Coach Wright Q&A

PrepGridiron

Taron Vincent, who was a gamechanger  type of player on the interior line, I have never seen a defensive tackle make as many players or dominate a game like he could. But the best pure athlete was definitely Drake Davis, who is at LSU now. At the start of 2015, he scored touchdowns each of the first seven times he touched the ball. Kickoff return, catching, rushing… he was electric. Even more impressive was that he didn’t even play football the previous year at Fork Union, he only played soccer. He was able to pick up and dominate like he did very quickly. While he was here, he would also train with the soccer team sometimes, ran track (electronically timed at 4.33 in the 40) and would run out on the court during basketball halftimes and do slam-dunk contests without warming up.

5 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Coach , 

recruiting 17&18 year olds from several states away and country’s for the fact, how are they adapting socially, personally and emotionally?

I am not sure what IMG has to offer outside athletics&academics.

Thanks

I tell every player and student-athlete that considers coming that this place is not for everybody...its tough. A player has to be committed to keeping up with their schoolwork, and the regimen of the boarding school. When families reach out, we spend most of the time in that conversation talking about the realities of boarding school life and what it takes to get the most out of this experience. Students and families both make sacrifices, its the closest experience you can get to being a college student-athlete. If you are able to be successful here, you will have a great foundation when you start college because you have already experienced so many things most kids don't experience until their freshman year in college.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulysses McGill said:

I know the program a little bit, and some of the football players have ran track over the years, or at least trained with the track program when the two programs both practiced in the afternoon. But now football trains in the morning before school, so the schedules don't line up as they used to. Some of the more notable football players to run track at IMG were, from recollection, Nick Thomas (Wisconsin LB), Drake Davis (LSU WR), John Tauber (UCF LB) and I remember one kid from Sweden, Simon Udrop, actually switched fully to track for his senior year. I'm probably forgetting a few, but that's who I can remember. 

Pretty much all the track kids at IMG are dedicated to track. 

Being from Louisiana I'm quite familiar with Drake Davis (Baton Rouge)......he wasn't a top-end track guy by any means though.

Hopefully, Davis lights it up this year for the Tigers.

Anyways, my question wasn't about IMG football team speed as few can match it player for player.

I could be totally wrong, but track just doesn't seem that important at IMG. I was just curious about that mindset.

Thanks for your time...

3 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Coach, it’s been about 30 minutes. Thank you for your time. Feel free to stick around. Last two questions:

What did you think about Corona Centennial when you faced them?

What was your take on the Grayson game a few years ago?

The program coach Logan has built at Centennial is amazing. There is no high school in America that plays offense like they do. Their scheme and style is something you really can’t simulate in practice and I am not sure anybody has really stopped them in the past several years including us. The thing that most impressed me though was how hard their kids play. No matter what happens they just keep playing which ultimately means they are going to give themselves a chance to win no matter who the opponent is.

As I mentioned the Grayson game was an incredible atmosphere and the fact it was played on ESPN added to that. It was a very physical game with extremely talented players on both sides of the ball. It was defensive game where eventually we were able to find some things in our QB run game where we were able to score some points and pull away late. They were definitely very impressive, and a lot of those kids who played in that game for them I believe where sophomores so I expect they will be loaded this year.

8 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Who is the most talented QB you've ever faced?

Kind of like the best teams ever, this is another one where it’s impossible to just say one person. We were incredibly impressed with Jacob Conover at Chandler before his injury took him out of the game last year. He is going to be a very good player. But I can’t discuss this without mentioning both Jarrett Guarantano at Bergen Catholic, who put up over 500 yards of total offense on us, and Tanner McKee at Corona Centennial. McKee’s sense of timing and accuracy were just amazing. With his size and physical tools he has a chance to play on Sundays IMO.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

Hello Coach,

Thanks for joining us. can you Give us an insight on your thoughts on the game versus mater Dei? Your thoughts on Coach Rollinson. Thanks!

Mater Dei is an extremely talented, and well coached football team. They are one traditionally one of the best programs in the country, and I am sure it will be an incredible atmosphere. We are excited for the opportunity. There is already a lot of hype surrounding the game. I think possibly the biggest challenge for both teams will be the fact we play big-time opponents prior to the game in California. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Thanks so much coach!!! How do you decide which players are good for IMG?f you are still around and I can squeeze in one more question:

Everything starts with academics and discipline, and every single player starts by going through the admissions process. People see all the glamour a lot of times that surrounds coming to school here, so we try to educate them on things like time management, and self-discipline two of the key qualities you have to have to be successful at IMG. We have almost 1,200 full-time students from over 80 different countries so there is a tremendous amount of diversity here. My own kids have friends from all over the world so it can be very rewarding, but you must be willing to commit to every aspect of being the best student-athlete you can be if you want to be successful here.  

• Like 1

Just now, RedZone said:

IMG OC Charles Turner just recently committed to LSU...#6 rated OC per 247sports......nice offer list in that world.

I guess my question (last) is what do think about that world (Rivals, 247sports, etc)

What kind of player is LSU getting?

Charles is a young man from northwest Ohio that didn't have any offers when he showed up here a year ago to visit. He is a kid that we played at every position along the offensive line as well as at TE just to keep him in the game. He will start at center for us this year so he will run the show up front in regards to making line calls. He is very tough kid, with great feet, who gives you a lot of options. He will fit in well at LSU.

1 minute ago, Coach Wright said:

Charles is a young man from northwest Ohio that didn't have any offers when he showed up here a year ago to visit. He is a kid that we played at every position along the offensive line as well as at TE just to keep him in the game. He will start at center for us this year so he will run the show up front in regards to making line calls. He is very tough kid, with great feet, who gives you a lot of options. He will fit in well at LSU.

That's interesting.

Much appreciated.....have a good night.

2 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Coach,

what do you think of our national rankings and MNC talk? 

Do you/ players pay attention and does it really matter?

thanks

There are a lot of national polls that out today that rank teams. I think its tough at the HS level because there aren't a lot of games against teams from region to region although its increasing. We don't really pay much attention as coaches, but anytime your program is recognized on the national level wherever you are at its a great compliment. One of the best things about coaching and playing here has been playing against all the great teams, players, and coaches from across the country. Its been an incredible experience.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Hey coach Any thoughts on playing the greatest High school football team in America in the Future?

Talking about The colquitt county Packers

Every year we set out to play the best teams we can schedule. Colquitt County is a big time program, and it probably doesn't get much better than playing a football game in south Georgia!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Not a question coach but you mentioned bergen and a the other NJ schools. They seemed to have left a very good impression on you. 

Most definitely, we have played 4 teams now from the NJ and every team has been talented, extremely well coached, and gave us everything we could handle. All tremendous games. NJ is an area that probably doesn't get as much recognition as it should when it comes to big-time HS football. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

How hard is it to actually fill up a 10 game schedule? 

It hasn't been as hard as people would expect especially since we are willing to travel to play the best schools we can find. We have a 12 game schedule set for this year, and have already started scheduling for the 2019 season. We lost 2 games last year because of the hurricane, hopefully we don't have to deal with that in the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Wright said:

Every year we set out to play the best teams we can schedule. Colquitt County is a big time program, and it probably doesn't get much better than playing a football game in south Georgia!

I'd really appreciate it if you could answer this for me: I heard that there was a discussion between IMG and colquitt to play at the end of the 2015 season. How come that game didn't take place?