Wk5 of lock-down takes us back to 1998

sausmann9

Friday night is a very Mater Dei kind of evening

Kickoff tonight 5pm EST. 

1998 Mater Dei CA v De La Salle CA in a week 3 matchup of 2-0 teams.  MD has one of my fav players of all time in Matt Grootagoed 

Kickoff tonight 9pm EST

1998 Mater Dei CA v Long Beach Poly CA in a week 14 match up.  Damn this was another good one filled with a ton of talent.

Saturday/Sunday is one of those South GA kind of weekends - you know that team about 45 minutes south of Colquitt Co, i think they got a new coach or something like that;

Kickoff Saturday 5pm EST

1998 Valdosta GA v Columbia Co FL - week 3 match up and a pretty good one at that.

Kickoff Saturday 9pm EST

1998 Valdosta GA v Colquitt Co GA - week 6 slug-fest, one of my favorite games!

Kickoff Sunday sometime after noon

1998 Valdosta GA v McEachern GA - GA big boys state title game bangin' heads!  Fun game to be at!

Anyone been in any of these, went to them,  etc...  This lock down is making me crazy but thank God for high school football!!

• Like 6

1998 featured a really good game between Lakeland and STA. It was the third round of the playoffs. Lakeland traveled down to Ft. Lauderdale and won a shootout, 31-27 at STA. Still hoping @The Guru or @954gator can track down some video for that game, as I've never seen any of it. Lakeland went on the next week and performed the ultimate choke job (with help from the officials, of course) and lost at home to nobody Estero, who went on to lose in the state title game to Osceola.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

1998 featured a really good game between Lakeland and STA. It was the third round of the playoffs. Lakeland traveled down to Ft. Lauderdale and won a shootout, 31-27 at STA. Still hoping @The Guru or @954gator can track down some video for that game, as I've never seen any of it. Lakeland went on the next week and performed the ultimate choke job (with help from the officials, of course) and lost at home to nobody Estero, who went on to lose in the state title game to Osceola.

I asked around about the 1997 and 1998 Lakeland games and will have them uploaded once they can be located in the deep dark recesses of a broom closet somewhere.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Kickoff tonight 5pm EST. 

1998 Mater Dei CA v De La Salle CA in a week 3 matchup of 2-0 teams.  MD has one of my fav players of all time in Matt Grootagoed 

Kickoff tonight 9pm EST

1998 Mater Dei CA v Long Beach Poly CA in a week 14 match up.  Damn this was another good one filled with a ton of talent.

Saturday/Sunday is one of those South GA kind of weekends - you know that team about 45 minutes south of Colquitt Co, i think they got a new coach or something like that;

Kickoff Saturday 5pm EST

1998 Valdosta GA v Columbia Co FL - week 3 match up and a pretty good one at that.

Kickoff Saturday 9pm EST

1998 Valdosta GA v McEachern GA - GA big boys state title game bangin' heads!  Fun game to be at!

Anyone been in any of these, went to them,  etc...  This lock down is making me crazy but thank God for high school football!!

Where these games at?

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Where these games at?

At my house on my TV :)  if you are in the area of Bethlehem PA and would like to stop by and watch one, feel free.  Just PM that you are coming and for which game and there will be a seat for you.  I only allow three over at a time during quarantine time.  (you gotta bring your own drink tho, eats are on the grill today - Salmon River grilled salmon!)

Or you can PM me and I will burn a copy for you, lol and send it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

sounds like a great game, one I didn't see either.  some of my fav games are between those two schools.

I'm still trying to figure out which game; STA v Lakeland or John Tyler TX v Plano East TX, had the greatest ending of all time!  Anyone see both of those games and have an idea???  tx.

tx Guru if you find it and post it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sausmann9 said:

At my house on my TV :)  if you are in the area of Bethlehem PA and would like to stop by and watch one, feel free.  Just PM that you are coming and for which game and there will be a seat for you.  I only allow three over at a time during quarantine time.  (you gotta bring your own drink tho, eats are on the grill today - Salmon River grilled salmon!)

Or you can PM me and I will burn a copy for you, lol and send it.

Hmm I would be interested in that 1998 Valdosta vs Columbia game 

4 hours ago, The Guru said:

I asked around about the 1997 and 1998 Lakeland games and will have them uploaded once they can be located in the deep dark recesses of a broom closet somewhere.

Great! What an incredible contribution to mankind that will be! Will they be on the main Aquinas youtube channel?

While you're at it, might as well take down the 2008 game. It is generally unhealthy for viewers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sausmann9 said:

sounds like a great game, one I didn't see either.  some of my fav games are between those two schools.

I'm still trying to figure out which game; STA v Lakeland or John Tyler TX v Plano East TX, had the greatest ending of all time!  Anyone see both of those games and have an idea???  tx.

tx Guru if you find it and post it

Both of those games had insane endings! The first three quarters of Lakeland-STA that year were a snooze-fest though. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, sausmann9 said:

Kickoff tonight 5pm EST. 

Kickoff tonight 9pm EST

Kickoff Saturday 5pm EST

Kickoff Saturday 9pm EST

I doubt there will be much football this year, but West Monroe had one of their best teams ever in 1998. Some argue the best ever in Louisiana. They did execute at a high level.

1998 Final USA Today Poll
1. De La Salle, Concord, Calif. (12-0)
2. Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (13-1)
3. Evangel Christian, Shreveport, La. (15-0)
4. Northwestern, Miami (15-0)
5. Poly, Long Beach, Calif. (13-1)
6. Richmond County, Rockingham, N.C. (16-0)
7. Central Bucks West, Doylestown, Pa. (15-0)
8. West Monroe, La. (15-0)
9. Bergen Catholic, Oradell, N.J. (12-0)
10. Lee, Midland, Texas (14-1)
11. Blount, Prichard, Ala. (13-0)
12. Valdosta, Ga. (14-1)
13. DeMatha, Hyattsville, Md. (12-0)
14. Mount Carmel, Chicago (14-0)
15. Catholic Central, Redford, Mich. (12-0)
16. Warrenville South, Wheaton, Ill. (14-0)
17. McKinley, Canton, Ohio (12-1)
18. Harrison, Farmington Hills, Mich. (13-0)
19. Highlands, Fort Thomas, Ky. (15-0)
20. South, Bloomington, Ind. (14-0)
21. Summerville, S.C. (15-0)
22. St. Louis, Honolulu (13-1)
23. J.A. Fair, Little Rock (14-0)
24. Desert Vista, Tempe, Arizona (14-0)
25. Xaverian, Westwood, Mass. (10-0)

That 1998 team had 6 LSU commits including Andrew Whitworth and Bradie James....25 total D1s spread out in 3 classes.

1998 5A State Champ Game between West Monroe/Ruston

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I doubt there will be much football this year, but West Monroe had one of their best teams ever in 1998. Some argue the best ever in Louisiana. They did execute at a high level.

12. Valdosta, Ga. (14-1)

That 1998 team had 6 LSU commits including Andrew Whitworth and Bradie James....25 total D1s spread out in 3 classes.

Evangel was loaded in 1998 as well. Too bad the two did not play that year.

Evangel was a passing machine while West Monroe was ground and pound basically.

9 minutes ago, RedZone said:

12. Valdosta, Ga. (14-1)

C.I.F. Champs. Poly & Los Al were the shit too. That was fun. I hate De La Salle btw. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

12. Valdosta, Ga. (14-1)

Nice, thanks for posting.  I'll need something to do  Monday night!  Hey I have the 99' WMRebs scheduled for next weekend against ECA.  I heard that was a pretty good one too, lol.  🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Exocet 98 said:

Back in 2013 I watched Mission Viejo beat Don Bosco Prep 28 - 25 in OT. The Ironmen were tough. It was a good game.

Totally respect MV..didn't something fishy happen towards the end of regulation or OT? Not meant for the excuse thread..my nephew played in that game and family from NJ met with family from San Diego for a great time..I just remember a bad spot or missed call...again curious as my memory is failing 😂 MV was a well coached tough opponent!

Also they played a home and home..not sure if that was the second game...where Previgen when I need it!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Totally respect MV..didn't something fishy happen towards the end of regulation or OT? Not meant for the excuse thread..my nephew played in that game and family from NJ met with family from San Diego for a great time..I just remember a bad spot or missed call...again curious as my memory is failing 😂 MV was a well coached tough opponent!

Also they played a home and home..not sure if that was the second game...where Previgen when I need it!!!

MV kicks a FG with 7 seconds left in regulation to send it to OT. In OT DBP scores on a FG on their possession. MV attempts a tying FG, a bad snap results in the holder completing a pass for a 1st down. The Ironmen were reeling in disbelief. Next play MV's RB Alex Suchesh sweeps the left side for a 11 yard walk off TD for the victory. I rank this 2nd only to the 2015 SBG shutout win in the rain and above the back to back wins against a Lad coached DLS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Exocet 98 said:

MV kicks a FG with 7 seconds left in regulation to send it to OT. In OT DBP scores on a FG on their possession. MV attempts a tying FG, a bad snap results in the holder completing a pass for a 1st down. The Ironmen were reeling in disbelief. Next play MV's RB Alex Suchesh sweeps the left side for a 11 yard walk off TD for the victory. I rank this 2nd only to the 2015 SBG shutout win in the rain and above the back to back wins against a Lad coached DLS.

That's right...the controvesy was whether or not the holder's knee was on the ground nullifying the play. Great game regardless...At DBP was a different story (35-7) 😏

Thanks brother😎

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedZone said:

12. Valdosta, Ga. (14-1)

CBW was ranked one spot higher than West Monroe in 1998.

I watched some of this game last night and concluded that Ruston would beat New Castle. lol

Ruston had some major ATHs and were coached pretty well.

West Monroe and CBW may have been a good game, I don't know.

CBW's offense was pretty simple too.......

• Like 1