Arch Manning Makes Texas Debut!

RedZone

28 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

2-for-5 for 30 yards = pretty good?

Well, you never were any good at evaluating quarterbacks.

The score was also ridiculous when he entered and I highly doubt he was facing Tech’s 1st string.

I saw 0-2 into the end zone, although Texas should have kicked a FG on his 2nd attempt.  Going for it up that much from the 6 and passing was not a good look imo at the time.  

Arch had a few nice scrambles in that first drive, but see above re: the D he likely faced 

50 minutes ago, 181pl said:

He looked good. He’ll look great in an FSU uniform next season. I wish.

FSU could seriously land this guy if he hits the portal. Texas has entirely too many quality QBs and one of them most likely is going to leave. 👇

I'm sure USC would be in the mix too though.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-fans-expecting-texas-longhorns-quarterback-to-transfer-maalik-murphy-arch-manning

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedZone said:

FSU could seriously land this guy if he hits the portal. Texas has entirely too many quality QBs and one of them most likely is going to leave. 👇

I'm sure USC would be in the mix too though.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-fans-expecting-texas-longhorns-quarterback-to-transfer-maalik-murphy-arch-manning

Murphy is from Gardena, CA.... if he does indeed transfer USC might be a logical destination. 

I'm sure lincoln "big house" riley has already contacted him either way. 😧😄

14 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Texas up 50-7 when he entered the game. Only played because the back up is hurt. Got no play when Ewers was out. He will not start until his junior year like Eli did. 

Sounds like Murphy may be out this week.  Crazy injury on the sideline on the kick return for a TD.

I think there is a good chance Arch moves ahead or Murphy this spring.  Maalik didn't look great when he got his shot.  It wouldn't shock me to see him portal out.  I still think he can grow, but he still needs a good bit of work imo.

4 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

2-for-5 for 30 yards = pretty good?

Well, you never were any good at evaluating quarterbacks.

Certainly not ready to crown him anything, but didn't hate what I saw.  Moved around the pocket pretty well and made a nice run or two.  Surprised at how strong an arm he had.  Like a lot of young QBs, he looked like he just threw it as hard as he could, and one time into an area that took balls.  I think you can teach kids to back off on the power when needed nad look for a safer route at times, but hard to go the other way.

Cautious, but excited.

9 minutes ago, pied said:

Sounds like Murphy may be out this week.  Crazy injury on the sideline on the kick return for a TD.

I think there is a good chance Arch moves ahead or Murphy this spring.  Maalik didn't look great when he got his shot.  It wouldn't shock me to see him portal out.  I still think he can grow, but he still needs a good bit of work imo.

With ewers coming back he should absolutely hit the portal. 

4 minutes ago, pied said:

Certainly not ready to crown him anything, but didn't hate what I saw.  Moved around the pocket pretty well and made a nice run or two.  Surprised at how strong an arm he had.  Like a lot of young QBs, he looked like he just threw it as hard as he could, and one time into an area that took balls.  I think you can teach kids to back off on the power when needed nad look for a safer route at times, but hard to go the other way.

Cautious, but excited.

If he flops he'll be the first  Manning to flop.....

I personally think they're bringing him along a little bit too slowly though.

He would have started on a lot of teams this year.....

Maybe that's the Manning plan!

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If he flops he'll be the first  Manning to flop.....

I personally think they're bringing him along a little bit too slowly though.

He would have started on a lot of teams this year.....

Maybe that's the Manning plan!

There's a first time for everything, and I'm old enough to have seen WAY too many sure things not pan out.

I think Maalik deserved the chance to start when Ewers went out, but I don't think earned the benefit of the doubt or the no doubt backup spot with his performances.  

In an ideal world, Ewers doesn't get injured this year, goes pro and we see who wins out between Murphy and Arch.  That didn't happen and I think there will be some PT next season with the backup.  

Here's is how this will happen.

Ewers will come back unless Texas somehow wins a title.  Murphy will transfer because Texas will Texas and play the name QB (Manning).  Ewers gets reckless and gets hurt again. Manning loses a couple of games and Longhorn Nation wants his head on a platter.  Backup to Manning plays solid and Texas fanbase splits over QBs again.

It's the Chris Simms/Major Applewhite era all over again.

Longhorn gonna Longhorn...again.

Stay tuned.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Ewers will come back unless Texas somehow wins a title.  Murphy will transfer because Texas will Texas and play the name QB (Manning).  Ewers gets reckless and gets hurt again. Manning loses a couple of games and Longhorn Nation wants his head on a platter.  Backup to Manning plays solid and Texas fanbase splits over QBs again.

Stay tuned.

It’s tough for Manning since he is a 3 star who only played one good team (Berkeley Prep,FL) his whole high school career. And that was a butt denting. I don’t think his last name will be able to get him out of this one. He will be surrounded by a lot of great players so he has that going for him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Stay tuned.

You have some kind of imagination for a snowman.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Stay tuned.

The problem with part if this is Simms > Applewhite.

People forget how injured and beat up Major got and the Headline "Apple Turnover" after his 3 pick 4 fumble game.

Major had some awful losses to KSU (Twice), Stanford, NC State, Tech, Arkansas. He also entered the 99 A&M game with the team up 16-6 and we lost 20-16. Doesn’t get credit for that loss since Simms started.

The 99 Big 12 championship against Nebraska was awful as he had 3 INTs.

His 6 turnover game at home against KSU was one of the worst QB performances I can recall.

These are Murphy's stats from games started this season:

BYU - 16/25 - 170 yards 2 TDS 1 INT

Kansas St - 19/37 - 248 yards 1 TD 2 INTs

TCU - 22/32 - 317 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Not terrible, but not the kind of performances you're looking for when you are trying to claim the spot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pied said:

The problem with part if this is Simms > Applewhite.

People forget how injured and beat up Major got and the Headline "Apple Turnover" after his 3 pick 4 fumble game.

Major had some awful losses to KSU (Twice), Stanford, NC State, Tech, Arkansas. He also entered the 99 A&M game with the team up 16-6 and we lost 20-16. Doesn’t get credit for that loss since Simms started.

The 99 Big 12 championship against Nebraska was awful as he had 3 INTs.

His 6 turnover game at home against KSU was one of the worst QB performances I can recall.

Simms had his struggle also (And no Im not talking about OU and CU)...His teams were just talented enough to aid him.

Also note how good Cupcake U and NEB were back then when Applewhite played....Yes 7 turnover is unacceptable...but still.