National HSFB COVID Policy Roundup

eaglesinsider

20 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

What. An. Asshole. (@aotus45) | Twitter

@eaglesinsider has been compiling this information for about one month now. Donating his time and effort with hardly any thanks on this thread. I merely suggested that he take it easy and not stress about some of the non power states. 

I skim through this site because I have a passion for elite HSFB. And isn’t that the purpose of this site? To talk about the great HSFB programs out there such as STA, Gorman, SJB, Duncanville, etc. I’m brief because I don’t like to spend too much time here. There is a lot of nonsense and arguing on this board that I don’t want to get involved in. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

@eaglesinsider has been compiling this information for about one month now. Donating his time and effort with hardly any thanks on this thread. I merely suggested that he take it easy and not stress about some of the non power states. 

I skim through this site because I have a passion for elite HSFB. And isn’t that the purpose of this site? To talk about the great HSFB programs out there such as STA, Gorman, SJB, Duncanville, etc. I’m brief because I don’t like to spend too much time here. There is a lot of nonsense and arguing on this board that I don’t want to get involved in. 

That was my initial goal as well. Then I got sucked into the OT thread nonsense. Don't let that happen to you. There's a lot of great high school football threads on here worthy of discussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not really. Seems the only thing to discuss is what's not happening. Sad times. 

Alabama starts football this weekend, which is pretty interesting. Probably going to follow the Hoover-Dothan game. It also would have been the start of the GHSA season initially.

3 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Appreciate it. Honestly only takes me 5-10 mins in the evening to compile everything. Map is another 5 mins every Friday. I feel like it's important to keep up with all the states because you can see patterns and also because so many of the states playing football as normal this year are non-power states.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty low-key job and a fair amount of free time so I really don't mind a side project or two. It helps keep me sane in this new world we find ourselves in. I've compiled the HSFB schedules for every team in MD for years now because no one else will do it. Every year since 2013 or so I've had the only comprehensive list of games in MD. It's gotten to the point where I've fallen into helping teams fill schedules and providing my master schedule to official organizations. It feels weird to not be chasing down schedules for fly-by-night home school programs, prison schools and shady start-ups this time of year so I guess this COVID Roundup is an ok replacement.

• Thanks 5
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, eaglesinsider said:

Also the 8/21 game between Warren Central and Center Grove, two IN teams, has been cancelled due to "multiple positive tests."

Another top Indiana team also had to cancel their opener:

https://fox59.com/news/coronavirus/new-palestine-high-forced-to-cancel-football-game-with-too-many-player-in-quarantine/

• Thanks 1

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/17/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (15)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Full go on normal start date but shortened regular season (2)- IA, OH
Staggered Start Date (1)- TX (1A-4A on time; 5A-6A delayed 4 weeks)
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 2 Weeks (4)- GA, KY, MS, PA
Delayed 3 Weeks (4)- CT, FL, MA, WI
Delayed 4 Weeks (4)- ME, NH, NJ, NY
Delayed 6 Weeks (3)- AZ, LA, SC
Delayed until spring (16)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Yet to make a decision (1)- RI

Major Non-State Private School Associations:

Full go on normal start date (2)- AISA, MAIS
Delayed 1 Week (1)- SCISA
Delayed 2 Weeks (1)- GISA
Delayed 3 Weeks (1)- TAPPS
Delayed 4 Weeks (1)- NCISAA
Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (2)- NEPSAC, VISAA
Delayed until Spring (2)- MIAA, WCAC

Yet to make a decision (1)- SSAC

Monday night update: 
- No changes today but we should get decisions from CT, PA and potentially OH this week

• Thanks 1

A non-encouraging sign from my friends in Italy. The Italian government has closed nightclubs and is requiring face masks to be worn from 6 PM to 6 AM due to an uptick in COVID cases directly related to nightclubs, bars, etc... Italy's "uptick" is going from about 200 to about 400 cases daily nationwide. To put that in American terms their uptick that is a serious cause for concern is about 10% of the daily cases of a good day in Florida alone despite Italy having 2.5x the population.

The Italian government has also yet to decide if they will permit the Italian youth American football season to proceed as scheduled. Right now the first date of practice for U14/U17/U20 (roughly analogous to MS/JV/Varsity) is set for September 1st.

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/18/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (15)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 3 Weeks (4)- CT, FL, MA, WI
Delayed until spring (16)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (2)- NEPSAC, VISAA

Tuesday night update: 
- Ohio's governor gave them the go ahead to start fall sports today

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/19/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 3 Weeks (3)- CT, FL, WI
Delayed until spring (17)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Wednesday night update: 
- Massachusetts officially moved to the spring today
- Decisions on fall or spring are expected from PA and maybe CT by Friday

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/20/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed until spring (17)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Thursday night update: 
- No changes today
- Decisions on fall or spring are expected from PA and maybe CT by tomorrow

21 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/20/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV

Thursday night update: 
- No changes today
- Decisions on fall or spring are expected from PA and maybe CT by tomorrow

PA!!!! 

337826AE-2443-4868-9278-BA70A7421699.jpeg

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/21/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed until spring (18)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, RI, VA, VT, WA

Delayed 3 Weeks (2)- SSAC, TAPPS

Friday night update: 
- PA will play this fall after a 25-5 vote in favor, going against the governor's recommendation. There will be no fans in the stands.
- CT and now ME are still debating fall vs. spring

- RI has tentatively moved to the spring unless conditions change by 9/14

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/24/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed until spring (18)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, RI, VA, VT, WA

Delayed until Spring (3)- MIAA, WCAC, PCL

Monday night update: 
- Philly Catholic League has moved to the spring, SJP considering going indy to play this fall
- CT and now ME are still debating fall vs. spring

• Thanks 2

NY football teams still only authorized to practice, not to play games:

https://www.wcax.com/2020/08/24/limited-ny-high-school-sports-get-greenlight-from-cuomo/

Rules for Vermont's 7 on 7 football season:

GAME PLAY

The skill position players will play the second and fourth quarters of the game, while the linemen will compete in quarters one and three. There was talk about linemen playing their own separate game, instead the two groups have been assigned their own portion of the game to participate.

There will be four 15-minute quarters, with a running clock. Only pass plays are allowed.

Defenders are not allowed to rush the quarterback, who will have four seconds to throw a pass. An official timekeeper will keep track of the qb clock. If a pass is not attempted within the four second window, the official will not blow the play dead. Instead, they will wait for the completion of the play, and then bring the ball back to the original line of scrimmage, and the offense will lose a down.

A player is legally down when touched with one or both hands by a defender. Incidental contact does not count.

Fumbles are considered dead balls, with the team who possessed the ball at the time of the fumble regaining possession.

Interceptions, on the other hand, are a live ball.

To help promote skill development, kickoffs at the start of each half, as well as after a score, are allowed. There will be no return, however, and regardless of where the ball lands, the offense will start their drive at their 30 yard line.

Field goals and PAT's are also allowed. The defense is not allowed to rush the kicker or return a missed kick. A missed kick will result in a dead ball with the defense taking over at the point of the kick.

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/stories/no-2020-hs-football-postseason-in-vermont,612006

• Thanks 2

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/25/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV

Tuesday night update: 
- No changes today, I imagine most changes going forward will happen at the local and regional level and not at the state level.
- CT and ME are still debating fall vs. spring

•  

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/26/20

State Associations:

Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV

Wednesday night update: 
- No state level changes today but Long Island schools will not play football this fall
- CT and ME are still debating fall vs. spring

38 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

I think all the large schools in the VISAA have postponed their season by now, but a few of the smaller schools are planning to play:

https://fredericksburg.com/sports/high-school/private-schools-st-michael-fredericksburg-christian-plan-to-play-football-this-fall/article_5aa80742-b051-59b3-af58-73d119438b14.html

Looks like from their schedules St. John's Catholic Prep will be playing this fall as well. That's the only MD school 100% playing. They're an MIAA independent after the MIAA axed the C Conference