So what happened to Kenny Sanchez?

HooverOutlaw

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I know why , I known for a while, I’m just waiting on @HawgGoneItto give me the okay for a NJ guy to break The Florida News

Sanchez was approached by a parent who was angry about his child’s playing time after Thursday’s game, a 28-3 win over Gainesville Eastside that was Sanchez’s first with the Falcons, and a verbal confrontation ensued between Sanchez, the parent and Patrick Turner, Menendez’s athletic director.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Sanchez was approached by a parent who was angry about his child’s playing time after Thursday’s game, a 28-3 win over Gainesville Eastside that was Sanchez’s first with the Falcons, and a verbal confrontation ensued between Sanchez, the parent and Patrick Turner, Menendez’s athletic director.

He got canned over a verbal confrontation? Eh, that doesn't sound right unless the verb in the verbal sentence was threw and what it was he threw was a punch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

He got canned over a verbal confrontation? Eh, that doesn't sound right unless the verb in the verbal sentence was threw and what it was he threw was a punch. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada-preps/np-football/kenny-sanchez-fired-as-coach-at-florida-school-after-2-games-2124445/amp/?itm_source=parsely-api&__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Sweetlarry said:

What a bitch the parent was. This is why I hate coaching. 

Love teaching. Love the kids. Hate parents!

37 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Parent must have some power probably related to a BOE member.

33 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Or a very weak AD.

Hoover and Coss are both probably accurate here and believe me Larry I could tell you stories of other instances like this, luckily not all of the parents who tried this is the past were successful but it's clear now that Menendez wasn't really serious about becoming a strong program 

Guess St Augustine, Ponte Vedra, Creekside and Bartram Trail will still be the only teams in St John's who are actually good on Regional/State level 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CODBEARD said:

Or maybe they realized he wasn't really a good coach and just needed any excuse to move him on. Coaching ain't so easy when you don't have a seriously stacked deck.. just saying

It ain’t so easy with a stacked deck either. 

Coaching a bunch of HS egos is hard. Include overbearing parents and an administration who is too involved or not involved enough and it can slide downhill quickly! 

• Like 1

No question parents can be ridiculous. And approaching a coach about your child's playing time should not even be allowed (the player should talk to the coach about what can be improved upon in order to see more action on the field). That being said, perhaps in this instance Sanchez lost his cool and dug his own grave. Maybe he exploded at the parent, making it clear he was never to be approached about playing time, and maybe the AD tried to calm him down, and maybe Sanchez had some choice words for the AD in the heat of the moment suggesting he not pipe in either. Who knows?

Yes, parents can be troublesome, and ADs can be weak. And coaches can also behave as though their shit don't stink, which can cost them a job. Part of being a coach and a leader includes the ability to maintain composure, and I'd guess Sanchez didn't do a wonderful job of that in this situation.

I have one family member who had a similar discussion with a parent years ago, and the parent didn't just talk about his son's playing time but also had choice words about the family member's ability to coach in general. Which led to the disgruntled dad being lifted off the ground by his throat. Bad move, and family member agrees he shouldn't have let the dad get to him like that. He wasn't allowed to coach anymore at that school.

2 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

Or maybe they realized he wasn't really a good coach and just needed any excuse to move him on. Coaching ain't so easy when you don't have a seriously stacked deck.. just saying

After 2 games? Firing a coach mid  year hurts your chances next time.  Several Coaches may not apply because of this early firing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

No question parents can be ridiculous. And approaching a coach about your child's playing time should not even be allowed (the player should talk to the coach about what can be improved upon in order to see more action on the field). That being said, perhaps in this instance Sanchez lost his cool and dug his own grave. Maybe he exploded at the parent, making it clear he was never to be approached about playing time, and maybe the AD tried to calm him down, and maybe Sanchez had some choice words for the AD in the heat of the moment suggesting he not pipe in either. Who knows?

Yes, parents can be troublesome, and ADs can be weak. And coaches can also behave as though their shit don't stink, which can cost them a job. Part of being a coach and a leader includes the ability to maintain composure, and I'd guess Sanchez didn't do a wonderful job of that in this situation.

I have one family member who had a similar discussion with a parent years ago, and the parent didn't just talk about his son's playing time but also had choice words about the family member's ability to coach in general. Which led to the disgruntled dad being lifted off the ground by his throat. Bad move, and family member agrees he shouldn't have let the dad get to him like that. He wasn't allowed to coach anymore at that school.

This is one of my favorite things about Marietta’s program. 

At the beginning of the year coaches from K-Varsity y’all to the parents and give them all of their contact info. Call for anything! School issues. Girls issues. Acting up at home. ANYTHING BUT YOUR KIDS PLAYING TIME! 

Your kid knows why he isn’t playing. If they won’t answer to their parents honestly it says a lot about the kid. 

• Like 1

there should be one way or another that a parent can approach a coach to talk about playing time.  I know this is rare but there are fathers out there that would ask a coach what his kid to do to improve playing time such as camps, workouts, nutrition/weight loss or gain, etc...  I know its a fine line but there are some.  And no this conversation wouldn't happen after a game or practice but closed door situation.  jmo

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

there should be one way or another that a parent can approach a coach to talk about playing time.  I know this is rare but there are fathers out there that would ask a coach what his kid to do to improve playing time such as camps, workouts, nutrition/weight loss or gain, etc...  I know its a fine line but there are some.  And no this conversation wouldn't happen after a game or practice but closed door situation.  jmo

I’ve seen first hand how Public school coaches and Private coaches coaches, you get lot more leeway at privates, Sanchez probably thought he   Was still coaching at Bishop Gorman

listen if your son is not good enough to get playing time at Melendez HS than I don’t know what to tell you, transfer to NG and join Band

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

The conversation about a specifc kid's playing time needs to be between the player and coach. It teaches kids to speak for themselves. Questions about camps and nutrition and weights, etc. are legitimate, but not with regard to an individual kid's playing time -- they are important for all to hear and can be addressed to the entire team, booster club, parent letters, etc. A parent asking a coach about playing time in many instances involves a parent more interested in the sport than the kid is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

The conversation about a specifc kid's playing time needs to be between the player and coach. 

well then I guess if you say so then it must be ...

but I guess its a good thing you don't coach b/c I know a few coaches that welcome conversation like this.  see from an educators point of view, its a great teaching moment to have a father along for the conversation.  Dad sometimes holds son accountable to the committments.  

but again, if YOU say otherwise then I guess all those guys w/ 100's of years of combined coaching experience must be wrong, smh

3 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

well then I guess if you say so then it must be ...

but I guess its a good thing you don't coach b/c I know a few coaches that welcome conversation like this.  see from an educators point of view, its a great teaching moment to have a father along for the conversation.  Dad sometimes holds son accountable to the committments.  

but again, if YOU say otherwise then I guess all those guys w/ 100's of years of combined coaching experience must be wrong, smh

Relax, it was just my opinion.

But, if you want to stretch this out and be a dick, I'll come along for the ride:

You posted originally that "there are fathers out there that would ask a coach what his kid to do to improve playing time such as camps, workouts, nutrition/weight loss or gain, etc", which when you think about it is pretty goofy.

"Hey coach, will my son get more playing time next year if he goes to the Villanova football camp in the summer?"

"Yes sir, that camp will get him into our starting lineup for sure!"

"Thanks coach. And are there certain workouts Junior can do, or food he can eat, that will get him that Varsity letter, too?"

"Why of course, if he does plyometrics and eats chicken and eggs, he's guaranteed to be able to wear that letter jacket you bought him."

Keep shaking your head there, sausmann. I think you're on to something.

I don't think Kenny Sanchez is good at handling certain situations. He seems to be a hot head due to past record. Some things just aren't acceptable with certain places, people or bosses. Knowing and understanding the boundaries of the school, people and bosses where you are, are critical to your success there. 

Regardless of playing time questions or what, how you handle the question makes a difference.  The parent could have been irate and totally wrong, but, the coach was the paid professional in the situation. He probably cursed the parent or something along those lines, who then went over the coach's head to the big boss and snitched who then went and got cursed his ownself and squashed the situation then and there. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I don't think Kenny Sanchez is good at handling certain situations. He seems to be a hot head due to past record. Some things just aren't acceptable with certain places, people or bosses. Knowing and understanding the boundaries of the school, people and bosses where you are, are critical to your success there. 

Regardless of playing time questions or what, how you handle the question makes a difference.  The parent could have been irate and totally wrong, but, the coach was the paid professional in the situation. He probably cursed the parent or something along those lines, who then went over the coach's head to the big boss and switched who then went and got cursed his ownself and squashed the situation then and there. 

I'm sure the parent was being a bitch but unfortunately the coach has to show a level of professionalism that the parent doesn't have to follow 

• Like 2