Anyone else find this embarassing

HSFBfan

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Well I normally wouldn't support something like this.... 

Normally... 

But I will in this case. 

They're tired of having to worry about being shot up. 

And I can't say I blame them. 

It's happened enough. 

IMO its embarrassing. I do support the school districts that will discipline all students that walk out. The students cannot run the schools. 

Just now, Sportsnut said:

I expect this from you. 

You don't like kids do you?

You previously posted that you should not pay taxes that go to schools because you don't have any there. 

You think only parent should pay for schools.

That is not a good stance to take given your propensity for politics.

Has nothing to do with anything. As a minor you have no say in your home at schools or in society in general. Thats why your a minor. The people that are considered adults in this country and as of now that is at the age of 18 and older will make said decisions for ourselves and if you have kids your kids. Same in schools teachers principals and the like will make said decisions. it is not up to the student to give their opinions. Now if your in a college and want to have an open discussion fine because they are 18. 

3 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

You are wrong.

They are human and do have a say. 

You are not God.

A child starts to make choices very early in life and many you have no control over and some you do. 

Try as you might, if your child decides something and have the conviction, they will push away from you and may never again allow you to influence them in any way ever again. When that happens, you have lost the trust and respect. There comes a time when compromise is called for as they grow older but you are not in total control. 

No they dont. They shouldnt be making any decisions for themselves at all. What are you talking about

They dont have a say. Before 18 you have absolutely no say. Thats why their is an age of adulthood. 

I dont know how you grew up but I never had a say. It was do what my parents tell me to do. 

How would you feel and what would you do if your kid came to you and said he was afraid to go to school for fear of getting shot?

Do you listen to hi concerns?

Do you tell him to just go to school?

Can you reassure your child with confidence that he will be safe?

Yeah he/she better get their ass to school without a doubt. Considering how small of a percentage of anything significant happening in school yea theyll be fine. There is absolutely no guarantees in life. Go live your life get your ass to school. Just like your expected to be at work daily your ass should be in school daily. 

Typical. Fits you perfectly.

Given your disposition, just perfect

There were no excuses in how I was raised. There was no skipping school. No coming home early. Got my ass up everyday and everyday went to school. And remember Columbine happened when i was in middle school. We just continued to go to school. No walk out no protest. Learning continued

11 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

You are wrong.

They are human and do have a say. 

You are not God.

A child starts to make choices very early in life and many you have no control over and some you do. 

Try as you might, if your child decides something and have the conviction, they will push away from you and may never again allow you to influence them in any way ever again. When that happens, you have lost the trust and respect. There comes a time when compromise is called for as they grow older but you are not in total control. 

Says the fuck who wants to make 21 the mandatory age for a "child" to buy a gun. 

5 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

That was natural for everyone.

You were not special in that way.

Columbine was the start. It is more common now.

Learning continues now.

It is not like the kid are leaving school for good.

Not saying I was special. Many many people did what needed to be done for that exact reason. Because you had to do what you had to do and it was to go to school. And we did that.

1 minute ago, Drummer61 said:

The government school system, not unlike some NFL owners, allow the "inmates to run the asylum" !! IMO... This should be done locally and AFTER SCHOOL.....Someone else or a group may be involved and behind this...IMO.

Could be. Go check CNN and George Soros payrolls

• Haha 1

not so funny topic ...daughter was home from school today (well wed.) as I got the 5am phone call from the HS and the day was called so they could run the dogs thru and shakedown everything (on some unnamed threat)....

Evening call said all the buildings and grounds are clear and school is on for tomorrow (or today for thur.) But for parents to expect a heavy police presence at the school tomorrow.....

Sooo.....should the kids get to 'protest'??? ....that's the question?

Quick take is NO...but a demonstration I would not have any issues with for their voices to be heard...

Why the heck would anyone call it a protest? As in who (or what) exactly are they 'protesting' .... some anonymous phone threat or similar?

As with any 'demonstration' there are appropriate times that are more effective....and any negative impacting of their own 'safe learning environment' would be counterproductive to their own cause...

Even kids can figure that one out...

Now This is nothing new for our school (seems at least once a year now), and you could even think that maybe it's just another 'unannounced shakedown' to screen every locker for drugs etc. (funny that those parents believing this, have not much issue with it, as they believe it's an effective tool to provide a 'drug free' safe learning environment ... ), but they have actually caught several perpetrators of threats and don't play around, know the drill like the back of their hands by now, so at least I know that our school is not nearly the softest school target....

If I get word on what the 'unnamed threat' was this time, I'll post it...If I get word on how many kids were busted with drugs in their lockers etc. I'll post it too....but given the police presence, more likely another dingbat student will be in the papers again with his own form of school 'protest' being highlighted....  

Is this the guy (or girl student in the last case) any walk-out or sit-in class disruption  'Protest' is supposed to be addressing?

Dunno, guess that's just 2 cents...

BTW: my guess right now is that some self 'empowered' student will be getting his name in the papers for some 'make a point' threat related to "anyone not going along with 'national school walkout' day could be in danger...just a hunch...

20 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

When did this country start empowering minors......their is a reason why they are considered minors. They should be told what to do at that point. Not telling people what to do

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/14/national-school-walkout-students-to-protest-gun-violence-call-for-action-one-month-after-parkland-shooting.html

At what stage is one no longer a minor in your view? You know it differs from country to country and has throughout history.

Jews get their Bar Mitzvah at 13 you know. 

The kids have chosen to walk out and have a peaceful protest because it has appeared that the adults around them won't do anything. Pretty simple really. It's much better than taking up arms against the people they want to prove a point to. No? 

Teachers went on strike to get more money, but, keep stiffly walking into the "killing fields" of the class rooms without apparently doing much of anything about stopping lunatics from coming into the school and shooting the students. 

There should be nothing wrong with kids learning about the power of peaceful protest, or at the minimum being allowed to express their displeasure with how the "adults" have handled their safety and protection in light of so many school shootings. We should be applauding the kids and chiding the adults that have the power but continue to thumb their nose imo. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

At what stage is one no longer a minor in your view? You know it differs from country to country and has throughout history.

Jews get their Bar Mitzvah at 13 you know. 

Yes I know but the age of adulthood is 18 in this country and is the reason why I argue for the drinking age to be lowered back to 18

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes I know but the age of adulthood is 18 in this country and is the reason why I argue for the drinking age to be lowered back to 18

or raise the legal age across the board top 21, which is what I would favor. (Kids today grow up much slower.)

But I do agree with you, consistency across the board is preferable. 

Like having one set of laws not 50.

Just now, noonereal said:

or raise the legal age across the board top 21, which is what I would favor. (Kids today grow up much slower.)

But I do agree with you, consistency across the board is preferable. 

Like having one set of laws not 50.

I would have to disagree with this but the rest of your statements I can agree with

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

fair enough, just curious, why do you feel 18 is good to go rather than 21?

Because by doing what your proposing you keep pushing off becoming an adult. And thats not a good thing. In 200 years we have gone from 15 year old fighting in battles and wanting to serve in the military to college educated morons screaming at the sky because of an election. At 18 you can vote and join the military and when you can exercise those 2 options you are an adult. Like I said bring the drinking age back to 18. We are out of the norm when it comes to drinking. This country vilifies drinking when the rest of the world embraces it thru culture. So it leads to drinking being almost taboo which leads to binge drinking and death. 

• Like 1

Just now, noonereal said:

affluence has caused the delay in adulthood, my suggestion would be but an adjustment for what has already occured

drinking age? should be none, it's ridiculous

I could go with no drinking age that would be fine by me

Can you explain what you mean by the first part