Folsom's Daniyel Ngata versus DLSs Shamar Garrett

frankyjames

I was just reading another forum and some of the NorCal local posters have made the case for Garrett being better than Ngata.

Recruiting offers are as follows:

Ngata: Clemson, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Utah, Alabama, Boston College, Colorado, Houston, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Nevada, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, San Diego State, Tennessee, USC, Washington, Washington State, Oklahoma, UCLA

Garrett: Air Force, Howard, New Mexico, Sac State, San Jose State, William & Mary

I think the DLS guys need to contact these national recruiters and tell them they've got it all wrong. 😉

2 hours ago, frankyjames said:

I was just reading another forum and some of the NorCal local posters have made the case for Garrett being better than Ngata.

Ngata: Clemson, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Utah, Alabama, Boston College, Colorado, Houston, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Nevada, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, San Diego State, Tennessee, USC, Washington, Washington State, Oklahoma, UCLA

Garrett: Air Force, Howard, New Mexico, Sac State, San Jose State, William & Mary

I think the DLS guys need to contact these national recruiters and tell them they've got it all wrong. 😉

When did the offers all start coming in for both guys? 

Context. 

Sometimes a kid is "growed up" sooner than another hence the offers come on quicker. 

Some kids hit their "growed up" spurt later and the offers don't hit until senior year at some point so the offers don't come until late. 

Number of offers doesn't make or break a kid's high school ability either. Sometimes recruiters see more potential upside to one player than another at the next level as well. Doesn't mean there aren't better high school players than him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

When did the offers all start coming in for both guys? 

Context. 

Sometimes a kid is "growed up" sooner than another hence the offers come on quicker. 

Some kids hit their "growed up" spurt later and the offers don't hit until senior year at some point so the offers don't come until late. 

Number of offers doesn't make or break a kid's high school ability either. Sometimes recruiters see more potential upside to one player than anothet at the next level as well. Doesn't mean there aren't better high school players than him. 

You make a great point about context.

Some would argue that arguing that one player is better, based on 1 good half against a great opponent, is not great context.

Some would argue that stellar and consistent play, which attracts the recruiting by most major D1s, is great context.

Also great for context- Garretts #s will be inflated due to playing in a run first system and getting a ton of carries. Ngata plays in a more modern/balanced offense and still puts up similar or better numbers. Context. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, frankyjames said:

You make a great point about context.

Some would argue that arguing that one player is better, based on 1 good half against a great opponent, is not great context.

Some would argue that stellar and consistent play, which attracts the recruiting by most major D1s, is great context.

Also great for context- Garretts #s will be inflated due to playing in a run first system and getting a ton of carries. Ngata plays in a more modern/balanced offense and still puts up similar or better numbers. Context. 

Thoughts?

Surely the type of system they are coming through makes a difference as well as the type of competition they are playing. 

All of that is why I'm not a huge fan of the star rating system for players. I feel like kids can certainly be a victim of the particular system they are in or the area they play in. 

@Ararar makes a good point about interchanging the kids. Still that is a difficult prospect to do as it leaves it open for different people to have different ideas about how they would do. Impossible to actually figure out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Surely the type of system they are coming through makes a difference as well as the type of competition they are playing. 

All of that is why I'm not a huge fan of the star rating system for players. I feel like kids can certainly be a victim of the particular system they are in or the area they play in. 

@Ararar makes a good point about interchanging the kids. Still that is a difficult prospect to do as it leaves it open for different people to have different ideas about how they would do. Impossible to actually figure out. 

Good points. 

However, I have a little feeling that 30 plus major D1 recruiters haven't all "missed something."

Ngata all day. 

On the Nor Cal Board, the DLS poster Stated:

"Garrett got 187 yards in 17 carries against a great team. He is definitely the second best running back in northern/central California after Kendall Milton of Buchanan (Garrett is, I think, now better than Ngata of Folsom)."

Below is My Response to the post, I figured I would share since it was brought up over here... :) 

You are 100% correct regarding Garret!!!... I have been saying that kid will be special this year all along, you could just see it coming from him...

He was a little small the last couple of years but has put on some bulk and is now breaking the tackles he couldn’t before... and his electric speed is world class!!!

To put up 187 on 17 carries against THAT Defense was a Big Time National Level Performance....

But what we learned last year is that the very poor competition Folsom plays does not affect the 5 star players....

I mean Nagata’s Brother was dominated last year by a no star defensive back from DLS and he is Making a Major impact at Clemson...

I agree it seems rediculous that Garret doesn’t have multiple D1 offers, But I wouldn’t necessarily rank him above Nagata... Yet...:)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, frankyjames said:

I only know if Garrett is better than Ngata but I do know there’s a difference, iften large, between hsfb excellence and next level potential 

no one gets as much airtime off a kids offers as you — I also know that 

18 hours ago, frankyjames said:

Gnata will be at Folsom Community college in 3 years ,, with his big bro 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DLS350 said:

Blockhead! Who gives a shit! Your just like dog shit, eventually you’ll dry up and blow away. Or, you’ll probably get banned before you dry up, either way, you’ll be gone. AGAIN!!!

He'll dry up and blow away after DLS kicks the shit out of Folsom in a few weeks. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DLS_Spartan said:

I hope the Folsom and DLS game is a good one. That’s all I have to say. Good luck to both teams. Not a fan of DLS’s offense as of the past 4 years though. 

Does DLS recruit high level QB? Seems like there is a flood of QB in SoCal year in and year out. Can't remember the last DLS QB ranked 4* or better.

3 minutes ago, Kalven said:

Does DLS recruit high level QB? Seems like there is a flood of QB in SoCal year in and year out. Can't remember the last DLS QB ranked 4* or better.

Regardless, the passing plays and execution are awful. Don’t know what’s going on but the Veer isn’t as smooth as when Lad was coaching and the passing game is a mess.