Corona Virus Response in the UK

15yds4gibberish

I have no idea how much damage the corona virus will do, but I think it reasonable to be very concerned.  After all, we are talking about a virus that appears to be highly transmissible, and it is probably a lot more lethal than ordinary flu.

I make no claim to having any expertise in epidemiology, epidemics, or pandemics, but I just got back from a week in the UK, so I thought I’d share some observations about the response over there and how it differs from what we have seen here:

• Just as here, Corona Virus is the leading story in all the newspapers and news broadcasts over there.
  • Unlike here, the UK is airing PSA’s on a regular basis.  This provides the populace with the best available information about the virus and what to do and where to go if you think you have been exposed or have symptoms.  IMO one apparent side effect of regular and trusted PSA’s is the equivalent of cable news exhibits a strong sense of responsibly attempting to walk the fine line between being accurate and informative and not causing panic.
  • Test kits do not appear to be in short supply there as they are here.  They have even set up drive through test centers, and have a plan for people who test positive, including medical care and already established isolation centers if necessary.
  • Over there testing is part of healthcare so it is available to all who need it.  Coupled with a policy of paid work leave, nobody is afraid that a positive test could force them into bankruptcy, so testing is more likely to happen rather than people trying to hide the illness, only to exacerbate the spread.
  • The basic strategy in the UK appears to be to detect as early as possible and to try to limit the spread as much as possible for as long as possible, isolating cases, checking close contacts of those infected, attempting to minimize harm until a vaccine becomes available. 
  • If I had to guess, one of the potential countervailing forces that could speed the spread of corona virus in the UK relative to the US is a more communal daily life (at least where I was).  For example, public transportation is clean, comfortable, reliable, and efficient (free wifi on busses and trains), so lots of people use it.  The downside during a virus is lots of people use it, leaving a whole bunch of public surfaces where a droplet based virus can survive for days…

The following picture is from a newsstand in the UK last Thursday morning:

Newsstand.jpg.baa9cde1e9d23045df1fa4f205b95518.jpg

@BigDrop Thank you for your notes on this topic - Some good advice there.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

Hoax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The virus, in this country, is a HOAX!!! 

Donald told me. 

This proves that either you're a bleeding heart never trumpe liberal , trolling, or you have a serious issue with comprehension. All's one has to do is listen to what he said and the it is certainly NOT that. But that's what the msm is pushing 24/7365 for all of the gullible minion. 

14 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

This proves that either you're a bleeding heart never trumpe liberal , trolling, or you have a serious issue with comprehension. All's one has to do is listen to what he said and the it is certainly NOT that. But that's what the msm is pushing 24/7365 for all of the gullible minion. 

He is a good little 🐑 no doubt.

Just now, I AM IRONMAN said:

He is a good little 🐑 no doubt.

I think that he's trolling. He hates Trump, for whatever reason, soooo much that he's willing to sound like a complete moron rather than be the thinker/independent that he claims to be. His hate for this President is over the top hate. There's likely history there. I'm guessing that he hated Trump long before he got tot he WH. Both NYers and all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I have no idea how much damage the corona virus will do, but I think it reasonable to be very concerned.  After all, we are talking about a virus that appears to be highly transmissible, and it is probably a lot more lethal than ordinary flu.

I make no claim to having any expertise in epidemiology, epidemics, or pandemics, but I just got back from a week in the UK, so I thought I’d share some observations about the response over there and how it differs from what we have seen here:

• Just as here, Corona Virus is the leading story in all the newspapers and news broadcasts over there.
  • Unlike here, the UK is airing PSA’s on a regular basis.  This provides the populace with the best available information about the virus and what to do and where to go if you think you have been exposed or have symptoms.  IMO one apparent side effect of regular and trusted PSA’s is the equivalent of cable news exhibits a strong sense of responsibly attempting to walk the fine line between being accurate and informative and not causing panic.
  • Test kits do not appear to be in short supply there as they are here.  They have even set up drive through test centers, and have a plan for people who test positive, including medical care and already established isolation centers if necessary.
  • Over there testing is part of healthcare so it is available to all who need it.  Coupled with a policy of paid work leave, nobody is afraid that a positive test could force them into bankruptcy, so testing is more likely to happen rather than people trying to hide the illness, only to exacerbate the spread.
  • The basic strategy in the UK appears to be to detect as early as possible and to try to limit the spread as much as possible for as long as possible, isolating cases, checking close contacts of those infected, attempting to minimize harm until a vaccine becomes available. 
  • If I had to guess, one of the potential countervailing forces that could speed the spread of corona virus in the UK relative to the US is a more communal daily life (at least where I was).  For example, public transportation is clean, comfortable, reliable, and efficient (free wifi on busses and trains), so lots of people use it.  The downside during a virus is lots of people use it, leaving a whole bunch of public surfaces where a droplet based virus can survive for days…

Thanks, 15yds4gibberish, much appreciated.  This is especially interesting since the Vancouver company I retired from (and am still very close to) has a plant in China.  At one point it was shut down and I heard first hand reports on what it was like to go through this.  Both for those who managed it and also for the materials that were not being shipped.

But there is another point:  China is a Communist state that has gone through explosive growth with wild financial success leading to the regime’s popular acceptance. The virus could challenge this acceptance and political tolerance.  Some believe that the Chinese government overreacted while others believe they had no choice but to shut as much down as possible. Then it began to spread.

Two weeks ago our factory (and many others) reopened.  One week ago it had returned to full operation with shipments once again leaving the country.  Around the country the virus, if you will, began to moderate somewhat. Perhaps with the return of somewhat warmer weather.

But here is the problem:  this Fall when cold weather returns.  There is nowhere on earth where a vaccine is expected to be popularly available for another year to year and half.  The expectation there (and perhaps here) is that when it returns it will be full blown and even more threatening.

What does China (or Italy, Iran, South Korea, etc.) do when this happens?  And, if you run a manufacturing plant in that country what do you do to operate your business then?  What do you do for those who work and live there?  And for your home country’s sr management (and who are also your friends as are their families) who live there?

For myself this is more than what happens here.

Then there is the fear of large crowds of people and the possible transmission of the disease.  Stadiums, conventions, theme and water parks, schools, large gatherings and so forth including dramatic scaling back of overall travel.  A lot has been cancelled around the world.  This then affects respective economies and particular companies’ profitability.  And this may only be the starting point for what can spiral out of control.  

Really interesting to read about your U.K. experiences.  Thanks again for sharing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/04/coronavirus-live-updates/ Is an outstanding live international update thread from the Washington Post.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Blueliner said:

I am a never Trumper. That is absolute. 

I wear an American IS Great Hat. 

None of that loser MAGA stuff.

• Like 2

Just so you know...

Overview

Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that can cause illnesses such as the common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). In 2019, a new coronavirus was identified as the cause of a disease outbreak in China.

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 may appear two to 14 days after exposure and can include:

Fever
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

The severity of COVID-19 symptoms can range from very mild to severe. People who are older or have existing medical conditions, such as heart disease, may be at higher risk of serious illness. This is similar to what is seen with other respiratory illnesses, such as influenza.

• Thanks 1

I started this thread not long after I got back from the UK.  I wrote about how the quality of the news  about this thing is different over there.  Since then, someone brought this interview to my attention.  It's an excellent and informed discussion with the CEO  of CEPI vaccines.  It's 20 minutes, but if you are into it, a really informative 20 minutes.  If you only have a minute, start at 9:50 where Dr. Hatchett talks about the difference between individual risk and social risk:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dcJDpV-igjs?autoplay=1

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Not concerned at all

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Dude, I take ownership of what I do. Most important is what I do to be alive. 

Than that just tells me ur afraid of death and you will let things stop you from living due to being afraid of death. 

There are diseases viruses etc all over the world. It's one of the pesky issues of globalism that certain people seem to be a fan of. 

But hey.you continue to be cautious and such and have this temporary thing affect ur life 

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Than that just tells me ur afraid of death and you will let things stop you from living due to being afraid of death. 

There are diseases viruses etc all over the world. It's one of the pesky issues of globalism that certain people seem to be a fan of. 

But hey.you continue to be cautious and such and have this temporary thing affect ur life 

you DESPERATELY  need a course in logic

21 hours ago, noonereal said:

Dude, I take ownership of what I do. Most important is what I do to be alive. 

That's good...

...it explains why...

..you can't, and don't, blame the government for some Chinese, or any virus...

PS: sure hope you haven't vested your highly prized ownership in them...

BTW: How's the illegal alien open border mantra working out these days? still a fan right?