Lakeland 31 @ De La Salle 30 in OT Thriller - 2009

Thomas Roach

Does anyone have any video of this game or does anyone know where video is posted? I remember watching it and it was a fantastic game but there is no footage online.

I did find articles like these:

https://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20090926/News/608092225/LL/

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/De-La-Salle-goes-for-2-in-OT-comes-up-short-3215596.php

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2009/09/26/de-la-salle-beaten-in-an-overtime-thriller/

Maybe the Lakeland or DLS people can post it on YouTube. 

• Thanks 1

Google suppressed it. 

I can give you the low down. Lakeland was up 14-0 and on their way to a blowout when the refs were throwing phantom penalties against Lakeland to keep the score down. 

Lakeland lost a little composure because they knew they were getting hosed. The phantom calls got the best of them. 

In the end justice prevailed. 

Lakeland went on to lose in the playoffs by 3 touchdowns in a watered down bracket while DLS steamrolled the toughest playoff in the country. 

The end  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Google suppressed it. 

I can give you the low down. Lakeland was up 14-0 and on their way to a blowout when the refs were throwing phantom penalties against Lakeland to keep the score down. 

Lakeland lost a little composure because they knew they were getting hosed. The phantom calls got the best of them. 

Lakeland went on to lose in the playoffs by 3 touchdowns in a watered down bracket while DLS steamrolled the toughest playoff in the country. 

The end  

😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Google suppressed it. 

The end  

Fake news

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Google suppressed it. 

The end  

Not hardly and phantom flags my ass. Lakeland lineman were damn near holding on every play to keep the DLS defense out. I’ll keep my opinion of Lakeland to my self but what they did during that game didn’t represent well!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, DLS350 said:

Not hardly and phantom flags my ass. Lakeland lineman were damn near holding on every play to keep the DLS defense out. I’ll keep my opinion of Lakeland to my self but what they did during that game didn’t represent well!

Their TE was crotch-grabbing and thrusting to the crowd and their center that was holding every play went a ‘roid fueled rage every time the coaches pulled him to sideline to say he needed to stop trying to tackle the DLS linemen running by him 

those 2 are probably in Jail someplace now 

dont want to castigate the whole team — liked their QB (went to FSU as DB), their LB that made stop on XP (Georgia tech) and their WR was 2nd fastest kid I’ve seen (Texas tech) after deanthoney Thomas)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DLS350 said:

I dunno man, I'm not saying Lakeland didn't hold, but I was reading some stuff on the game and it seemed the flags were coming out A LOT after Lakeland took the lead.   Doesn't matter it's history, but I trust @steeler01 as much as just about anyone on here. 

From the thread here...  http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/california-refs-have-no-shame.194436/

That's an Ohio football forum fwiw. 

Steeler.png

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

I dunno man, I'm not saying Lakeland didn't hold, but I was reading some stuff on the game and it seemed the flags were coming out A LOT after Lakeland took the lead.   Doesn't matter it's history, but I trust @steeler01 as much as just about anyone on here. 

From the thread here...  http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/california-refs-have-no-shame.194436/

Steeler.png

As the game went on, Lakeland was getting tired. The holding started and got worse because of that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

Steeler.png

I couldn’t have had a better view 

he was holding every play — I think they were all on same kid 

like bad holding you can’t ignore even if you just flagged him twice 

like tackling holding 

they didn’t call a lot more than they could have 

game wasn’t about holding though 

Nor the long injury delay that killed DLS momentum 

was 2 good teams and one great game 

I was impressed with Lakeland and FL

not sure where Lakeland really stood in FL that year — think they got bounced in same semis as #1 STA (and Lakeland was top 15 in USAT)

• Like 1

It's so weird that there is no real footage or even highlights of this game. Not even for purchase from ESPN as far as I know. 

It's also weird how this ten year-old game still gets over-analyzed to death. It was a great game between two of the best programs in Florida and California. But, it was only one game. 

Here's some more on the "thug school" Lakeland: 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Roach said:

Does anyone have any video of this game or does anyone know where video is posted? I remember watching it and it was a fantastic game but there is no footage online.

I did find articles like these:

https://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20090926/News/608092225/LL/

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/De-La-Salle-goes-for-2-in-OT-comes-up-short-3215596.php

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2009/09/26/de-la-salle-beaten-in-an-overtime-thriller/

Maybe the Lakeland or DLS people can post it on YouTube. 

I have a copy of the game.  I will try to post it later on YouTube when I have some time.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

It's so weird that there is no real footage or even highlights of this game. Not even for purchase from ESPN as far as I know. 

It's also weird how this ten year-old game still gets over-analyzed to death. It was a great game between two of the best programs in Florida and California. But, it was only one game. 

Here's some more on the "thug school" Lakeland: 

That's pretty cool man.  Didn't know of that tradition.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:54 PM, Nolebull813 said:

Google suppressed it. 

The end  

Thank you for citing another example of a Fla team being unable to finish, 

Much appreciated !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, noonereal said:

and this year too DLS buzz sawed CA. 

They were tied or trailed the first 3 Norcal opponents they played at the half 

they beat this same 3 opponents the next time by 130+ points 

they were definitely struggling early — trailer Serra 7-0 at half the week before DBP and Serra finished 6-6. 

• Like 1