Ohio Playoffs: Regional Rounds

OdbCle

This will be my last ranking heading into the playoffs, and then I'll do a final one after championship weekend.  You might as well considered the top three here more like a 1a, b and c. The overall depth of D1 is better, but there might not be a better final 4 than the one we could see in D2 if all the favorites hold court. D3 is TCC's to lose, but Ursuline has emerged as a legit threat. The big question in D4 will be whether Glenville will have a full roster at its disposal. I have not heard anything about the OHSAA's decision on the eligibility of several players, most notably QB Ruel Tomlinson. Regardless, they should still have more talent that any other team in the D4 landscape. 

1. Massillon (10-0) (#2, beat Canton McKinley 35-0) - The Tiger defense once again ruled the day as they blank their archrival to cap off an undefeated regular season. Capturing their first ever playoff title is the only happy ending to this story. Hoban and Avon will be up to the challenge. vs. Central Crossing on 10/27. 

2. St. Edward (9-1) (#3, beat Hoban 14-7)- St. Edward won the battle with Hoban, but did they lose the D1 war with Bullock appearing to re-injure his knee? His return a few weeks ago was a big surprise and Ed's used him very sparingly in the run game. He was finally green lighted against Moeller last week and appeared to be returning to form against Hoban in the early going, but he couldn't avoid contact against a tenacious Hoban defense. The Eagle defense (which kept Hoban's offense scoreless) is certainly championship caliber, and Brandon White ruining behind the best o-line in the state should still be capable of delivering the three-peat. Thomas Csyani proved he can operate the offense (probably better through the air than Bullock) in the regular season and needs to focus on playing mistake-free football. vs. Elyria on 10/27. 

3. Hoban (8-1) (#1, lost to St. Edward 14-7) - Hoban did not do much to challenge the Ed's defense through the air, choosing instead to grind out yards in the run game behind freshman phenom Brayton Feister.  The were snuffed at the goal line and late in the game and never hit paydirt, their only score coming on a pick six that Ed's threw backed up inside their own 5 yard line. Should the semi-final rematch with Massillon occur (no reason to believe it won't), they will need to avail themselves of all their weapons on offense. vs. Ellet on 10/27. 

4. TCC (10-0) (#4, beat Cass Tech (MI) 48-23) - TCC went up to Ford Field and took care of Cass Tech with little issue. As I've said before, it's a shame they dropped to D3 this year. Even if they run the table convincingly, it may be hard to move them up any further without facing a higher level of competition. They were definitely the second best team in the state last year behind Ed's, and may very well be this year.  We'll just never truly know. vs. Bowling Green on 10/27. 

5. Avon (10-0) (#5, beat Avon Lake 45-0) - After resting some guys against Amherst last week, Avon came out guns blazing against their rival and laid down one of the biggest beatdowns the series has seen. This Avon team has the size and skill to take on Hoban or Massillon. Hopefully we see that happen. vs. St. John's Jesuit on 10/27

6. Gahanna-Lincoln (10-0) (#6, Pick North 35-28 (OT)) - The Golden Lions proved last year was no fluke and that they should be considered the favorites in a deep R3, along with being on the short list of favorites for the D1 title.  vs. Reynoldsburg on 10/27.

7. Pick North (9-1) (#7 lost to Gahanna-Lincoln 35-28 (OT))- Unlike last years blowout loss, nothing to be ashamed of with the performance against GL this year. Fingers crossed they meet up again for the R3 final.  vs. Westerville Central on 10/27.  

8. Moeller (6-4) (#8, beat Detroit King (MI) 38-6) - Even without Jordan Marshall, the Crusaders had no problem with King. Whether they can weather the R4 storm without Marshall is a different question. Hopefully his injury is not long term and he can return sooner than later. In the meantime, it will be up to sophomore QB Matt Ponatoski and a talented receiving corp to pick up the slack.  @ Detroit King (MI) on 10/27.

9. Glenville (7-3) (#9, beat John Marshall 42-7) - Regardless of who's available to play, the Tarblooders should make quick work of most of the D4 field. vs. Bath on 10/27.

10. Princeton (10-0) (others, beat Sycamore 42-7) -  Princeton rejoins the top 10 after having been dropped previously due to a suspect offense. They've scored 35+ the past 4 weeks while still playing top notch defense. The competition was questionable, but it's still a good sign heading into the playoffs. Also, I just can't convince myself that Milford is for real yet.  vs. Middletown on 10/27.

Others: Olentangy Berlin, Olentangy, Milford, Cleveland Heights, Elder, X, Lakota West, Withrow, Youngstown Ursuline, Anderson, Walsh Jesuit, Pick Central, Hilliard Bradley, Mentor, Medina

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, reggid said:

Thanks as always for the great summary and preview, but you should have posted a completely fake/fabricated list with nonsensical info, and then waited until GSB stole it and posted it on his site before swapping it out for the real list.  

Hey, this was my idea. 

• Like 1

🤷‍♂️ I think there are enough comedy writer posters here to do a podcast.  🤔 😊

Thoughts?  Start slow… real slow, but not Navy Seal 30 slow.  😉 

“Welcome @hardhit1, how was the 19th hole earlier”…

@reggid  😳 😂 “F LSU & F Bichigan and F Harbaugh and F Deion!” 

@SeaShells21 pillow reviews 😂 and ratings 

Welcome Red (crickets chirping)  😂 

@HawgGoneIt @dntn31

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

This will be my last ranking heading into the playoffs, and then I'll do a final one after championship weekend.  You might as well considered the top three here more like a 1a, b and c. The overall depth of D1 is better, but there might not be a better final 4 than the one we could see in D2 if all the favorites hold court. D3 is TCC's to lose, but Ursuline has emerged as a legit threat. The big question in D4 will be whether Glenville will have a full roster at its disposal. I have not heard anything about the OHSAA's decision on the eligibility of several players, most notably QB Ruel Tomlinson. Regardless, they should still have more talent that any other team in the D4 landscape. 

1. Massillon (10-0) (#2, beat Canton McKinley 35-0) - The Tiger defense once again ruled the day as they blank their archrival to cap off an undefeated regular season. Capturing their first ever playoff title is the only happy ending to this story. Hoban and Avon will be up to the challenge. vs. Central Crossing on 10/27. 

2. St. Edward (9-1) (#3, beat Hoban 14-7)- St. Edward won the battle with Hoban, but did they lose the D1 war with Bullock appearing to re-injure his knee? His return a few weeks ago was a big surprise and Ed's used him very sparingly in the run game. He was finally green lighted against Moeller last week and appeared to be returning to form against Hoban in the early going, but he couldn't avoid contact against a tenacious Hoban defense. The Eagle defense (which kept Hoban's offense scoreless) is certainly championship caliber, and Brandon White ruining behind the best o-line in the state should still be capable of delivering the three-peat. Thomas Csyani proved he can operate the offense (probably better through the air than Bullock) in the regular season and needs to focus on playing mistake-free football. vs. Elyria on 10/27. 

3. Hoban (8-1) (#1, lost to St. Edward 14-7) - Hoban did not do much to challenge the Ed's defense through the air, choosing instead to grind out yards in the run game behind freshman phenom Brayton Feister.  The were snuffed at the goal line and late in the game and never hit paydirt, their only score coming on a pick six that Ed's threw backed up inside their own 5 yard line. Should the semi-final rematch with Massillon occur (no reason to believe it won't), they will need to avail themselves of all their weapons on offense. vs. Ellet on 10/27. 

4. TCC (10-0) (#4, beat Cass Tech (MI) 48-23) - TCC went up to Ford Field and took care of Cass Tech with little issue. As I've said before, it's a shame they dropped to D3 this year. Even if they run the table convincingly, it may be hard to move them up any further without facing a higher level of competition. They were definitely the second best team in the state last year behind Ed's, and may very well be this year.  We'll just never truly know. vs. Bowling Green on 10/27. 

5. Avon (10-0) (#5, beat Avon Lake 45-0) - After resting some guys against Amherst last week, Avon came out guns blazing against their rival and laid down one of the biggest beatdowns the series has seen. This Avon team has the size and skill to take on Hoban or Massillon. Hopefully we see that happen. vs. St. John's Jesuit on 10/27

6. Gahanna-Lincoln (10-0) (#6, Pick North 35-28 (OT)) - The Golden Lions proved last year was no fluke and that they should be considered the favorites in a deep R3, along with being on the short list of favorites for the D1 title.  vs. Reynoldsburg on 10/27.

7. Pick North (9-1) (#7 lost to Gahanna-Lincoln 35-28 (OT))- Unlike last years blowout loss, nothing to be ashamed of with the performance against GL this year. Fingers crossed they meet up again for the R3 final.  vs. Westerville Central on 10/27.  

8. Moeller (6-4) (#8, beat Detroit King (MI) 38-6) - Even without Jordan Marshall, the Crusaders had no problem with King. Whether they can weather the R4 storm without Marshall is a different question. Hopefully his injury is not long term and he can return sooner than later. In the meantime, it will be up to sophomore QB Matt Ponatoski and a talented receiving corp to pick up the slack.  @ Detroit King (MI) on 10/27.

9. Glenville (7-3) (#9, beat John Marshall 42-7) - Regardless of who's available to play, the Tarblooders should make quick work of most of the D4 field. vs. Bath on 10/27.

10. Princeton (10-0) (others, beat Sycamore 42-7) -  Princeton rejoins the top 10 after having been dropped previously due to a suspect offense. They've scored 35+ the past 4 weeks while still playing top notch defense. The competition was questionable, but it's still a good sign heading into the playoffs. Also, I just can't convince myself that Milford is for real yet.  vs. Middletown on 10/27.

Others: Olentangy Berlin, Olentangy, Milford, Cleveland Heights, Elder, X, Lakota West, Withrow, Youngstown Ursuline, Anderson, Walsh Jesuit, Pick Central, Hilliard Bradley, Mentor, Medina

All kidding aside (but I am serious about podcast idea), your thread for multiple years is top notch.  I wish we had someone do this for every state, but wouldn’t be easy.   You set the bar high.  👍🏻

@Wooderson for sure has AZ imho.  He’s at this level. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

@HawgGoneIt @dntn31

By far, you must try Mainstays Long Hair Faux Fur Backrest Pillow [21'' x 13'' x 19'']

4 and a 1/2 🌟 !!  😱🤯

&

It come in many different color:

IMG_7165.jpeg.96b23dd89b7c79271f07c2db749ef0b3.jpeg
Redzone Red !

IMG_7167.jpeg.06fe0a45dbc7b1f0c66d0abfab4fa03d.jpeg
Princess 👑 Peach !

IMG_7166.jpeg.4d9c4ce335a141a1d609805ddef704fb.jpeg
OR Grayson Gray!! Comes with choice of player transfer.

Whatever you like!

It only 40.00$ dollar unless you get the hand me down.

You Buy now! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

By far, you must try Mainstays Long Hair Faux Fur Backrest Pillow [21'' x 13'' x 19'']

4 and a 1/2 🌟 !!  😱🤯

&

Redzone Red !

Princess 👑 Peach !

Whatever you like!

You Buy now! 

My daughters called these “husbands.”  Seems appropriate.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

4 and a 1/2 🌟 !!  😱🤯

&

Redzone Red !

Princess 👑 Peach !

Whatever you like!

You Buy now! 

🙌🏼 👍🏻 @FreeBird you have a challenger this week.  😊

Ohio brackets: https://www.maxpreps.com/oh/football/playoffs/

The expanded playoffs have made the first rounds largely excitement-free, but there are a couple interesting first round games:

R1: Mentor (7-3) v. Ignatius (2-8) - A rematch of the week two game that saw Ignatius get their only accredited win of the season. Mentor screwed the pooch as they could not get their FG unit set up in time for a game winning attempt. Mentor dealt with an injury to their stud QB Fox for a few games, but ended up with a solid 7-3 season with a pretty young team. Ignatius, facing perhaps the toughest schedule in the state, saw their season go off the rails after the Mentor game.  However, they have recently gotten back two of their best players from injury in athlete Cody Haddad and RB Max Ritt.  They have also gone back to their senior QB Papesh. Haddad returned with a vengeance and had a great game against St. X that saw the Wildcats nearly pull the upset. He has picked up several D1 offers since his return. I think this will be a good game and the winner will have some serious confidence moving forward. Both teams are in Ed's side of the R1 bracket. It would only be fitting to have an Eds/Mentor or Eds/Ignatius playoff game at some point. 

R2: Wayne (7-3) v. Springfield (5-5) - The GWOC foes meet again. Wayne won 27-22 in the regular season. Both teams have several FBS level prospects on their teams and had high preseason expectations, but the talent has not always translated to the field. After losing 3 of their first 4 games, Springfield has won 3 of 4 down the stretch and lost a close one to Centerville. Wayne won convincingly against Centerville last week, but laid an egg the previously week when they were crushed by 2-8 Springboro. Which Wayne team shows up? Which Springfield team shows up? Good luck guessing but this could be a fun game to watch with the talent on the field. 

R3: Pick Central (7-3) v. New Albany (4-6) - I expect Pick Central to win this game, but New Albany can play defense and grind the clock on offense. They held both Gahanna-Lincoln and Pick North to some of their lowest offensive outputs of the year. Pick Central should not take this game lightly and could be on upset watch. 

R8: Winton Woods (7-3) v. La Salle (4-6) - Despite boasting a stellar defense, the Warriors have been terrible on the offensive side of the ball all year. Close losses to Milford and Anderson are understandable, but the week 10 loss to Lebanon is not how you want to roll into the playoffs. Meanwhile, La Salle comes in on a 5-game losing streak. However, they were all close losses to good teams (Moeller, Indy Cathedral, X, Elder and DCC). The Lancers are battle tested and if WW can't get their offense on track then they could be one and done. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@HawgGoneIt @dntn31

HH1 reporting from the 19th hole,

” the Moscow mules slid down my throat at a 14 on the stimp  meter slightly faster than the greens today at an 11” 

On to @reggid for his daily spy report😂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

HH1 reporting from the 19th hole,

” the Moscow mules slid down my throat at a 14 on the stimp  meter slightly faster than the greens today at an 11” 

On to @reggid for his daily spy report😂

“It’s October 24, and Michigan are still cheating scUM, and LSU and Colorado still blow.”

• Haha 1