For what its worth; ESPN new top 300

sausmann9

Just now, Horsefly said:

I only commented on your post when you stated it’s not a good look for our state.  

Regardless, TX participation is misleading based on the factors I stated, it’s hardly a quality indicator.

"California has freaking 40 Million people in it..  (22 of the Top 300 kids in America).  Not a good look." -Texasfrog

I only commented that it wasn't a good look because of this comment ^

I think your point is valid though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Except for the RE agent that handled the family’s property.  I’m surprised you didn’t quote the poster from the TX site as this very issue was recently discussed. 

Ok - I’ll look for that. Let me guess..did he live in an apartment in Allen with only one parent?  Did he transfer for academics?  LOL. 

1 hour ago, Texasfrog said:

LOL.. ya, Texas doesn't have any immigrants from Mexico/Central America coming into it.  Ha-ha-ha

Also... current events probably isn't your strong point.  But Texas is one of the fastest growing States in the Country.  Some of that growth is California transplants moving to Texas.

Uh....per capita playing football. You lose. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mje44 said:

Using population to support your point is lazy. It should be based on the number of high school students that actually play football. Putting the millions of transplants and illegals that come to California every year in that pool doesn't make sense what so ever, besides fluffing up your narrative. 

Obviously the football culture in Texas is significantly better than California. We all know that. 

Texas has significantly more high school students that play football than California (more than any other state in the country I believe). By that logic, you guys should dominate the rankings every single year. Here's some interesting data:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/

Georgia & Florida are much more impressive states to me than Texas recruiting wise. You'd think a state like Texas that eats, sleeps, & breaths football 24/7 would be more impressive, as opposed to a state like California, where politicians are actively trying to shut down the sport. 

Cali is less talented simple. Numbers wise not quality wise because there is obviously top notch athletes there but not alot of depth/numbers compared to other “big states”. Also texas is a border state too you clown , we have immigrants/transplants especially from cali too and all that stuff. Stop making excuses for the smaller talent pool in that state. Not a knock on the state or quality of athletes just the numbers are lower and the talent pools are smaller and yes espn rankings suck both qbs should be higher but i think bryce young is much more polished as a passer and should be a 5star but idk how common that is in espn rankings

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mje44 said:

Using population to support your point is lazy. It should be based on the number of high school students that actually play football. Putting the millions of transplants and illegals that come to California every year in that pool doesn't make sense what so ever, besides fluffing up your narrative. 

Obviously the football culture in Texas is significantly better than California. We all know that. 

Texas has significantly more high school students that play football than California (more than any other state in the country I believe). By that logic, you guys should dominate the rankings every single year. Here's some interesting data:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/

Georgia & Florida are much more impressive states to me than Texas recruiting wise. You'd think a state like Texas that eats, sleeps, & breaths football 24/7 would be more impressive, as opposed to a state like California, where politicians are actively trying to shut down the sport. 

TX and Cali are both awesome the way I see it.  They are just about even as the best two best "overall" football states from the persepctive of balance i.e. QB play, talent, overall gameplay etc.  Cali has what I would say is the best mix of current top teams but this is mainly due to the parochials in recent years.

FL & GA smoke them and everyone else for concentrated talent.  FL especially b/c it typically is ranked #1 overall in just about any poll to gauge talent (NFL, D1) and then also #1 per capita which is real impressive.  GA is right there but ony per capita due to size

Things are kind of as simple as above but people want to drag out the discussion.  TX and Cali top 10 HS teams would usually win out vs any other state but who the hell cares it's just HS.  Only a Rudy type mentality cares about that - when it comes to next level progression FL, GA and the southeast to TX in general dominate.  Period.

And Ive got no dog in the fight (Ohio damn impressive also)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texasvic said:

Cali is less talented simple. Numbers wise not quality wise because there is obviously top notch athletes there but not alot of depth/numbers compared to other “big states”. Also texas is a border state too you clown , we have immigrants/transplants especially from cali too and all that stuff. Stop making excuses for the smaller talent pool in that state. Not a knock on the state or quality of athletes just the numbers are lower and the talent pools are smaller and yes espn rankings suck both qbs should be higher but i think bryce young is much more polished as a passer and should be a 5star but idk how common that is in espn rankings

Explain to me the logic around how Texas has more quality talent than California, yet California has more NFL players? (I haven’t seen a 2019 data set, but over the past couple years, every data set i saw had Cali with a handful more NFL players than Texas) 

I literally gave you a data set showing how the average HSFB player in California is more likely to go D1 than a Texas HSFB player. & of that group that does go D1, the California player has a more likely chance to make it to the NFL than the Texas player. 

Yes your state is growing, but Texas has no where near the same number of immigrants & transplants as California. Stop trying to hone in on that simple statement. How about focusing on the substance of my argument? 

Only in 2019 are people called clowns for using facts & data to support there argument. You just rambled your opinion. 

2 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

TX and Cali are both awesome the way I see it.  They are just about even as the best two best "overall" football states from the persepctive of balance i.e. QB play, talent, overall gameplay etc.  Cali has what I would say is the best mix of current top teams but this is mainly due to the parochials in recent years.

FL & GA smoke them and everyone else for concentrated talent.  FL especially b/c it typically is ranked #1 overall in just about any poll to gauge talent (NFL, D1) and then also #1 per capita which is real impressive.  GA is right there but ony per capita due to size

Things are kind of as simple as above but people want to drag out the discussion.  TX and Cali top 10 HS teams would usually win out vs any other state but who the hell cares it's just HS.  Only a Rudy type mentality cares about that - when it comes to next level progression FL, GA and the southeast to TX in general dominate.  Period.

And Ive got no dog in the fight (Ohio damn impressive also)

I agree with most of what your saying.

I think you have to put Los Angeles/Orange County in the next level progression category. Not the whole state, but definitely that region. The talent in the 60 mile radius produces college & NFL athletes like crazy. Mater Dei & Bosco alone are going to produce as much NFL talent over the next decade that most states would dream of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mje44 said:

I think you have to put Los Angeles/Orange County in the next level progression category. Not the whole state, but definitely that region. The talent in the 60 mile radius produces college & NFL athletes like crazy. Mater Dei & Bosco alone are going to produce as much NFL talent over the next decade that most states would dream of. 

Absolutely thats a top notch area.  If you look at the same 60 mile radius in south FL or just do  Los Angeles and Orange Counties  vs Dade and Broward the Cali population is 3x yet FL will have more NFL'ers in a much less population and player sample.     Hell Belle Glade and Pahokee have 25k combined population and there NFL output is probably more impressive than all of LA         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahokee,_Florida       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Glade,_Florida        FL just has some  freaky pockets of talent.   Miami has the most NFL players as a city and this is from some real concentrated areas  within the city

But no doubt I get your point.  And those two HS teams you mention are the best Ive seen hands down

3 minutes ago, GrecoRoman said:

Absolutely thats a top notch area.  If you look at the same 60 mile radius in south FL or just do  Los Angeles and Orange Counties  vs Dade and Broward the Cali population is 3x yet FL will have more NFL'ers in a much less population and player sample.     Hell Belle Glade and Pahokee have 25k combined population and there NFL output is probably more impressive than all of LA         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahokee,_Florida       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Glade,_Florida        FL just has some  freaky pockets of talent.   Miami has the most NFL players as a city and this is from some real concentrated areas  within the city

But no doubt I get your point.  And those two HS teams you mention are the best Ive seen hands down

South Florida is next level

No argument there! 

14 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

California was the only state I could find updated football participation numbers on... It was just over 15,000 players.

I'd like to know what the numbers look like for other states if anyone can dig them up.

California football participation has been on a Free-Fall over the past few years.   It's dropped over 11% in the last three years.  

It keep dropping at the pace it's going..  Mater Dei and SJB will have to really start recruiting players Nation wide like IMG does.

3 hours ago, mje44 said:

That's what recruiting a lot of the top end High School Prospects from the Los Angeles/Orange County area can do for you.  LMFAO!!

California has been dropping on the overall Talent Football level the past few years.    The NFL draft has been a reflection of that too.

California High School football participation has dropped over 11% over the past few years and the free-fall looks like it's not slowing down.   You can read several articles about it.

My prediction regarding NFL players..  in about 5 years you'll see California dropped to like 5th or 6th on the number of NFL players on active rosters and you'll see schools like USC and UCLA recruiting over 50% of their players from OOS.

Talent pool is dropping in California..  

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

California has been dropping on the overall Talent Football level the past few years.    The NFL draft has been a reflection of that too.

California High School football participation has dropped over 11% over the past few years and the free-fall looks like it's not slowing down.   You can read several articles about it.

My prediction regarding NFL players..  in about 5 years you'll see California dropped to like 5th or 6th on the number of NFL players on active rosters and you'll see schools like USC and UCLA recruiting over 50% of their players from OOS.

Talent pool is dropping in California..  

TX is best overall HS state in my opinion.  No other state has the combo of coaching/talent/etc etc. 

One thing about TX as well:  The SE (i.e. FL & GA) are very top heavy on the defensive side of the ball.  I lived in Miami for years and worked a lot with Pete Bommarito - I noticed hitting and defense gets those players more motivated then gamebreaking offensive plays....its almost like a culture.  Contrast that with the great skill and gameplay on offense of the Cali schools and these contrasts are what make national football

Point is - TX has the best blend of all these things....best balance

14 hours ago, Texasvic said:

Uh....per capita playing football. You lose. 

8 hours ago, mje44 said:

Explain to me the logic around how Texas has more quality talent than California, yet California has more NFL players? (I haven’t seen a 2019 data set, but over the past couple years, every data set i saw had Cali with a handful more NFL players than Texas) 

I literally gave you a data set showing how the average HSFB player in California is more likely to go D1 than a Texas HSFB player. & of that group that does go D1, the California player has a more likely chance to make it to the NFL than the Texas player. 

Yes your state is growing, but Texas has no where near the same number of immigrants & transplants as California. Stop trying to hone in on that simple statement. How about focusing on the substance of my argument? 

Only in 2019 are people called clowns for using facts & data to support there argument. You just rambled your opinion. 

Where did i say texas had more quality? Your words not mine. And texas definitely has the same amount of immigration you clown. Texas is growing faster than cali when it comes to legal migration from other us states and overall immigration too as texas has a bigger border and is closer to the center of population in mex etc. cali isnt in the top ten when it comes to fastest growing us states. So youre still wrong Texas gets alot more transplants from other us states, idaho and nevada are the fastest growing overall. I never said cali doesnt have quality as it clearly does having 2 of the top 5 teams in the country full of talent.  But i can assure you you can find more overall athletes in houston than la despite la having a bigger population. Once again not quality but numbers

4 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

What's Texas per capita stat? Hard to make a comparison when one state has an incomplete set of data. You're just guessing at this point.

Im not guessing. We all know less kids are playing football in cali than in texas? You bring up per capita thats more of a look into quality than numbers as if i ever said cali had less quality players which i never did.  Am i right or wrong? And youre using the per capita chart  from 2016 which is the kast time such thing was looked into.  Hawaii is still the per capita champ. Yes or no? Irrelevant tho