New Polls (2017-08-28)

dntn31

• dntn31 pinned this topic
25 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Compilation of the 5 Major National Polls (MaxprepsXcellent 25, Calpreps, USA Today Expert, PrepNation, HSFBA):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BBQ79ipYeki0BcqY11Q9nw8X7of4qR-1SHrHDyHU2fM/edit?usp=sharing

Curious what everyone thinks about adding in the PrepGridiron weekly reader poll...

I would add in our poll

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Gotta add prepgrid no doubt. I challenge any poll or site to seriously compare the knowledge on here to theirs.  Its not even close.  This place is the mecca of hsfb message boards.  Even with guys like rab holding us down. lol

WELL, I must say that you hurt one a my fellins.........................................JACKASS!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

I think the group involved is serious about a good product. I'm sure they'd all like to hear your constructive feedback so it can be improved. 

I gave you my feedback. There are way too many people on this board who are pro their state. It's so obvious its not funny. I take all these polls with a grain of salt but I really do not think this would be an official poll and should be counted in the comp poll. No disrespect but that is the way I look at it. 

5 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

I gave you my feedback. There are way too many people on this board who are pro their state. It's so obvious its not funny. I take all these polls with a grain of salt but I really do not think this would be an official poll and should be counted in the comp poll. No disrespect but that is the way I look at it. 

So this poll is pretty much like every other poll then. 

In your opinion, what would make this an official poll? Just trying to decide how to compare. Is it time on the market? Amount of readers? Size of market? 

The only way to create a larger market is to create the poll, put it out for the public to see and then have it become a superior product to the others. For instance, the reader's poll was the only poll to have IMG at one, and now Cal Preps has them at one as well. Little things like that lend me to believe the reader poll is likely to be the best this season, and time will tell. There are plenty of homers on here, but they do all temper each other in general. I'd take the football knowledge floating around on this board above all the other sources put together almost. Now whether or not they can all put that knowledge into a working poll for the course of an entire season or decade has yet to be seen. So far, so good though, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

I don't take it as disrespect. I'm not so full of myself to think this poll merits being alongside the others, but if at some point it does, it will need to hold up under criticism from those like yourself and to earn your respect. With that said, I find your statements disjunctive. While people on this board may be bias, nothing in your assessment shows how that bias is manifested in the actual poll. Again, I actually think those that have voted have made a concerted effort to eliminate their bias and actually use their bias to present deeper local knowledge in their respective areas. Anyhow, I'll take your feedback on it's face. 

I would assume all the human run polls are 1 man shows.  Halley for USA Yesterday, DeMoney for Prep Nation,  etc.  Easier to have a bias if you're 1 person vs a group.   10 opinions even w bias imo is a better representation.  The comp poll at the top of page essentially is the forum's poll.  Some folks who follow HS football rank and the pts are tallied.   Once this forum's poll is out this week, let's compare to the comp poll and I would guess there won't be much difference.   Maybe at the back end 3-4 varying teams.  

• Like 4

Another knock on some of the national polls is that you often see them simply slotting teams up after someone loses and drops in the rankings. In other words, if team #4 loses quite often you will see the poll simply move up team #5 to #4 and team #6 to #5, etc. After doing these weekly comp polls for a year now, I've seen quite a lot of this (and some polls tend to do this more often than others, *cough* USA Today *cough*). To me, that seems like a fairly "lazy" way to rank teams, instead of actually evaluating the teams and ranking them based on actual performance.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Nope.... 

Theres only been 1 instance of questionable homerism from GA. 

Someone had Colquitt in the top 25.  And I have a A feeling that I know who it is. 

I feel you do too....  

Other than that. No....  

I rest my case. Thank you.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:10 PM, aZjimbo said:

Well, they ALL need to be totally unbiased like MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!:)