Is Referring to Someone as a "Redskin" racist?

RedZone

I will give you a Jamaican perspective. In my home country almost everyone has a nickname. Many are descriptive of your complexion: Whitey, Redman, Blacka, Chinna, Indian, Copper, Rosey Bob, Brown Man, etc., are common nicknames which obviously have at least a complexion, if not, racial tinge. However, Jamaica, despite its slave past, is not as racially charged as the USA is. This is not to say that some Jamaicans are not racist, far from the case. Every country has racists. But you typically don't experience overt racism in your day to day experience there.

In the above sense, Jamaica differs significantly from the USA. So there, people don't take offense to the above referenced nicknames unless the person uttering the name does so in an obviously disrespectful way. In America, referring to an individual as Redskin probably has a totally different effect on the individual than it would to his Jamaican counterpart. Perhaps one day, the USA will get to the point where it may be okay to use such names. We are not there yet. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I will give you a Jamaican perspective. In my home country almost everyone has a nickname. Many are descriptive of your complexion: Whitey, Redman, Blacka, Chinna, Indian, Copper, Rosey Bob, Brown Man, etc., are common nicknames which obviously have at least a complexion, if not, racial tinge. However, Jamaica, despite its slave past, is not as racially charged as the USA is. This is not to say that some Jamaicans are not racist, far from the case. Every country has racists. But you typically don't experience overt racism in your day to day experience there.

In the above sense, Jamaica differs significantly from the USA. So there, people don't take offense to the above referenced nicknames unless the person uttering the name does so in an obviously disrespectful way. In America, referring to an individual as Redskin probably has a totally different effect on the individual than it would to his Jamaican counterpart. Perhaps one day, the USA will get to the point where it may be okay to use such names. We are not there yet. 

There is ONE among us that refers to his girlfriend (supposedly) as "Redskin" and has done so for 4 or 5 years now here. Redskin this and Redskin that......."My Redskin"

Why can't it be my girlfriend, my girl, my old lady, my love, insert whatever you like?

Why does it have to be "Redskin"?

15 minutes ago, RedZone said:

There is ONE among us that refers to his girlfriend (supposedly) as "Redskin" and has done so for 4 or 5 years now here. Redskin this and Redskin that......."My Redskin"

Why can't it be my girlfirend, My old lady, my love, insert whatever you like?

Is it a power play or something?

I think it sucks personally.

NO Native Indian Woman/Man wants to be referred to as a Redskin....it's NOT even funny really.

AND, this guy leads the radical racial troop here...

19 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Why can't it be my girlfriend, my girl, my old lady, my love, insert whatever you like?

I don't know who you are referring to, but it could be that the person uses it because he has serious unaddressed issues. Certainly, if you are in a loving, caring relationship with another person, you treat them with respect, particularly in public. If you don't care for someone, it also speaks volumes about you if you have a long term (four or five year) relationship with them. 

23 minutes ago, RedZone said:

NO Native Indian Woman/Man wants to be referred to as a Redskin....it's NOT even funny really.

You might wanna back off on this topic... maybe just delete those posts.

Pretty much screams "indictment".

Then get some sensitivity training.

You're very fucking welcome,

bgw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You might wanna back off on this topic... maybe just delete those posts.

Pretty much screams "indictment".

Then get some sensitivity training.

You're very fucking welcome,

bgw

If you don't like the thread bail out.

It's just that fucking easy.

RDZ

22 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Just the other day....... TIMES 4 or 5 years worth of "Redskin"

I suspect he does...

China Racism thread to boot..

bandicam 2020-04-23 09-44-55-742.jpg

I have heard from reliable sources that DD was the person that you made the racist reference to in the past. I have no idea what led to you using the N word against him. However,  I have not seen him attack you (publicly), since I started posting again. 

Maybe it may be best to leave this alone. If she allows him to call her Redskin, then regardless of how we may view it, it is probably on her. Now if he does this behind her back, I find it troubling. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Ignorant fuck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Idk is calling a military vet a N***** racist? Probably not in your books

Calling someone a nigger in a derogatory fashion is a horrible choice of words, and should not be used against anyone, whether they were in the miliatry or not. Calling the McDonalds employee, or salvage yard collector, or financial advisor, or military vet a nigger is equally as appalling. You had better be ready to take the heat and back it up when using the word, as it implies that someone is useless and not respected. Not unlike calling someone a fucking pussy ass cunt, which is despicable as well.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I have heard from reliable sources that DD was the person that you made the racist reference to in the past

I DID (I have never denied it) and I did it to get him off my damn back (hasn't bothered me since)...had enough of him simple as that. Called me every name and others he could find in the  "racist dictionary". 

When he first started posting on the forum/s he turned it into a racial pity party......at that time no one knew what anyone's race/color was or even cared. He still does it TODAY, but he thinks "Redskin" is cute/funny. It's NOT, it wasn't 5 years ago.

That's the truth.

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

I DID (I have never denied it) and I did it to get him off my damn back (hasn't bothered me since)...had enough of him simple as that. Called me every name and others he could find in the  "racist dictionary". 

When he first started posting on the forum/s he turned it into a racial pity party......at that time no one knew what anyone's race/color was or even cared. He still does it TODAY, but he thinks "Redskin" is cute/funny. It's NOT, it wasn't 5 years ago.

That's the truth.

@Cossacks your not allowed to refer to  your wife as “tits” anymore 

some people feel some type of way

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

again this dumb fuck replys to himself

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

again this dumb fuck replys to himself

I normally don’t comment in threads like this, though I often read them with a mixture of bemusement, curiosity, and trepidation.  

In this case, from what I can glean, the standard now appears to be that you can use what is probably the most racially charged and offensive word in American history whenever you want, “becuz reasons”.

Which is going kick the spice level on this side of the board up to a 3,000,000 on the Scoville scale!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1