Earl Campbell-- Texas needs a Black QB.

Texasfrog

12 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Earl had an opinion.  He expressed it.  It angered some people, made some uncomfortable - many of whom probably have uttered the same thing in the confines of their living room.  But at the end of the day it is his opinion and does not reflect on you or me.  And it is not worth getting everyone’s panties in a knot over.  

Earl Campbell opinion was textbook "RACIST" to the core.

If a White Hall-of-Fame athlete would of said the exact same thing but replace (Black with White) and there would be protest and demands that all photos, trophies, statues and name be removed from all corners of the University.  100% FACT!!

It's just another example of hypocrisy and double standard run amok in the United States today.

Listen... nobody is running the Wish-Bone anymore.   There is a reason why almost every Major University and even the NFL are running the Spread (RPO) style offensives today.    So stop talking about Barry Switzer wish-bone offense of the 1970/80s.

If Texas were running the wishbone.  Maybe we have a discussion that I could buy into!!!

23 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

Earl Campbell opinion was textbook "RACIST" to the core.

If a White Hall-of-Fame athlete would of said the exact same thing but replace (Black with White) and there would be protest and demands that all photos, trophies, statues and name be removed from all corners of the University.  100% FACT!!

It's just another example of hypocrisy and double standard run amok in the United States today.

So, what do you think should be done to Earl, what should the University do?  What’s a reasonable response to what he said? 

46 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Yes, there is a double standard.  Accept it.

So what standard do you think was being applied when a few years ago Riley cooper, as an active player, was caught on camera at a concert saying he wanted to fight every Ni$$er? I don’t recall him being fired, tarred or feathered. 

Both Earl and Riley said things they shouldn’t, but to imply only one group is punished for public indiscretions is not accurate.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

So, what do you think should be done to Earl, what should the University do?  What’s a reasonable response to what he said? 

Put into a hat the countless dumbass things universities have done when things like Earl's brilliant comments were uttered, and even lesser things, and pull out 1 of them.

Ban Earl from coming on campus or being helped out to toss a coin.

Protest that we don't feel safe with busts Earl or Shakespeare in the house.

Alt-Right Antifa launches assaults, and the admin has campus police effectively stand down.

Ban from speaking anyone who reminds the offended ones of Earl.

Go after stations and advertisers who don't shame Earl.

Ban Earl from speaking because we can't keep him safe from the violent people who don't feel safe.

Get rid of all-black frat and sororities, because that's the cause of the hijinks.

Run professors off who say Earl was simply exercising free speech (which doesn't apply, as there is no gov't actor, but we get the point).

Have a day of white-QB outrage day, and blacks aren't invited (because how could they really know what a white QB has gone thru in his travails), like that Jewish, liberal, Evergreen professor who didn't take the hint and cancel his biology classes while black students needed the campus to themselves for a day or 2.

Really, you can't think anything up?  The more idiotic, the better.  Have you been asleep for the past 10 years?  We don't even have to be unique or creative--just copy the previous idiots who made a big deal over nothing.

1 minute ago, StJoesFanboy said:

Put into a hat the countless dumbass things universities have done when things like Earl's brilliant comments were uttered, and even lesser things, and pull out 1 of them.

Alt-Right Antifa launches assaults, and the admin has campus police effectively stand down.

Ban Earl from speaking because we can't keep him safe from the violent people who don't feel safe.

Get rid of all-black frat and sororities, because that's the cause of the hijinks.

Run professors off who say Earl was simply exercising free speech (which doesn't apply, as there is no gov't actor, but we get the point).

Have a day of white-QB outrage day, and blacks aren't invited (because how could they really know what a white QB has gone thru in his travails), like that Jewish, liberal, Evergreen professor who didn't take the hint and cancel his biology classes while black students needed the campus to themselves for a day or 2.

Really, you can't think anything up?  The more idiotic, the better.  Have you been asleep for the past 10 years?  We don't even have to be unique or creative--just copy the previous idiots who made a big deal over nothing.

All your ranting is not answering the question. Was Riley cooper, a public figure,  given a pass for making a very bad public statement?  (That’s the comparison to Earl, I don’t need an exact example to make a point) 

of course the answer is “yes”.  Every one that makes an error is not punished.  

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

So what standard do you think was being applied when a few years ago Riley cooper, as an active player, was caught on camera at a concert saying he wanted to fight every Ni$$er? I don’t recall him being fired, tarred or feathered. 

Both Earl and Riley said things they shouldn’t, but to imply only one group is punished for public indiscretions is not accurate.  

Riley Cooper was widely vilified.  And I think absolutely nothing should happen to Campbell.  And what he said was not textbook “RACIST” as alleged above.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Write it off as dementia. But there definitely has become a obvious double standard when dealing with racial infused comments. 

I actually know someone that played with Earl in New Orleans. He said "Earl Campbell is the dumbest rich guy Ive ever known. If it wasn't for football and sausage, he'd probably be filling potholes for the city of Tyler". 

I like Earl, but what he said is just dumb. Can you imagine the "outrage" on TV if he were white and said that TU needs a white Head Coach when Charlie Strong was there???

3 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

Btw, I don't want a darn thing to happen to Earl.  He's the man.  In the next few decades, we'll see that we need to pull together.

My dad always said that till we're all inter-married this sh!t will be with us.  I see more and more inter-marriage among the non-elites, which is the way God wants it.  I'm going to Mass at 1130, and I want my mind where it belongs.

8 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

All your ranting is not answering the question. Was Riley cooper, a public figure,  given a pass for making a very bad public statement?  (That’s the comparison to Earl, I don’t need an exact example to make a point) 

BUt all of this most likely would have happened had it been reversed. Are you defending Earl because he's black? 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I didn't see your Riley question before I posted the above.

I think below i answered some of your above.

This is the 4th time you've insulted me.  You have 6 more insults left, before I do what whitey used to do better than others, and that is call the cops.

12 minutes ago, rockinl said:

BUt all of this most likely would have happened had it been reversed. Are you defending Earl because he's black? 

No I’m not.  My comment was to to the double standard.  Society will address or enforce what is convenient.  That’s why I brought up Riley cooper as an ex.  A high profile athlete who was not banned.  

12 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No I’m not.  My comment was to to the double standard.  Society will address or enforce what is convenient.  That’s why I brought up Riley cooper as an ex.  A high profile athlete who was not banned.  

He should have been banned. And if you were taking Earls side because he is black, you would only be displaying human tendencies based on what's "familial" to you. I dont agree with those type defenses, but it is always strong in the black community, based on my experiences.

2 hours ago, rockinl said:

Write it off as dementia. But there definitely has become a obvious double standard when dealing with racial infused comments. 

I actually know someone that played with Earl in New Orleans. He said "Earl Campbell is the dumbest rich guy Ive ever known. If it wasn't for football and sausage, he'd probably be filling potholes for the city of Tyler". 

I like Earl, but what he said is just dumb. Can you imagine the "outrage" on TV if he were white and said that TU needs a white Head Coach when Charlie Strong was there???

One of the boosters indeed said that exact same thing. (Red McCombs) and it was deemed racist.  As if a Black Coach isn't good enough to BE a head coach let alone at Texas.  I guess context matter.  McCombs was an NFL owner. 

"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Red McCombs on Charlie Strong.   Black QBs still get slighted like this.  Earl Campbell has always been considered a good old boy by Black men. You and I know that first hand.  Skoal dipping and loving Bum Phillips as a Dad while he worked his ass like a rented mule.  And pimping Swine Sausages. 

I guess this isn't true.  I don't remember Johnny Manziel or Baker Mayfield being asked to do the same.  Where was the outrage. Imagine if they asked one of the mobile white QB's to do this.  Double standard indeed.  See how I flipped it sir. 

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson reveals the one team that wanted him to play receiver

Although Jackson is a quarterback -- and has been a quarterback his entire life -- a report came out during the combine that several teams wanted Jackson to work out as a wide receiver so they could get an idea of what he might be capable of, if he were to switch positions. Jackson was so upset by the request that he decided to pull out of the 40-yard dash. 

Where did Baker and Manziel go in the Draft?  hmmmmmm

Former General Manager Bill Polian, who was the Colts' GM from 1997-2011, was very vocal with his opinion that Jackson should switch to wide receiver, because his throwing "accuracy isn't there."

Although most teams viewed Jackson as a talented quarterback, he still took a tumble in the draft. After sitting through the first 31 picks, Jackson didn't get selected until the Ravens traded up and grabbed him with the final pick of the first round

Imagine the outrage if Baker Mayfield was asked to do this.  Be a punt returner or WR.    This damn Double Standard is 50 yrs old.  Beginning with Waren Moon having to go to Canada.  Whats ironic is Texas wanted to do the same with RGIII, Hurts and Ware.  🤣

Could Lamar Jackson pull double duty this weekend in Indianapolis?

Multiple teams request Lamar Jackson to work out as WR

Multiple NFL teams have requested for the dual-threat Lousiville quarterback to work out as a wide receiver, in addition to working out as a QB, Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager reported Friday, per a source informed of the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918639/article/multiple-teams-request-lamar-jackson-to-work-out-as-wr

In three years at Louisville, Jackson caught a grand total of zero passes for zero yards.

27 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

One of the boosters indeed said that exact same thing. (Red McCombs) and it was deemed racist.  As if a Black Coach isn't good enough to BE a head coach let alone at Texas.  I guess context matter.  McCombs was an NFL owner. 

"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs is one of the reasons great coaches dont want to coach at Texas. A uber rich idiot.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Red McCombs on Charlie Strong.   Black QBs still get slighted like this.  Earl Campbell has always been considered a good old boy by Black men. You and I know that first hand.  Skoal dipping and loving Bum Phillips as a Dad while he worked his ass like a rented mule.  And pimping Swine Sausages. 

I guess this isn't true.  I don't remember Johnny Manziel or Baker Mayfield being asked to do the same.  Where was the outrage. Imagine if they asked one of the mobile white QB's to do this.  Double standard indeed.  See how I flipped it sir. 

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson reveals the one team that wanted him to play receiver

Although Jackson is a quarterback -- and has been a quarterback his entire life -- a report came out during the combine that several teams wanted Jackson to work out as a wide receiver so they could get an idea of what he might be capable of, if he were to switch positions. Jackson was so upset by the request that he decided to pull out of the 40-yard dash. 

Where did Baker and Manziel go in the Draft?  hmmmmmm

Former General Manager Bill Polian, who was the Colts' GM from 1997-2011, was very vocal with his opinion that Jackson should switch to wide receiver, because his throwing "accuracy isn't there."

Although most teams viewed Jackson as a talented quarterback, he still took a tumble in the draft. After sitting through the first 31 picks, Jackson didn't get selected until the Ravens traded up and grabbed him with the final pick of the first round

I dont think in any way E.C. was being racist. Just the way he sees it, although it's not the way to pick a QB.

1 minute ago, rockinl said:

McCombs is one of the reasons great coaches dont want to coach at Texas. A uber rich idiot.

And I agree Earl is stupid and it's not just this statement.  I am telling you Brotha's are not  big Earl dudes.  He was considered corny as hell with that damn Skoal Commercial. 

3 minutes ago, rockinl said:

I dont think in any way E.C. was being racist. Just the way he sees it, although it's not the way to pick a QWB.

I agree good QBs are good regardless of color but there has been a stigma associated with black QBs and whether others believe it or not black men in Texas feel that UT have a problem with Black QBs.   VY the exception.   Whether real or not that is the  perception and the reason many are OU Fans.  Now that's a fact I am in the Brotha network that speaks among themselves😎.  Many feel Sam Ehlinger would not be starting if he was black and Roshon was White.  That is real talk among many.  If a black QB started out like Sam did his Freshmen year his ass would be a FB right now.