Earl Campbell-- Texas needs a Black QB.

Texasfrog

I don't think Earl was trying to be racist. I think he knows what speed brings to the QB position. UT needs something, that's for sure. Sam can throw pretty well, run pretty good if you just need a few yards, but he doesn't have the break away speed to get the huge plays with his feet consistently. And by the way I am white. When you mention black or white in a comment that you make, people often want to say it's racist. I'm not sure it that is right. Everyone has to be be politically correct in this day and age it seems. Or they will catch hell. Myself I'm not big on political correctness. I don't think Earl Campbell is a racist, I think he is a UT alum tired of not seeing his alma mater not be successful. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DevilDog said:

1985    Jamelle Holieway (8), Troy Aikman† (4)    (They even ran off Troy to UCLA for a BLACK QB)

Didn’t Aikman break his leg or something, and OU just happened to have one of their most gifted mobile QB’s of all time just slide in and delay their transition to a spread offense by a few years?  Sounds like it was Aikman who bolted.

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

Didn’t Aikman break his leg or something, and OU just happened to have one of their most gifted mobile QB’s of all time just slide in and delay their transition to a spread offense by a few years?  Sounds like it was Aikman who bolted.

Aikman was a pure pocket passer and obviously a great one...no idea why he would choose OU with their running attack🤔🤔

White in state QBs Texas didn’t land or passed on under Mack brown: 

ryan Mallett 

Matthew Stafford 

Bryce petty 

andrew luck 

nick foles 

ryan Tannehill (Steeler’s boy) 

black QBs missed:

jameis Winston 

RG3 

darron Thomas 

Lot of QBs on both lists Texas could of won with ..... 

18 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Jerry currently owns the cowboys.  Earl is retired and has no official capacity with UT.  Their statements would be viewed differently although Earl is getting roasted for his comments 

I said Black Augie as a manifest joke.  I own no HS football team.  I have no official or unofficial capacity with any HSF team.  I didn't go to any BNU team, wasn't a star there, and am not a public figure or HOFer.  I say things for the amusement of 60 jerk-offs, not for any impact, and MSM doesn't pick up and debate what I say.

You turned up out of the blue to "ask," to wonder, to be curious.

You don't seem terribly curious about this.  You've turned into an apologist, one might say.  Perhaps not.

People aren't as stupid as some might think.  It's not our 1st rodeo.

I love Earl Campbell, and could care less abut what he says outside his highly-limited zone of competence, which is probably diminishing by the moment, due to what he sacrificed for his teams and the game.  He's a good man.  I don't doubt that you are a very good man, but the double standards and rationalizations and differences without much distinction have to go.  It's very transparent.

N.B.  And doesn't this discussion belong on the Dark Side, which I say while tipping my cap to that red neck from HotLanta who coined that phrase.

11 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

I said Black Augie as a manifest joke.  I own no HS football team.  I have no official or unofficial capacity with any HSF team.  I didn't go to any BNU team, wasn't a star there, and am not a public figure or HOFer.  I say things for the amusement of 60 jerk-offs, not for any impact, and MSM doesn't pick up and debate what I say.

You turned up out of the blue to "ask," to wonder, to be curious.

You don't seem terribly curious about this.  You've turned into an apologist, one might say.  Perhaps not.

People aren't as stupid as some might think.  It's not our 1st rodeo.

I love Earl Campbell, and could care less abut what he says outside his highly-limited zone of competence, which is probably diminishing by the moment, due to what he sacrificed for his teams and the game.  He's a good man.  I don't doubt that you are a very good man, but the double standards and rationalizations and differences without much distinction have to go.  It's very transparent.

N.B.  And doesn't this discussion belong on the Dark Side, which I say while tipping my cap to that red neck from HotLanta who coined that phrase.

I didn’t start the thread.  My response was to a specific comment about if Jerry Jones had said a similar thing would there be an uproar.  My response is it would be greater based on the reason I outlined. 

I made no comment about supporting or rejecting Earl’s comment.  And I did it on purpose.  So your comment about me being an apologist is out of bounds.  

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I didn’t start the thread.  My response was to a specific comment about if Jerry Jones had said a similar thing would there be an uproar.  My response is it would be greater based on the reason I outlined. 

I made no comment about supporting or rejecting Earl’s comment.  And I did it on purpose.  So your comment about me being an apologist is out of bounds.  

Common, out of all the threads in this world that invite nuanced observation and comment, you had to pick this one?

what feed your interest in clarifying IMA's careless comparison to JJ?  and then there's Black Augie.

what drives our interests can be enlightening.  (Oooopppps, I have to be careful that that one doesn't come back to bite.)

I've read enough of your comments to know 2 things:  you're a mensch (I'm not Jewish), and you know football.  I got my eye on you.

Just now, StJoesFanboy said:

Common, out of all the threads in this world that invite nuanced observation and comment, you had to pick this one?

what feed your interest in clarifying IMA's careless comparison to JJ?  and then there's Black Augie.

what drives our interests can be enlightening.  (Oooopppps, I have to be careful that that one doesn't come back to bite.)

I've read enough of your comments to know 2 things:  you're a mensch (I'm not Jewish), and you know football.  I got my eye on you.

To point out that it was careless. 

I asked you about black augie to seek clarification.   Did I accuse you of anything?  

I’ve responded to hundreds of comments in this forum, why do you think 2 dealing in “race” establish some pattern of my interests?  

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

To point out that it was careless. 

I asked you about black augie to seek clarification.   Did I accuse you of anything?  

I’ve responded to hundreds of comments in this forum, why do you think 2 dealing in “race” establish some pattern of my interests?  

I always pick on black guys.  You're black, right?

9 hours ago, On2whls said:

Yes but he knew after Holloway started balling he would not get his job back

6 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Pick on black guys?  You really think highly of yourself don’t you?  

I always get a chuckle out of the illusory  superiority displayed on here.  You are a poster child for the cognitive bias.   😂 

You are a poster child for this nation's lack of irony, inability to understand to grasp sarcasm and satire, hang ups, and strategic retreat to over- and mis-used states of consciousness such as unconscious bias (which is probably much more specific and appropriate to what you're aiming at, rather than the more general cognitive bias).

I don't pick on black guys.  are you kidding?  you're in a fog.  that was a joke, which was near impossible to miss.

and there's little to nothing illusory going on here.  it's pretty real and sad.  You believe that in this day and age I as a white think I'm superior to you?  How quickly you were able to pivot right to race in the face of my objectively-absurd statement on a board.  No wonder why race relations deteriorated.  You've being fed a diet of nonsense, and you're making the case I made in an earlier post.

Re: superiority, and amusingly so, Earl arguably insinuated that blacks were better QBs at least for certain teams.  Did that display of superiority, captured by the MSM (not on a 60-person board) escape you?  Did that "thought" of his emanate from his unconscious bias, Dr. Freud?

You've missed almost every point or misread almost every point.  many on the the board understand that, but they're not getting $500 an hour to work to make a dent.  Words won't penetrate; this requires sessions.

This is a deep, emotional, and subtle subject, which is why I tried to keep it light, and failed to do so.  My apologies.  You and I are equal under the law, in reality, and in God's eyes.

14 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

I don't pick on black guys.  are you kidding?  you're in a fog.  that was a joke, which was near impossible to miss.

and there's little to nothing illusory going on here.  it's pretty real and sad.  You believe that in this day and age I as a white think I'm superior to you?  How quickly you were able to pivot right to race in the face of my objectively-absurd statement on a board.  No wonder why race relations deteriorated.  You've being fed a diet of nonsense, and you're making the case I made in an earlier post.

Re: superiority, and amusingly so, Earl arguably insinuated that blacks were better QBs at least for certain teams.  Did that display of superiority, captured by the MSM (not on a 60-person board) escape you?  Did that "thought" of his emanate from his unconscious bias, Dr. Freud?

You've missed almost every point or misread almost every point.  many on the the board understand that, but they're not getting $500 an hour to work to make a dent.  Words won't penetrate; this requires sessions.

This is a deep, emotional, and subtle subject, which is why I tried to keep it light, and failed to do so.  My apologies.  You and I are equal under the law, in reality, and in God's eyes.

Do I know you? Why would I think what you post is a “joke” when I’ve interacted with you in 2 threads?

we’ve had folks banned on this forum for much more egregious racial comments.  Why would I find yours innocent when you didn’t offer any expression that it was?  

there are tools we can use to show and express ourselves more efficiently in forum text....they’re called emojis and j/k abbrev. use them. 

It’s as simple as that.  

10 hours ago, On2whls said:

IMO this horrible example.  OU was not ready Aikman type talent.  it would be like JH going to UCLA.   

6 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Do I know you? Why would I think what you post is a “joke” when I’ve interacted with you in 2 threads?

there are tools we use to show and express ourselves more efficiently in forum text....they’re called emojis, use them!!

this comes to mind, and I'm not comparing you to Archie Bunker (which would be ridiculous):  [Rough quoting]  There's 3 things you can't talk about with Archie:  politics, religion, and everything else.

I know better, and yet I'm incapable of not making the same mistakes again.

As white guy who has many black friends, I find Earl’s statement to be raciest the moment he says skin color.

This raciest comment could actually set this program back w/ elite potential white QBs.  Elite black or white QB’s are not dime-a-dozen and hard to come by.

it also pisses me off that he would basically call at the White QB when this team has  long list of both skin colors playing like dog shit.  

23 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

this comes to mind, and I'm not comparing you to Archie Bunker (which would be ridiculous):  [Rough quoting]  There's 3 things you can't talk about with Archie:  politics, religion, and everything else.

I know better, and yet I'm incapable of not making the same mistakes again.

What are you trying to talk to me about?  You’ve made accusations and assumptions all based on me addressing a poster on his statement about JJ and Earl and me getting clarification from a statement you made about black augie. 

If you wanted to know what I thought about Earl’s statement on its merit...just ask instead of the gymnastics you went through.  (Just like I did with you) 

Come on man, it’s not that hard.  

24 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

What are you trying to talk to me about?  You’ve made accusations and assumptions all based on me addressing a poster on his statement about JJ and Earl and me getting clarification from a statement you made about black augie. 

If you wanted to know what I thought about Earl’s statement on its merit...just ask instead of the gymnastics you went through.  (Just like I did with you) 

Come on man, it’s not that hard.  

I've already taken your temperature.  I don't need to ask.