Once in a Generation Virus

Sammyswordsman

Just now, I AM IRONMAN said:

Well brother you are the minority.

Believe it or not I want him to succeed. I may not like him personally, but I still want him to succeed and overcome this crisis...for all our sakes! 

Im not a nutcase that wants him to fail b/c when he fails we all fail.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

So you don’t think this is overblown and think the response is appropriate to the potential threat? 

There is a difference between panic and taking it seriously.  Tanking the economy is going to cause serious hardships and deaths.  Does not mean that certain measures were not needed, but they have real costs too.  Social distancing may spread the burden out over time, but may leave millions without income for over a year or more.  Elderly people who draw on their 401Ks are losing their life savings with no hope of getting it back.  We have a lack of good evidence on the relative benefit of some things being done relying on intuition may be badly flawed.  People are trying to do their best in a horrible situation.  We should all hope, and even help, them succeed.

• Like 3

Just now, Bormio said:

There is a difference between panic and taking it seriously.  Tanking the economy is going to cause serious hardships and deaths.  Does not mean that certain measures were not needed, but they have real costs too.  Social distancing may spread the burden out over time, but may leave millions without income for over a year or more.  Elderly people who draw on their 401Ks are losing their life savings with no hope of getting it back.  We have a lack of good evidence on the relative benefit of some things being done relying on intuition may be badly flawed.  People are trying to do their best in a horrible situation.  We should all hope, and even help, them succeed.

Fair enough 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

So you don’t think this is overblown and think the response is appropriate to the potential threat? 

Only since agent orange finally admits it. When it was scientists, epidemiologists and the media, that answer appeared to be a resounding no. 

Stocks sold off after one of the epidemiologist experts to the administration gives a speech to multinational investment firms, less than a week later and after those firms sell off, skimming everyones retirement money off the markets, then an emergency is declared and all these guys suddenly think it's something real. 

Well, most of these guys. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

come on Bell, the threads were all mixed back then. So yeah nice diversion.

I've already answered this, I wasn't a big believer in the political stuff meshed in with sports so my participation in politics wasn't as robust as it is now with the OT thread.  A matter of fact I left temporarily b/c of the political stuff. 

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Im not a nutcase that wants him to fail b/c when he fails we all fail.  

I am. I want the orange SOB to fail so badly it hurts.......and, we have already failed in so many ways.

...dictator trump has been President for almost 4 years and I can't think of a single thing he has done for me and my family in that time.....that's MY job anyways.

Good news is.....

I don't owe this orange bastard anything and NEVER will.

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I am. I want the orange SOB to fail so badly it hurts.......and, we have already failed in so many ways.

...dictator trump has been President for almost 4 years and I can't think of a single thing he has done for me and my family in that time.....that's MY job.

Good news is.....

I don't owe this orange bastard anything and NEVER will.

So you would have the country fail, like in this crisis, just to spite Trump?  That tells me his downfall is more important to you than the well being of the country as a whole.  That’s a hell of price to pay just b/c of one man 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

So you would have the country fail, like in this crisis, just to spite Trump?  That tells me his downfall is more important to you than the well being of the country as a whole.  That’s a hell of price to pay just b/c of one man 

Aaah, he just wanted a response

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

So you would have the country fail, 

Why do you believe this country hasn't already failed?.......the fact that we are floating? We've been floating for decades.

The simple fact that we are a paycheck to paycheck society should scare the hell out of people.

The simple fact this country is NEVER prepared for ANYTHING should scare the hell out of people 

The simple fact this country has so much debt people laugh at us and hold it as leverage...

Etc, etc, etc.........

SO, that said......put someone in there I LIKE and can stomach (fuck policy). That's what it boils down to, horesfly.

George Bush Jr was a presidential failure, but I liked him.

14 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Why do you believe this country hasn't already failed?.......the fact that we are floating? We've been floating for decades.

The simple fact that we are a paycheck to paycheck society should scare the hell out of people.

The simple fact this country is NEVER prepared for ANYTHING should scare the hell out of people 

The simple fact this country has so much debt people laugh at us and hold it as leverage...

Etc, etc, etc.........

SO, that said......put someone in there I LIKE and can stomach (fuck policy). That's what it boils down to, horesfly.

George Bush Jr was a presidential failure, but I liked him.

But that wasn’t my question.  I asked do you WANT him to fail.  Let’s take this crisis as ex only.  Are you wanting trump to have success in containing the virus from spreading and stabilizing the country? 

you’re arguing about the ideal candidate, that’s not my issue at the moment 

27 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If that's true, then Trump should be held accountable for helping people's retirements to get stolen by the large multinational investment firms as he downplayed the crisis to the general public. 

Why is it you people act like Trump spent months "downplaying".

Which of you people on here were all over Obama when he said H1N1 was no cause for alarm in the early days?

Which of you were all over him for waiting 4-5 months to declare a national emergency when tens of millions were already infected?

Exactly what was Trump supposed to have done that would have a) changed the situation described and b) gotten bi-partisan support instead of attacks from the left?

3 minutes ago, concha said:

Which of you people on here were all over Obama when he said H1N1 was no cause for alarm in the early days?

Which of you were all over him for waiting 4-5 months to declare a national emergency when tens of millions were already infected?

Exactly what was Trump supposed to have done that would have a) changed the situation described and b) gotten bi-partisan support instead of attacks from the left?

From Jan. 20th when Osterholm warned the administration this was gonna pop all the way until Osterholm gave a speech to those multinational investment firms, he did in fact play it down to the general public. Not only in his rallies but in questions by reporters. 

Only after the markets crashed did he finally come clean. His tone and message are now totally different and it can't even be debated. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, concha said:

In December  he was on trial for Impeachment, and had to divert attention to that 

8 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I asked do you WANT him to fail.

I said.......yes!

I said that 4 years ago and it hasn't changed. I'm NOT a "stock market puppet" and never have been.

9 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Are you wanting trump to have success in containing the virus from spreading and stabilizing the country? 

There's NOT a damn thing he can do about it...He lost that war in 2018.

I'm happy he sees that and is throwing some bones to the less fortunate though. ..surprises the hell out me truthfully.

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

I said.......yes!

I said that 4 years ago and it hasn't changed. I'm NOT a "stock market puppet" and never have been.

There's NOT a damn thing he can do about it...He lost that war in 2018.

I'm happy he sees that and is throwing some bones to the less fortunate though. ..surprises the hell out me truthfully.

He's got to throw bones to them. A good many folks lost their retirements. Some close enough to retirement that they'll not recover. 

Some may have 20 more years to stay in and get built back up. 

I'm not sure sending people 1000 dollars is enough to keep stuff moving for up to 18 months though. 

• Like 1