California Question

btango

38 minutes ago, btango said:

How many schools in California play 11 man football and are eligible for the bowl championship games?

How many bowls are there?  Is the main one based on enrollment or strictly the two schools voted best in the state?

Thanks for any information.

14 bowl games and the main one called the Open division based on the two best teams one from the north and one from south. 

40 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

14 bowl games and the main one called the Open division based on the two best teams one from the north and one from south. 

You might want to clarify that there are both regional "bowl" games and then state championship games. The participants in the Open Division state title game don't have to play in a regional bowl game (aka The Folsom Rule).

• Haha 6

Agree more people at C.I.F. Sections final than regional bowl games and the State Bowl games. I have attend every State Bowl Game Since the inaugural game when Canyon beat DLS in 2006  . For the 2 day event average attendance is about 10,000 - 12,000. Very disappointment. I have always said that the C.I.F. need to do away with Section games and go into a open state payoff system.

2 hours ago, frankyjames said:

Folsom is 4-0 in SBGs. 

#SendSomeoneBetter

Jesus Christ man.... 

How many markers did you sniff as a kid to get like this? The dude was asking about y'all's complicated ass playoff system and how the bowl system worked... He didn't ask how many bowl games Folsom won. 

Could you for once be useful towards a question... 

My God... You're the reason they had to stop wearing leather helmets in football... 

21 hours ago, btango said:

How many schools in California play 11 man football and are eligible for the bowl championship games?

How many bowls are there?  Is the main one based on enrollment or strictly the two schools voted best in the state?

Thanks for any information.

There are approximately 1050-1100 11-man football schools in California.  All are potentially eligible for the state bowl games, but must first win their divisional title.

There are 10 CIF sections, widely ranging in size.  The Southern Section has about 450 football teams, while the Oakland Section only has 6.  Each section sets up their own playoff system.  Some go by enrollment, but most have moved towards some sort of competitive-equity format (some do it better than others).

At the end of the sectional playoffs, each division winner is presented to the CIF commissioners to be placed in a bowl division.  The top team each from SoCal and NorCal are placed in the Open automatically, with no play-in game.  Both region’s #s 2/3 are placed in D-1AA where there is a regional semifinal.  It goes down to D-1A, D-2-AA, D-2A, D-3AA, etc., until all of the divisional champs that want to advance are advanced.  In some cases, there may be a quarterfinal in lower divisions if needed.

Only the top 5 division title games are invited to the big CIF televised event, this year in Cerritos.  The rest are played at the home stadiums of the opposing region (i.e., if the top games are in SoCal, the rest are in NorCal and vice-versa).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

It’s impossible to know endless you look up the info section by section an estimate would be well over 1000-1200

It’s not impossible at all.  Just go to Calpreps and choose the overall California state rankings.  I’d do it now, but it tends to crash my iPhone Safari browser.