011) could touch those two teams. Made me respect out of state teams even more and always pulled for California. 

I pretty much thought Florida football was godlike from then on and wanted California teams to beat them out of good competition ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

In 2010 I started following high school football because I was still in high school. I live in the Orange County area and was curious about who the top teams in my county was. Every young school kid in Orange County KNOWS who what and where Mater Dei is. Everybody wore their shirt, jerseys, saw them through the media, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing their school. But then I discovered they lost to a school though. It was a school called Servite. They had this incredibly intimidating drill called the "Hut Drill" which was suppose to show discipline, tradition, and courage. They even had a video go viral. It was incredibly intimidating especially with their all dark black uniforms, incredibly physicality, and pretty much ran what everybody here called the toughest league in the entire country called Trinity League. Servite ran the Trinity League those days and every single potential D-1, NFL star knew very well of them and how much it would take to beat such an elite team. Every single Orange County publication raved about them and the young kids aspiring to become football stars were even questioning their abilities to start in such a legendary program.

Servite had yet another perfect season in 2010, running through all of the most elite Southern California teams, I presumed Socal was the best due to the amount of talent that gets pumped out every year so I had a narrow mind and thought this was the mecca. Lo and behold they lost to a school called De La Salle 48-8. A freaking undefeated Servite team got buttpounded by who?! I thought this was a typo at first and refused to believe it. Next day, it turns out it was very, very real. I started researching this program called De La Salle and found out even more astonishing things about them. How they had the 151 ridiculous game streak and their head coaches demeanor gave off such a calm wise monk it was intimidating in their own right. When I asked my school's football coaches about them, he said word for word, "Listen, I've watched college, NFL, and high school football but I have NEVER seen a team as disciplined as De La Salle." He was a coach who bench pressed 405 pounds in high school and played professional rugby. I couldn't believe my eyes and became obsessed with this program. Their name was the Spartans for Gods sake how cool is that?! I saw film on De La Salle and every. single. California. team. was scared shitless of them. Their presence and name alone meant immediate respect. They were all scared of them. Those tiny green men. They had this unbelievable aura and presence about them.

In 2011 I found out there was a school called St Thomas Aquinas from Florida who absolutely obliterated De La Salle 30-6.  I couldn't believe it again! What is real anymore? I saw the highlights of the game and I saw their dark blue and gold and was amazed by them. Honestly I was in complete denial because my ego and pride refused to acknowledge any place better than Socal but they were hands down better. Period because De La Salle beat the 2nd best team in California called Westlake 35-0 that year. STA, from start to finish was not the least phased by DLS. Their fricken backups were too physical for DLS's starters! I had so much respect for both teams and this sparked my interest in HSFB. 

Where else is good HSFB being played? And why OOS games are sooo interesting and fun for me.

I absolutely LOVE your humility and approach.... question for you... this humility and respect you give these programs.

Could you bottle that shit up, I mean there a few posters who need some chemo injections of this shit I call humility.

Maybe start on the west coast... Sammy needs it most of all.

Love your enthusiasm and love for the game.

BGW

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I used to think elite teams shouldn't get beat by double digit. But after last years MD team, who beat IMG but got handled by SJB only to win a close one when it matter. I'm starting to think even the best of them can get humbled easily at any given time.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Also Grayson from Georgia beating an elite Miami Central florida team 35-3 amazed me so much, I pretty much forgave every Georgia out of state loss. I knew how good their state could be, I thought Florida football was by far the best and then a Georgia team beat them soundly.

Hey now. Baby 4A Booker T,FL redeemed Central’s loss by beating the large school Georgia State Champ 55-0 on national TV. 

One of the reasons why I think both states are about equal 

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

Had the same thing back in 2011 when I was playing at a small public school in OC. Everyone in the area new Mission Viejo was the standard for public school football in OC & we got HUMBLED in a passing league game by them (We weren't very good). Couldn't believe the athletes that they had.

2 months later they got absolutely dominated by Don Bosco Prep at home 35-7. It was just unfathomable to me at the time. Became obsessed with big time HSFB after that. Every time Bosco would upload gamefilm to HUDL I would sit there & watch it for hours. That team absolutely amazed me week after week. 

Would pay ALOT of $$$ to watch a 2011 Don Bosco Prep vs 2017 Mater Dei matchup. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mje44 said:

Had the same thing back in 2011 when I was playing at a small public school in OC. Everyone in the area new Mission Viejo was the standard for public school football in OC & we got HUMBLED in a passing league game by them (We weren't very good). Couldn't believe the athletes that they had.

2 months later they got absolutely dominated by Don Bosco Prep at home 35-7. It was just unfathomable to me at the time. Became obsessed with big time HSFB after that. Every time Bosco would upload gamefilm to HUDL I would sit there & watch it for hours. That team absolutely amazed me week after week. 

Would pay ALOT of $$$ to watch a 2011 Don Bosco Prep vs 2017 Mater Dei matchup. 

Bob Johnson in his 50 year coaching experience said he never a defense as elite as that 2011 Don Bosco team. The coaches for Mission Viejo literally called them after the game and asked if Don Bosco is some secondary education school or used heldbacks. They were THAT good. Mission Viejo traveled to Washington, Ohio, Norcal, Hawaii and saw national teams all their life too.

Mission Viejo in 2011 honestly was probably one of Southern California's best teams, they got ejected from the playoffs by a last second 1 point loss to eventual State Champ Santa Margarita. They were really good that year too.

Mission Viejo at the time of 2011 is kind of like Mater Dei now in 2017-18. All the kids were dying to go there. They had a very fearsome reputation all across California and Don Bosco murdered Mission Viejo that game. Jason Negro of St.John Bosco was so impressed with Don Bosco that's why he sparked the California transfers arms race and built SJB to the monster that it is now. He wanted to play Don Bosco everyday since 2009 (when they beat De La Salle)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Bob Johnson in his 50 year coaching experience said he never a defense as elite as that 2011 Don Bosco team. The coaches for Mission Viejo literally called them after the game and asked if Don Bosco is some secondary education school or used heldbacks. They were THAT good. Mission Viejo traveled to Washington, Ohio, Norcal, Hawaii and saw national teams all their life too.

Mission Viejo in 2011 honestly was probably one of Southern California's best teams, they got ejected from the playoffs by a last second 1 point loss to eventual State Champ Santa Margarita. They were really good that year too.

Mission Viejo at the time of 2011 is kind of like Mater Dei now in 2017-18. All the kids were dying to go there. They had a very fearsome reputation all across California and Don Bosco murdered Mission Viejo that game. Jason Negro of St.John Bosco was so impressed with Don Bosco that's why he sparked the California transfers arms race and built SJB to the monster that it is now. He wanted to play Don Bosco everyday since 2009 (when they beat De La Salle)

Yeah that 2011 DBP team made such an impression on me. Total dominance. 

2011 SM team was stacked too. At the time they had a bigger line than any Pac 12 team lol. Had a few NFL guys too. They would have been a better matchup against DLS than the soft/overrated Westlake team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mje44 said:

Yeah that 2011 DBP team made such an impression on me. Total dominance. 

2011 SM team was stacked too. At the time they had a bigger line than any Pac 12 team lol. Had a few NFL guys too. They would have been a better matchup against DLS than the soft/overrated Westlake team. 

Any other teams impress out of state or here in California anyway? It was probably Bishop Gorman when they started running through all the elite California schools here. 

10 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

Your a good poster.....I saw that 2011 Bosco team play MV.....Brutal team...

2011 DBP would not have matched up well with 2017 #OIAG Mater Dei. 

The 4 wides would have exploited the secondary.  DBP had a great front 7 but if there was any window to move the ball against them, it would be via the secondary.  (assuming an offense had the weapons, which 2017 MD did have).

2011 DBP offense would not have been able to move the ball enough to get over 10 points and that would not have been enough.   24-10 Stache

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2019 at 2:19 PM, BobbySanchez said:

Damn times have changed

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

One thing I’m sure off is that it’ll be almost impossible for another public to ever win another MNC again. The power privates are here to stay. And the fact that many of them are now playing each other annually just increases their odds. 

It just irks your nerves to know that publics have won MNCs, huh? Lol

43 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The truth hurts. 2006 was the last time a public won the MNC outright. And most likely it’ll be the last time ever. Power privates are here to stay. 

Didn’t Katy win in 15 or something like that? North Shore was number 2 one year. The large class undefeated Texas champ has just as big a claim as anyone 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1