Florida is Mired in Mediocrity

181pl

53 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Sorry guys, open your eyes. Reality will smack you in the face when you figure out how mediocre Florida is this year.

Only because you assume that a team needs to be a name brand to be good which you said yourself on page 1

You feel that if a team doesn't have a bunch of big names dominating that the state is struggling

That isn't always the case

A program like Plant struggling don't mean the state is down if someone else is equally strong and holding down the fort

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 181pl said:

Look at these AP rankings. There are almost no dominant teams.

http://www.theprepzone.com/2019/09/18/2019-ap-high-school-football-state-rankings-week-5/

I guess if you judge it by OOS HS games which yea I get that is the point of this site but its so useless in the grand scheme of things.I judge it by talent output defined as success at the next level and  FL is  #1 all things considered.  I'm always in LA so I take my young son to MD and SJB games.  Believe me - those teams are as good as advertised...I havent seen HS teams that have the talent/coaching/discipline all merged together as good as they do.  Does that mean I would say Cali is better than FL in football - no way.  I can tell you that I recruited the nation for years working in a Big 10 program as their S&C coach and nowhere comes close to the FL up through GA zone  for talent

Not to mention - all of these "great" teams are huge recruited parochials, academys etc  - not sure what the big celebration is of their fan base,   FL seems to be the only state with multiple publics who have the balls to take on these schools and while they squashed at least they step up.   For me making it to the next level is what football is  about and FL reigns supreme whether college or NFL  and has for a real long time (GA creepin right behind when adjusting for pop) of course TX and Cali but there high populations are a big factor as the per capita based on the amount of HS players is not even close to FL.GA

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Only because you assume that a team needs to be a name brand to be good which you said yourself on page 1

You feel that if a team doesn't have a bunch of big names dominating that the state is struggling

That isn't always the case

A program like Plant struggling don't mean the state is down if someone else is equally strong and holding down the fort

Plant sucking has nothing to do with Central, MNW, and others getting blown out. Or Armwood losing to N. Gwinnett. 

On 9/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, 181pl said:

Columbia fan. I want you to honestly give me three FLA teams outside if STA, IMG, and Lakeland that deserve top 100 recognition.

Despite getting blown out in game one, Miami Central is still a top 25 team and by far top 100. I would even put Miami Northwestern in there along with South Dade, American Heritage, and Lake City Columbia just making the cut. With the FHSAA splitting up all of the classes, it makes things look really watered down. This year the state is not looking good in OOS games, and with kids transferring at an alarming rate, teams are not as dominant as before. Outside of IMG and STA it's really hard for many of the states public schools to recruit and get the cream of the crop. Lakeland is loaded, but after this year I won't be surprised if they take a dip in talent. 

On 9/21/2019 at 4:50 AM, 181pl said:

The state is living on reputation alone. Outside of St Thomas and IMG and maybe Lakeland, Florida does not really even have one legitimate top 100 team right now.

Looks like Edgewater, Columbia and a couple others are also having decent years, but I'm not sold on them as top 100 teams in the country. Dade appears to be way, way, way down. They are getting their asses handed to them in every big game.

The Tampa area is terrible. We have two or 3 legitimate teams. Armwood and Tampa Bay Tech. Maybe Lakewood. Tech and Lakewood have never proven it in the playoffs however. If they get to the third round it's a miracle. The rest of our area is pure garbage. 

Finally, somebody who gets it!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Finally, somebody who gets it!!

Lol, Cali would look bad too if your top 20-50ish teams all went out and played every states top teams.   These Fl teams do it whether they are hot or not, and they travel 90% of the time.   It is what it is.   Most of the times it doesn't look to good.    

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Lol, Cali would look bad too if your top 20-50ish teams all went out and played every states top teams.   These Fl teams do it whether they are hot or not, and they travel 90% of the time.   It is what it is.   Most of the times it doesn't look to good.    

Yeah if you really break it down and don’t troll,  The only upset is north Gwinnett over Armwood. 

And even then they took ArmWoods game-winning touchdown off the board with a phantom Georgia flag. 

And all the other out-of-state games the Florida favorite won like STA over DLS and  deer jerky over Zachary. 

Can you list any games where in inferior out of state opponent beat higher ranked Florida team?