Once in a Generation....

Sammyswordsman

An argument can be made that the 2017 Trinity league Champion  Mater Dei team is the best High School football team Ever.  Consider this:  15-0 with (19) D-1 recruits, and never trailed all season while playing the most difficult schedule in the country, beating 2 other state champs in the process.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article190097829.html

Mater Dei coach Bruce Rollinson, center, celebrates with players as time runs out in the CIF-SS Division I championship game in Norwalk on Dec. 2. Paul Rodriguez Orange County Register
HOMETOWN REPORT
‘Never seen anything like it’: Best prep football team – ever? – descends on Sac State
BY JOE DAVIDSON
jdavidson@sacbee.com

DECEMBER 15, 2017 04:49 PM

UPDATED DECEMBER 15, 2017 10:03 PM

This is big-boy football, a different animal with larger claws and sharper fangs to eviscerate all comers.

When Mater Dei of Santa Ana pulls up to Sacramento State on Saturday evening in a fleet of team buses, it’ll take a moment to unload the personnel. The Monarchs have 135 players and 15 coaches.

Nineteen of the athletes are prospects to play at the Football Bowl Subdivision level in college, according to various websites. To put that in better context, consider that there have been many years in which the Sac-Joaquin Section did not have 19 scholarship signees among its 190 schools.

The Monarchs are 14-0 and ranked No. 1 in the country. They are so formidable that they loom as a prohibitive favorite over nationally renowned De La Salle of Concord when the teams meet for the CIF State Open Division championship at Hornet Stadium.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article190097829.html#storylink=cpy

• Haha 1

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/12/cif-football-is-de-la-salle-in-over-head-against-mater-dei/

CONCORD — This past off-season, the No. 56 was not easy to miss around De La Salle football. Tacked to locker-room and weight-room walls, the number served as a bitter reminder about how last season ended.

At De La Salle, it’s not about how many games the team wins during the regular season.

It’s not about the 26 consecutive section championships or the 26-year unbeaten streak against local competition.

The season is about what will unfold Saturday night at Sacramento State.

It’s about returning to Concord with the coveted Open Division state championship trophy, the crown the Spartans surrendered on a brutally cold night last December when St. John Bosco-Bellflower made 56 an ugly number around De La Salle.

That Bosco team, which throttled DLS 56-33, was terrific.

The second place trophy rests on the field as the De La Salle Spartans watch the St. John Bosco team accept the first place trophy after being defeated during the 2016 CIF State Football Championship Open Division game at Hornet Stadium at Sacramento State University in Sacramento, Calif. on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016. St. John Bosco defeated the De La Salle Spartans 56-33. This was the most points scored against De La Salle since 1979. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group) Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group
The Mater Dei-Santa Ana team the Spartans will face Saturday is even stronger.

It’s undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation.

It has five of California’s top 50 college prospects in the Class of 2018, including the No. 1 overall, receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, according to 247Sports.

It has three of the state’s top 25 college prospects in the Class of 2019, including the No. 2 overall, USC-bound quarterback JT Daniels.

It dethroned Bosco in its last game, 49-24.

It beat reigning national champion Bishop Gorman-Las Vegas 35-21 in September, two weeks before Gorman routed De La Salle 34-7.

A few weeks after it beat Gorman, Mater Dei cruised to a 52-14 victory over St. Mary’s-Stockton at Levi’s Stadium.

Reached by phone Monday, St. Mary’s coach Tony Franks was asked about Mater Dei.

He chuckled.

“They’re a terrific football team,” Franks said. “Obviously they have some very high visibility big-name players, and those players clearly deliver and play at a very, very high level. But there’s guys all over the field that you can look at and say, ‘Wow, that guy is a terrific player, too.’

“I’ll give you an example. When we first got film in on those guys, we’re putting the film on, just kind of taking a first pass at it. Their right offensive tackle jumps out at me. That offensive line, they’re big dudes. They move really well. And that right tackle, I was like, ‘Look at the technique on that guy.’ His footwork was so good. Bent knees. Squared up. Come to find out the kid’s a sophomore. It was like, ‘Oh, my goodness.'”

De La Salle coach Justin Alumbaugh and his assistants have studied the video, too.

If Mater Dei has a weakness, Alumbaugh hasn’t spotted it.

“Offensively, they have guys all over the place,” he said. “Then you turn around and look at their defense, and their defense is really good, too. They score a ton of points, so people think they are just offense. But their defense is really physical.”

De La Salle’s Kairee Robinson (25) runs for a touchdown past St. John Bosco’s Cross Poyer (8) in the first quarter of the 2016 CIF State Football Championship Open Division game at Hornet Stadium at Sacramento State University in Sacramento, Calif. on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group) 
De La Salle wants a physical game. It wants to control the clock with its ground game, which it hopes will include leading rusher Kairee Robinson (foot), and make enough stops to keep the score manageable in the fourth quarter.

Given last season’s loss to Bosco, De La Salle added Bishop Gorman and St. John’s-Washington, D.C to the schedule, believing the high-level competition would get the team ready for the Southern California champion at the end of the season.

“The simple answer is, yeah, we can definitely win,” Alumbaugh said. “It’s just you’ve got to play really well. It’s certainly not insurmountable. When you’re playing a great team, the margin for error is really small. But that’s why we kind of prepped the way that we did, scheduled the way that we did, to prepare for a team like Mater Dei.

“Our ultimate goal is to win the state championship, and the past few years we know what we’re facing. Just take a look at the last three years. You’ve got the Mater Dei team this year, they’re incredible. Last year’s St. John Bosco team was incredible. The year before that, 2015, we played Corona Centennial. They were the No. 1 team in the country when we played them.

“Those guys were loaded, too, and a lot was being said then, too. We were able to pull out a victory in that game. Certainly can be done. We have the blueprint. But we have to do what we do really, really well. We want to grind it out, muddy the game up a little bit. We want to make it a really, really physical game. We just want to get it to the point like it was with St. John’s (D.C). We want to grind it out, grind it out and look up at the fourth quarter and have a tight ballgame. That’s where we’re pretty comfortable.”

43 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

They didn't have a top 5 schedule let alone the most difficult.  That said an argument can be made for them being the best team ever in high school football.

Name 5 better

i can’t come up with one — the only blemish is they didn’t have to play themselves so 15 teams can claim a greater opponent 

• Like 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Just saying MDs two OOS wins really don't help your argument for being considered the GTOAT. I'd agree with you if they'd scheduled and beaten teams like IMG, Allen, AHP or Bing. I realize none of this is predictable in advance. If BC doesn't lose to Wood and BG to MC, your argument would be much stronger. Conversely, I do feel this years MD team was best than any Valdosta team ever. 

NJ guys always overrate OOS 

Teo of the CA teams they beat badly were further from MD than OH is to NJ

I agree with the other argument as well about the schedule. 

It turned out to be a lot more lack luster than it appeared it would be in the preseason. I guess we can say that at least they tried.

Or we can say that they were really good at picking and choosing to know which teams would be on a down year and loading their schedule with names that were actually down.

• Confused 1

Just now, nptb17 said:

Miami Central, St. Johns off the top of my head.

Try again

MD played the best two teams St John played THEEE times 

MC played 6 too 500 teams; MD played 10/13/14 top 100/200/500 teams 

the 14th best team on MD’s schedule was CQ’s marquee OOS opponent 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Just saying MDs two OOS wins really don't help your argument for being considered the GTOAT. I'd agree with you if they'd scheduled and beaten teams like IMG, Allen, AHP or Bing. I realize none of this is predictable in advance. If BC doesn't lose to Wood and BG to MC, your argument would be much stronger. Conversely, I do feel this years MD team was best than any Valdosta team ever. 

You are way to hung up on IMG...I know they scare the bejesus out of you east coast guys... But  IMG would be a competitive CIFSS D-1 team, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I agree with the other argument as well about the schedule. 

It turned out to be a lot more lack luster than it appeared it would be in the preseason. I guess we can say that at least they tried.

Or we can say that they were really good at picking and choosing to know which teams would be on a down year and loading their schedule with names that were actually down.

The Stache broke BG 57 game win streak, they Bergened the Highly touted NJ state champs and beat SJB twice.  SJB is arguably a top 5 national team itself.

then MD almost running clocked  a DLS team that their coach said was BETTER than the '16 team 

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

The newest CA "generational team" will always have the most wins over top 100 teams.

There's almost no way the calpreps algorithm will spit out anything different.

The only team that can even approach it is IMG and they can't get enough games to do that.

Everything that you argue is based on bias.

N

8 minutes ago, Pops said:

Try again

Nobody is talking about CalPreps. Where SoCal teams pretty much pick & choose their ranking.

That said MD played on of the Top 3 schedules from what I can see...

St. John Bosco (×2)

Bishop Gorman NV 

Mission Viejo CA

Bergen Catholic NJ

De La Salle CA 

These 5 teams/6 games are really the only ones that count. The rest are so propped up by CaliforniaPreps its ridiculous. For example, SM is at 50 when they are truthfully no better than a Avon IN, a Gonzaga DC or a Saguaro AZ.

8 minutes ago, Pops said:

Try again

I don't care about what some computer says a schedule is rated.  I'm going off of what I've seen.  IMG had the toughest schedule in the country.  SJB was the best team on Mater Dei's schedule.  Mater played them twice and then BG and DLS.  The rest of the schedule doesn't matter and remember this is a national board.

Miami Central played IMG, Northwestern twice, who imo is better than SJB, and BG.  The rest of their schedule doesn't matter here either.

26 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You act like miami Central were crap

Why because MNW beat them??