Big Transfer loss for STA to Gulliver Prep

Columbiafan

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

Gulliver any good? Assuming they aren’t on the same level as Aquinas 

They are solid for where they play 

At this point they are probably a contender to win 4a along with potentially Miami Booker T Washington, University School, Miami Carol City, and Cardinal Gibbons in the same region

But keep in mind Gulliver is significantly smaller than St Thomas Aquinas and doesn't have same level of resources or prestige but they are notable for being the alma mater of Sean Taylor 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Wow! Plus they lost their DC to USAA. 

Well fortunately Jason Taylor got promoted, he may not have a ton of experience Calling plays but he has a ton of experience as a former player for many years and should have no Trouble getting the most out of his players 

It remains to be seen how well he fits in a huge role 

10 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They are solid for where they play 

At this point they are probably a contender to win 4a along with potentially Miami Booker T Washington, University School, Miami Carol City, and Cardinal Gibbons in the same region

But keep in mind Gulliver is significantly smaller than St Thomas Aquinas and doesn't have same level of resources or prestige but they are notable for being the alma mater of Sean Taylor 

That’s what I figured. The perception out here at least is that Aquinas is the biggest power private from over there. (-IMG) Who would you place on the same level as STA for Florida privates? If anybody.  Off the top of my head I can think of American heritage and gibbons being pretty good football schools. 
Sean Taylor = 🐐 

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

That’s what I figured. The perception out here at least is that Aquinas is the biggest power private from over there. (-IMG) Who would you place on the same level as STA for Florida privates? If anybody.  Off the top of my head I can think of American heritage and gibbons being pretty good football schools. 
Sean Taylor = 🐐 

Comparing most if not all other privates in Florida to STA is like comparing authentic Italian pizza to frozen pizza

STA resources and talent pool is almost untouched by anyone out there and in 95% of the years they are a tier above any private in Florida

Off top of my head, privates who are Usually good

North FL:

Bolles

Trinity Christian

Central Florida:

Tampa Jesuit

South Florida:

AHP

Cardinal Gibbons

Gulliver Prep

Chaminade Madonna

Columbus

Just to name a few 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 954gator said:

Interesting.   I'm sure STA will be aight!

They may be alright but they won't just be able to replace him like any casual player 

No JV player is gonna come in and make up for all the production like they could at some positions, granted as long as STA don't lose anyone else of significance on the OL the effects won't be huge on the program but it definitely will hurt losing him as he was probably the best OL on the team

Though it probably in long run helps Gulliver more than it hurts STA

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Columbiafan said:

They may be alright but they won't just be able to replace him like any casual player 

No JV player is gonna come in and make up for all the production like they could at some positions, granted as long as STA don't lose anyone else of significance on the OL the effects won't be huge on the program but it definitely will hurt losing him as he was probably the best OL on the team

Though it probably in long run helps Gulliver more than it hurts STA

They will replace him with a quality starter. The kid he beat out last year was an upperclassmen that was good, but if its close coaches usually go with the younger player. Julian couldn't do the commute anymore. He lives far from STA and will be moving further away to be with his terminally ill grandmother. Gulliver had 2 other transfers this week, one of which is a 5* kicker. Maybe they're going all in.

22 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

They will replace him with a quality starter. The kid he beat out last year was an upperclassmen that was good, but if its close coaches usually go with the younger player. Julian couldn't do the commute anymore. He lives far from STA and will be moving further away to be with his terminally ill grandmother. Gulliver had 2 other transfers this week, one of which is a 5* kicker. Maybe they're going all in.

Not sure if you just goofed and wrote that backwards, or if things are different where you're from. I know at the program I follow it is the opposite. A senior will always start over an underclassmen if it is close.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

We shall see but I doubt that STA just happens to have the number 1 OL in the 2022 class replacement ready to go 

Most the transfers going into STA lately aren't even that strong compared to other SFL programs

Look at the transfers going to AHP, Chaminade, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central, etc 

You will see a significant difference in strength, what STA has is normally they are one of the deepest programs in the state and have tons of coaches and resources to work with

There are definitely programs out there bringing in better starters in the off-season than STA has 

29 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Not sure if you just goofed and wrote that backwards, or if things are different where you're from. I know at the program I follow it is the opposite. A senior will always start over an underclassmen if it is close.

No, I wrote it as it usually happens in my experience. When I grew up seniority was king, but what I noticed lately was if two kids are battling for a position and its close the underclassmen usually wins because the coach has him for longer. Maybe it's just a private school thing because younger athletes can and will transfer and come back to kill you for the next x amount of years after the upper classman has moved on. So rule of thumb has become not to play close with a young pup. Gotta dominate him.

5 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

No, I wrote it as it usually happens in my experience. When I grew up seniority was king, but what I noticed lately was if two kids are battling for a position and its close the underclassmen usually wins because the coach has him for longer. Maybe it's just a private school thing because younger athletes can and will transfer and come back to kill you for the next x amount of years after the upper classman has moved on. So rule of thumb has become not to play close with a young pup. Gotta dominate him.

I think that's indeed the case in college or the pros. Definitely not in high school, at least not with the old school coaches like Bill Castle haha

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Guru said:

Last season was the first year that they had two JV teams so it will be interesting to see if they develop more line depth as a result.

Gonna need it.

It's going to be hard to replicate that O line from last year, that's for sure.   Dumervil was a freak.   That kid just had unreal strength.