Second best Nebraska team ever?

ChimpGrip

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Obviously 1995 is the overwhelming top team in NU history. 

Who’s #2? One of the early 70’s teams? The '94 Team? How about '97? 2009 wasn’t a great team but they were a good offense away from likely going unbeaten, blowing out Texas in the B12 title game and playing Bama for the NC. 

Definitely one of the 70s squads.

97 they had a LOT of luck (Kickball game vs Mizzou anyone?)

2009?  They got blown out by Texas Tech and lost to Iowa State...Stop.

The 83-84 team that missed out on the natty when Osborne refused to accept the tie; Heisman Trophy winner in the backfield with a long-time NFL standout catching passes and another 15 guys who played NFL ball (and a handful of others that played USFL/CFL ball). Hung 50+ in six games and only fell to a damn good Miami team in the Orange Bowl.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Definitely one of the 70s squads.

97 they had a LOT of luck (Kickball game vs Mizzou anyone?)

2009?  They got blown out by Texas Tech and lost to Iowa State...Stop.

Thought that the 2009 team had four really close losses that could be blamed primarily on an overwhelming lack of offense. Watched some of the 2013 Outback Bowl of Nebraska vs Georgia, NU had some good players in that time. Burkhead, Martinez, Abdullah, and others. 

15 hours ago, Wooderson said:

The 83-84 team that missed out on the natty when Osborne refused to accept the tie; Heisman Trophy winner in the backfield with a long-time NFL standout catching passes and another 15 guys who played NFL ball (and a handful of others that played USFL/CFL ball). Hung 50+ in six games and only fell to a damn good Miami team in the Orange Bowl.

Yeah 1983 was a great team. If they beat Miami, do they come close to the 1995 team?

1996 had a good defense but not near the offense of 1983, 1994, '95 and '97. 

15 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Can you blame Osborne on that? Lol 

I certainly understand not wanting to settle for a tie and I would have done the same in his shoes 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Absolutely. The 82 and 83 teams. THE best Nebraska teams. They just had other great teams to contend with and Miami was able to out coach them in the O.B.

Turner Gill, Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuehler, etc etc etc

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wooderson said:

yea, if that was the year they lost to miami . Nebraska imop was much better than Miami, but it was one of those games where they ran out of time coming back

7 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yeah 1983 was a great team. If they beat Miami, do they come close to the 1995 team?

1996 had a good defense but not near the offense of 1983, 1994, '95 and '97. 

Those mid-nineties Nebraska teams hit when I was at an impressionable age (I was 12 when they just missed winning it all against Charlie Ward and FSU in '93 and was 14 when they boat raced the Gators in '95) and as such am partial to the exploits of Tommie Frazier and Co. I'd probably still rate '95 as the top dog but am impressed with the fact that they were as explosive as they were in an era still dominated by ground-based offenses and when the no-huddle wasn't a thing.

Interesting to note that the only defense to really clamp down on the '83 team was Jimmy Johnson's Oklahoma State team, who would take over Miami the next season. There's an alternate universe where Nebraska wins the Orange Bowl, Howard Schnellenberger stays in Coral Gables, and Johnson's entry to the NFL is delayed by a few years. 

9 hours ago, 181pl said:

Absolutely. The 82 and 83 teams. THE best Nebraska teams. They just had other great teams to contend with and Miami was able to out coach them in the O.B.

Turner Gill, Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuehler, etc etc etc

Nebraska had good baseball back then too. They were ranked #12 in the country when we faced them in a series in '83. I'm sure Turner Gill's ears are still ringing from getting plunked by me in the head.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Nebraska had good baseball back then too. They were ranked #12 in the country when we faced them in a series in '83. I'm sure Turner Gill's head is still ringing from getting plunked by me in the head.

Haha! Yes, Ron Fraser had some great teams. This put them in the spotlight for sure during the CWS. Where did you play?