SOTU

Bormio

Just now, SeaShells21 said:

Could someone please find acting lessons for Sen. Katie Britt (R) ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

”What we saw was a rehearsed, career politician.” — as we watch literally the most rehearsed and unnatural speech in the history of speeches? Good lord wtf is this place?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If you only could have lasted a couple more minutes! 

maga greene would have got the blood flowing.

What a redneck bitch!

Screenshot_20240307-221537-866.png

She was asking puddin brain to say her name, and be held accountable….your reply is comical, like all your posts ferret face

6 hours ago, RedZone said:

If you only could have lasted a couple more minutes! 

maga greene would have got the blood flowing.

What a redneck bitch!

Screenshot_20240307-221537-866.png

It's really easy to see why everyone in Washington DC on both sides hates the blonde bimbo witch!

If I ever saw this woman in the middle of the road I would speed up.

Someone commented that after watching all those creepy people, he felt like he needed to take a shower.  Watching that, and then watching the MSM so predictably cheerlead that clusterfuck is just so damn depressing 

• Like 1

I didn't watch this thing live because I was watching Inter Miami.

But two takeaways.

1. It's never a good idea to lower the bar for your opponent to such a level that they can easily clear it and make your criticisms look silly. Even in this very thread, extreme bozo Bormio posts the canned Republican talking point about Biden's cognitive ability. But I guarantee that not a single casual viewer, who doesn't follow this stuff closely, had that view when watching that speech.
  2. The Republican Party's entire affect has become about stunts. Marjorie Taylor Greene is an embarrassment. She's trash. What's more is that her stunts don't deliver because, again, no casuals know who Laken Riley is. On top of that, Biden totally undercut her with common decency and an actual plan.

If/when the Republicans lose again it will be simply because their party has become the "idiot" party and their thought leaders are buffoons and performance artists while the Democrats have all the serious people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, concha said:

The Civil Rights Act... voted for in higher percentages by Republicans than Democrats

Because the division on that bill wasn't by party. It was by region. If you were in the North, regardless of party, you very likely voted for it. If you were in the South, regardless of party, you very likely voted against it.

Civil Rights Act of 1964

The Democrats just held the vast majority of Southern seats at the time. The Republicans only held 11 Southern House seats and 1 Southern Senate seat.

I wonder what the percentage was for those members?

• Southern House Republicans: 0–11 (0–100%)
  • Southern Senate Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)

Zero point zero.

There were actually 8 Southern Democrats in the House who voted for it and 1 Southern Democrat in the Senate. Not a high percentage, granted, but *actual* votes for it which took real political courage at that time and in that region of the country.

Zero political courage from Republicans (or maybe they were just against it in principle).

What's more is the latent dishonesty with a comment like yours. If the vote was held today there might not be a single Republican vote in favor anywhere in the America.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

I’ve been non-affiliated for most of my life and vote for candidates, not parties. Mostly libertarians, I’m sure.

I've been NPA my entire adult life and am center-left but have been described as a Democrat, leftist and left-winger by that goofball.

Guy has no other moves.

He hates people left of Attila the Hun so much that he even praises dictators as long as the people they killed can be described as leftists.

25 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I didn't watch this thing live because I was watching Inter Miami.

But two takeaways.

1. It's never a good idea to lower the bar for your opponent to such a level that they can easily clear it and make your criticisms look silly. Even in this very thread, extreme bozo Bormio posts the canned Republican talking point about Biden's cognitive ability. But I guarantee that not a single casual viewer, who doesn't follow this stuff closely, had that view when watching that speech.
  2. The Republican Party's entire affect has become about stunts. Marjorie Taylor Greene is an embarrassment. She's trash. What's more is that her stunts don't deliver because, again, no casuals know who Laken Riley is. On top of that, Biden totally undercut her with common decency and an actual plan.

If/when the Republicans lose again it will be simply because their party has become the "idiot" party and their thought leaders are buffoons and performance artists while the Democrats have all the serious people.

I watched it.

It was a great speech and one he desperately needed.

Game on!

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I watched it.

It was a great speech and one he desperately needed.

Game on!

You know that Biden won the night because they quickly pivoted from their canned responses (like Bormio's) to their on-the-fly response that Biden was *too* spry.

30 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Because the division on that bill wasn't by party. It was by region. If you were in the North, regardless of party, you very likely voted for it. If you were in the South, regardless of party, you very likely voted against it.

Civil Rights Act of 1964

The Democrats just held the vast majority of Southern seats at the time. The Republicans only held 11 Southern House seats and 1 Southern Senate seat.

I wonder what the percentage was for those members?

• Southern House Republicans: 0–11 (0–100%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)

Zero point zero.

There were actually 8 Southern Democrats in the House who voted for it and 1 Southern Democrat in the Senate. Not a high percentage, granted, but *actual* votes for it which took real political courage at that time and in that region of the country.

Zero political courage from Republicans (or maybe they were just against it in principle).

What's more is the latent dishonesty with a comment like yours. If the vote was held today there might not be a single Republican vote in favor anywhere in the America.

Translation:  "More Dems were racists, so I'll spin it"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, concha said:

Translation:  "More Dems were racists, so I'll spin it"

More Southerners were racist and their party of choice at the time was the Democratic Party.

Now those people are all Republicans.

Mostly *because* the Democratic Party came out in favor of Civil Rights.

You either didn't know the voting record or did know and are just lying.

16 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

You know that Biden won the night because they quickly pivoted from their canned responses (like Bormio's) to their on-the-fly response that Biden was *too* spry.

One of his best remarks was when he basically said it's better to be old with new ideas then old with dinosaur ideas.

If I was Team Biden I would roll with that the rest of the way. I would plaster that everywhere and often.

13 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

More Southerners were racist and their party of choice at the time was the Democratic Party.

Now those people are all Republicans.

Mostly *because* the Democratic Party came out in favor of Civil Rights.

You either didn't know the voting record or did know and are just lying.

As the South became more Republican it became less racist. Republicans weren't the majority in the South until probably the early 1990s, if you go by federal-level seats held.

The Southern Dems who were racists in the civil rights era stayed Dem until their deaths, almost to a man.

What changed with Dems in the South was switching from using whips and nooses to using pandering and dependence.

0c034eb31d68c0304ff847b9b425c43315e0bed3

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, concha said:

As the South became more Republican it became less racist.

This is high-level spin.

As the country became less racist the South was stubbornly drug along with it.

The virulent racism of Strom Thurmond, etc. and the cynical acceptance of them by Nixon and the Republicans after him had nothing to do with changing social and cultural norms in this country.

To say so is absurd.

4 minutes ago, concha said:

Republicans weren't the majority in the South until probably the early 1990s, if you go by federal-level seats held.

This is, again, cynical and disingenuous spin.

Old affiliations die hard. There are *still* ancestral Democrats in places like Arkansas and West Virginia who act and vote like Republicans. Zell Miller would've almost certainly been a Republican under any other circumstance but he stayed a Democrat until the very end. Why? Because he said FDR had saved his family during the Depression and they were New Deal Democrats so he would remain one to until the day he died.

That has zero to do with his actual political positions.

Until 1994, politics was still very local. Long-standing Democrats still won elections in places like that, and Republicans in New England, up until Gingrich sought to nationalize all the races.

That, again, has nothing to do with actual politics of the time.

14 minutes ago, concha said:

The Southern Dems who were racists in the civil rights era stayed Dem until their deaths, almost to a man.

This is not true.

But for those who did, it wasn't because the party was aligned with them on Civil Rights. Because it *clearly* wasn't.

👇

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

Old affiliations die hard. There are *still* ancestral Democrats in places like Arkansas and West Virginia who act and vote like Republicans. Zell Miller would've almost certainly been a Republican under any other circumstance but he stayed a Democrat until the very end. Why? Because he said FDR had saved his family during the Depression and they were New Deal Democrats so he would remain one to until the day he died.

That has zero to do with his actual political positions.

Until 1994, politics was still very local. Long-standing Democrats still won elections in places like that, and Republicans in New England, up until Gingrich sought to nationalize all the races.

That, again, has nothing to do with actual politics of the time.