National HSFB COVID Policy Roundup

eaglesinsider

Been doing this for a few days on the MD board but figure it's relevant here as well. I try to update nightly.

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/22/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (14)- AL, AR, CT, FL, IA, ID, MA, MI, ND, NE, OH, PA, SD, UT
Staggered Start Date (1)- TX (1A-4A on time; 5A-6A delayed 4 weeks)
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 2 Weeks (2)- GA, MS
Delayed 3 Weeks (1)- SC
Delayed 4 Weeks (4)- NJ, NY, OR, TN
Delayed until a date TBD (1)- AZ
Delayed until spring (5)- CA, DC, NM, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (22)- AK, CO, DE, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NV, NH, NC, OK, RI, VT, WI, WY

Major Non-State Private School Associations:

Full go on normal start date (1)- MAIS
Delayed 1 Week (1)- SCISA
Delayed 2 Weeks (2)- GISA, NCISAA
Delayed 4 Weeks (2)- MIAA, TAPPS

Yet to make a decision (4)- AISA, WCAC, SSAC, VISAA

Wednesday night update: Alabama and South Dakota have decided to start on time. Oregon will start practice on time but will delay games by 4 weeks. Tennessee plans to play this fall with a delay of at least 4 weeks and a schedule of no more than 8 games. Two small Maryland private school leagues (IAC/MAC) have shifted their seasons to the spring. SCISA has announced a 1 week delay to the start of practice.

Note: Not all schools/counties will follow the plans laid out by their state association.

• Thanks 6

14 hours ago, MA Fan said:

MA is delaying start date (of practice) to September 14. Still need state approval as football and soccer games are not allowed right now.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07/21/miaa-kicks-can-down-road-on-fall-sports/

Thanks. I'm using the MaxPreps round up to make this list so I'm sure there's a correction or two that needs to be made.

5 hours ago, Cossacks said:

😂 might be the understatement of the year. Isn’t Maxpreps synonymous with corrections?

Yes but I'm not googling news on 50 different state associations every night to get updates. I'll compile the info and make it 90% correct and then you slapdicks can tell me when I'm wrong. Right now MaxPreps says WV isn't starting practice until September 8th when they're allowed to play games starting on 9/4. I've already been corrected on OH and MA too.

• Haha 4

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/23/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (12)- AL, AR, CT, IA, ID, MI, ND, NE, OK, PA, SD, UT
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 3 Weeks (2)- MA, SC
Delayed 4 Weeks (5)- FL, NJ, NY, OR, TN
Delayed until spring (6)- CA, DC, NM, NV, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (21)- AK, CO, DE, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, NC, OH, RI, VT, WI, WY

Full go on normal start date (2)- AISA, MAIS

Yet to make a decision (3)- WCAC, SSAC, VISAA

Thursday night update: Florida has reversed course on allowing football to start on time less than 72 hours after making that decision. They will now start practice on August 24th at the earliest and will meet sometime in the preceeding week to evaluate if further delays are necessary. Nevada has moved football to the spring. Oklahoma will start on time. The AL private school league (AISA) will follow the public schools in the state and start on time and play full seasons.

Note: Not all schools/counties will follow the plans laid out by their state association.

•  
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't you know it but the MaxPreps map is already very wrong. There have been no formal announcements from many of their "starting on time" states. Only 12 states have come out and said they're playing a normal fall schedule. The others are just baseless speculation. IA, 1 of those 12 just announced that they have cut their regular season to 7 games. VT definitely hasn't announced a spring season.

They have TN as starting on time. The earliest TN can start PRACTICE is a week after their first games were scheduled to be played. Did the guy who made this map not even look at MaxPreps own article about it?

Also, you have all the colors in the world to pick from, why make a map with varying and subtly differentiated shades of green? Someone hate color blind people or something? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Wouldn't you know it but the MaxPreps map is already very wrong. There have been no formal announcements from many of their "starting on time" states. Only 12 states have come out and said they're playing a normal fall schedule. The others are just baseless speculation. IA, 1 of those 12 just announced that they have cut their regular season to 7 games. VT definitely hasn't announced a spring season.

They have TN as starting on time. The earliest TN can start PRACTICE is a week after their first games were scheduled to be played. Did the guy who made this map not even look at MaxPreps own article about it?

Also, you have all the colors in the world to pick from, why make a map with varying and subtly differentiated shades of green? Someone hate color blind people or something? 

Yes I  personally know somebody in Tennessee they are on a 4 week delay.

Mississippi per al.com is on a 2 week delay. Your info is correct maxpreps is drunk.

19 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Yes but I'm not googling news on 50 different state associations every night to get updates. I'll compile the info and make it 90% correct and then you slapdicks can tell me when I'm wrong. Right now MaxPreps says WV isn't starting practice until September 8th when they're allowed to play games starting on 9/4. I've already been corrected on OH and MA too.

Hey I resemble that comment. 😂

• Haha 2

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/24/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (11)- AL, AR, CT, ID, MI, ND, NE, OK, PA, SD, UT
Full go on normal start date but shortened regular season (1)- IA
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 3 Weeks (2)- MA, SC
Delayed 4 Weeks (6)- FL, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TN

Yet to make a decision (20)- AK, CO, DE, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, OH, RI, VT, WI, WY

Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (1)- VISAA

Yet to make a decision (2)- WCAC, SSAC

Friday night update: Iowa will still start practice on time but has shortened their regular season from 9 games to 7, with the first date of play being the same. Schools will only be required to schedule 5 games over those 7 weeks. All teams will make an expanded postseason this year. The VISAA (VA private school league) will cancel all fall championships but allow its members to make their own decisions about if they wish to compete or not. The Anchorage school district in AK has postponed the start of practice for their schools by a week but there has yet to be a decision about start date by the AK state governing body. AK really can't delay their season more than a week or so or play in the spring due to the weather so they either go now or don't play until fall '21.

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/27/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (11)- AL, AR, CT, ID, MI, ND, NE, OK, PA, SD, UT
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 2 Weeks (3)- GA, HI, MS
Delayed 3 Weeks (3)- MA, SC, WI
Delayed until a date TBD (3)- KS, KY (8/2), AZ

Yet to make a decision (16)- AK, CO, DE (8/13), IL, IN, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, OH (8/4), RI, VT, WY

Delayed 3 Weeks (1)- TAPPS
Delayed 4 Weeks (1)- MIAA
Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (1)- VISAA
Delayed until Spring (1)- WCAC

Yet to make a decision (1)- SSAC

Monday night update: 
- Practice began today in Alabama, with two counties choosing not to play football this fall. 
- TAPPS has pushed their original 4 week delay back to a 3 week delay after the UIL's announcement of a staggered start. 
- The WCAC has moved football to the spring. 
- Alaska has been rumored to be delaying their season a week but nothing official yet. 
- Connecticut, who is scheduled to start on time, has now said the season will likely be pushed back, but with no decision coming until August 3rd. 
- Delaware, one of the states with the latest start to practice, will not make a decision on fall athletics until August 13th. 
- Hawaii has announced at least two-week delay until August 19th. 
- Indiana expects to be able to play on time but hasn't made a final decision yet. 
- Kansas has delayed the start of practice indefinitely after the Governor decided to keep schools closed through labor day. 
- Kentucky will keep sports in the fall but will not make a decision on how long it will be delayed until August 2nd.
- Ohio will make a decision about the season on or around 8/4.
- Pennsylvania will have meetings tomorrow and Wednesday to reconsider their decision to start the season on time.
- Virginia will play in the spring with a 9-week season in March and April.
- Wisconsin will delay the start of football season by 3 weeks
- Wyoming has not made a decision but has 7 different plans involving fall sports

• Thanks 2

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/28/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (12)- AL, AR, CT, ID, MI, ND, NE, OK, PA, SD, UT, WY
Delayed 1 Week (1)- WV
Delayed 2 Weeks (4)- GA, HI, KY, MS
Delayed until a date TBD (2)- KS, AZ

Yet to make a decision (15)- AK, CO, DE (8/13), IL, IN, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, OH (8/4), RI, VT

Tuesday night update: 
- Kentucky announced plans to start football with a two week delay

- Wyoming announced that the football season would begin on time

- Alaska is scheduled to begin practice tomorrow, except in Anchorage where practices have been postponed for a week at least

- PA will 100% be playing football this fall as their sports medicine committee voted unanimously to start on time

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/29/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (14)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Staggered Start Date (2)- TX (1A-4A on time; 5A-6A delayed 4 weeks), PA (regionally dependent)
Delayed 1 Week (2)- MI, WV
Delayed 4 Weeks (5)- FL, NC, NJ, NY, OR
Delayed until spring (7)- CA, DC, IL, NM, NV, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (13)- CO (7/31), CT (8/3), DE (8/13), LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, OH (8/4), RI, VT

Wednesday night update: 

- Kansas has reversed course (again) and will now start on time
- Alaska became the second state to begin practice today everywhere except in Anchorage, that area will not start practice until August 5th at the earliest
- Tennessee has un-delayed their season and now will begin on time
- Illinois has moved football to the spring
- Ohio plans to start practices on time but has forbid all scrimmages until further notice
- Florida has 3 plans: August 24th start with 7-game regular season and playoffs kept the same, start season "at some point" and play regular season games until November 23rd and start practice in late November and play a 5-week regular season in December and January with playoffs running through February 15th
- Colorado will make a decision on football before August 1st
- Indiana will start football on time
- Michigan, who was orignally supposed to start on time, will delay the start of practice by a week and cancel all scrimmages
- Pennsylvania will offer three different start dates and not allow fans at any games this season

MaxPreps claims in the article below that 29 states plan to kickoff football season on time, which is an abject lie no matter how you spin it. Even if you count Texas and PA with their staggered start dates as starting "on time" you end up with half that number.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/tLwsNY8H7k6IRM7K1Z1yJQ/illinois-becomes-sixth-state-to-move-high-school-football-to-the-spring.htm

They're rolling in states that haven't made decisions yet as "starting on time" which is incredibly misleading when that includes states like MD where every major school district has announced they'll be online only thru at least January and the 2 largest counties by population have cancelled fall and winter sports outright.

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 7/30/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (14)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Staggered Start Date (2)- TX (1A-4A on time; 5A-6A delayed 4 weeks), PA (regionally dependent)
Delayed 1 Week (2)- MI, WV
Delayed 4 Weeks (5)- FL, NC, NJ, NY, OR
Delayed until spring (7)- CA, DC, IL, NM, NV, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (13)- CO (7/31), CT (8/3), DE (8/13), LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NH, OH (8/4), RI, VT

Thursday night update: 

- No changes today, which is a major change of pace so time for some informed speculation for the undecided states:
- States I think will move to Spring: CO, LA, MD
- States I think will delay Season: CT, ME, MN, MO, NH, OH, RI, VT
- States I think will play on time: DE, MT

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

States I think will move to Spring: CO, LA, MD

Yeah, for the Bayou.....I think so.

We are still in Phase 1 1/2.......2 officially. Need to get to Phase 3 to even think about having a season.

Phase 4 to actually try to play some games.

Is what it is...