Hey Folsom, what's up with this?

Fred

2 hours ago, concrete17 said:

Don't fool yourself.....that's exactly how it started here in NorCal. You bought your home  "a couple years ago" invested a little money  for improvements a wha-la !! it has already more than doubled in value.

In a few years you and your neighbor buddies will be sitting on the porch or around the BBQ grill patting yourself on the back how lucky or wise you were to buy your home early as it is approaching 4-6x's the initial investment. Then one day as neighbors with big cash downs and huge incomes high incomes to match (AND entitled attitudes to go with the high income) have moved into your newly discovered, great neighborhood snatching up homes all around you. Gone will be the days of impromptu backyard potlucks, sharing tools for yardwork and parking where you please without some new, faceless neighbor sticking a note on your windshield asking you to please move your car before tomorrow morning.

I bought my home back in the 80's after college for $82k, which seemed like a financial butt boring back then. Through the 90's and into the double oughts I watched the values skyrocket ......social security bankrupt by my retirement years???,   who cares I got my nest egg right here in my home. 

Then one day we recieved a notice our street would require residential parking permits and that it was being turned into part of a bike priority  transit way. When the "old guard" neighbors tried to petiition for a hearing to reconsider the changes we were rebuffed by many of our newer neighbors who had spent so much to purchase the Increase valued homes and more than once were told maybe we should consider moving elsewhere more to our liking.

But I always said I will leave my home, where I raised my kid, numerous multi family Holiday parties, birthdays, anniveraries, put many hours making it better home...... feet first. I bought into this neighborhood because we love the weather, the access to public and freeway transportation, the parks and the balance of commercial zones.

Just be careful for what wish. We sometimes feel trapped by the million dollar real estate valuations all around us but there is no where else we would prefer to call home .

I'll never say never, but it's hard to imagine that occurring in my neighborhood. Sure the values will flucuate, but the market here is pretty stable, and has been for quite sometime. I contribute this to the slow, but steady growth in the South GA region.

The value of my home hasn't actually doubled in the time frame, I just got a steal when purchasing.

I tried to be as forward thinking as possible when making the decision to purchase, realizing how drastically things can change. I looked for the most bang for my buck in a starter home; something that was easily manageable and not burdensome. I also know the area is not a strong market for home buying, but more suitable for renting.

The possibly of needing to relocate for work was a big factor, so I wanted a property suitable for renting and affordable enough to support two mortgages if needed.

I do understand and agree with what you're saying, and it's my hopes that I don't suffer that same fate.

3 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I'll never say never, but it's hard to imagine that occurring in my neighborhood. Sure the values will flucuate, but the market here is pretty stable, and has been for quite sometime. I contribute this to the slow, but steady growth in the South GA region.

The value of my home hasn't actually doubled in the time frame, I just got a steal when purchasing.

I tried to be as forward thinking as possible when making the decision to purchase, realizing how drastically things can change. I looked for the most bang for my buck in a starter home; something that was easily manageable and not burdensome. I also know the area is not a strong market for home buying, but more suitable for renting.

The possibly of needing to relocate for work was a big factor, so I wanted a property suitable for renting and affordable enough to support two mortgages if needed.

I do understand and agree with what you're saying, and it's my hopes that I don't suffer that same fate.

Ditto on not suffering the same fate.....mind you there are definitely still more positives to where we continue to live now,  

But with companies like Amazon promising 50,000 new high paying jobs and $5 million in investments Cities, Mayors, Community development Corps, Chambers of Commerces are bending over backwards like a contorted Gumby hooker just trying to get some of the action. Now its down to 20 cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, Boston and Atlanta included. 

Out of the proposed 50,000 'high paying' jobs, how many do you really think will come from established locals?  5k, 10k maybe but get ready for the flood of new residents each one bidding for the limited housing stock currently available. And even if new homes can be built quick enough to accomodate these new workers and their families, not to mention schools, streets and supporting infrastructure. get ready for the $10.50 cup of coffee, $125 jeans and grocery stores that sell the food experience rather just the basics for dinner.

Amazon is not an anomaly but the forebearer of the future as other  West Coast tech companies look to expand out of their current expensive and constricted locations. At least we were lucky enough to have the changes come gradual enough to be able to go with the flow and adust accordingly

Enough of this financial Debbie Downer bs, let's get back to reality.....38 days to NorCal HS football kickoffs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, concrete17 said:

Just be careful for what wish. We sometimes feel trapped by the million dollar real estate valuations all around us but there is no where else we would prefer to call home .

Yea.  With all the kids gone our house is really too big but we still love it.  No million dollar appreciation for us but the reality is we can't replace it with something smaller that we would have for what we can get out of it.  We've done some upgrades over the years and have some going on even as I type.  Fortunately we still love the neighborhood as well.

14 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Thirty or more years ago SF was a spectacular city but over the years it has regressed to one of the biggest Sh..holes in the country. It becomes evident as one drives down Geary or O'Farrell streets among a bunch of others with the street signs warning of "No drug dealing zones" or stuff like it. There was a time you could have a great evening out in the Tenderloin... Theater, Jazz, Great Restaurants etc but that has long since vanished and very depressing to drive through the area. The Mission District, while currently more active isn't much better. Cross the bridge into Saulsalito and you feel you have risen to heaven from hell.

How far back Are you talking about when you say the Tenderloin was a good place ?  My experience is that the tenderloin has always been akin to a skid row, something like that.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

We deal with quite a few banking exec's in one of our businesses and what you just elaborated upon is often a topic of our lunch discussions. There is quietly a growing concern about how that may hit us with a result much like eleven years ago. 

The housing boom along the coast from the Bay Area to San Diego is just insane.  There has to be a ceiling, don't you think?  I get that the Silicon Valley is only getting bigger and bigger with so many companies short on staff, since business is booming and not slowing down.  I just wonder if we are in for another housing bust, but this time it will affect the pricier area.  Good post brother.  You guys that discuss this at lunch are right to wonder and worry about it to an extent.  I saw this during the dot com bust in the early 2000's, where there were so many paper millionaires that all of a sudden had nothing and all of their luxury items including their homes were repod. I remember hearing so many crazy stories about dudes living in their Porsche's and Rang Rovers.  Lol.  It was nuts. 

15 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Thirty or more years ago SF was a spectacular city but over the years it has regressed to one of the biggest Sh..holes in the country. It becomes evident as one drives down Geary or O'Farrell streets among a bunch of others with the street signs warning of "No drug dealing zones" or stuff like it. There was a time you could have a great evening out in the Tenderloin... Theater, Jazz, Great Restaurants etc but that has long since vanished and very depressing to drive through the area. The Mission District, while currently more active isn't much better. Cross the bridge into Saulsalito and you feel you have risen to heaven from hell.

The TL use to be nice?  That's crazy!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Variable interest rates should be done away with in my opinion. I don't know the ends and outs of banking or lending, but it's obvious there is no upside to these types of loans (at least for the borrower). To me, it's a scam that preys on the desperate and uninformed, who are usually not in great financial standing to begin with.

Also, the constant buying, selling, and exchanging of loans is something I disagree with.

Both should be outlawed. Maybe I'm wrong due to lack of knowledge on the subject...

I can say that I will go without before getting suckered into a variable interest rate. I've seen too many people lose it all because they went that route.

Variable rate loans have saved people lots of money

i’d outlaw the lottery before variable interest rate loans if we just want to protect people from making bad decisions 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, concrete17 said:

Ditto on not suffering the same fate.....mind you there are definitely still more positives to where we continue to live now,  

But with companies like Amazon promising 50,000 new high paying jobs and $5 million in investments Cities, Mayors, Community development Corps, Chambers of Commerces are bending over backwards like a contorted Gumby hooker just trying to get some of the action. Now its down to 20 cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, Boston and Atlanta included. 

Out of the proposed 50,000 'high paying' jobs, how many do you really think will come from established locals?  5k, 10k maybe but get ready for the flood of new residents each one bidding for the limited housing stock currently available. And even if new homes can be built quick enough to accomodate these new workers and their families, not to mention schools, streets and supporting infrastructure. get ready for the $10.50 cup of coffee, $125 jeans and grocery stores that sell the food experience rather just the basics for dinner.

Amazon is not an anomaly but the forebearer of the future as other  West Coast tech companies look to expand out of their current expensive and constricted locations. At least we were lucky enough to have the changes come gradual enough to be able to go with the flow and adust accordingly

Enough of this financial Debbie Downer bs, let's get back to reality.....38 days to NorCal HS football kickoffs.

This is so on point.  A majority of the those jobs will only not be locals, but out of country.  Wherever they decide to open up that new facility, the locals will get a small tiny taste of what has gone on in Cali, especially the Silicon Valley.  There are just not enough qualified workers here to meet demand.  Out of country recruiting is such a huge business now.  A lot of those companies run by Hindi or Chinese folk have been getting busted, because they falsely apply for huge blocks of H1 and 2 visas for employees that do no even exist yet.  Then what they do is market themselves at the top universities in those countries and recruit guys by saying, "we already have a visa waiting for you'.  Huge business. 

CA football is great, CA as a state blows ass to live in (I can say that as a current resident). Cost of living is extremely high, the state government is a bunch of constitution hating snowflakes, the traffic is horrendous, and the large majority of people are narcissists on the verge of psychological breakdowns. Looking forward to getting the heck out of here.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Variable rate loans have saved people lots of money

i’d outlaw the lottery before variable interest rate loans if we just want to protect people from making bad decisions 

These loans are tailored for people who do not plan on living in the property for a long period of time. They have a fixed rate period which is typically between 5-10 years. These are not bad loans at all for most of the people who utilize them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tesseract said:

CA football is great, CA as a state blows ass to live in (I can say that as a current resident). Cost of living is extremely high, the state government is a bunch of constitution hating snowflakes, the traffic is horrendous, and the large majority of people are narcissists on the verge of psychological breakdowns. Looking forward to getting the heck out of here.

The big question is " Where do you go "?

10 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

How far back Are you talking about when you say the Tenderloin was a good place ?  My experience is that the tenderloin has always been akin to a skid row, something like that.

The Tenderloin started to rapidly go down hill in the early to mid 80's. Prior to that, especially in the late 70's it was a vibrant area centered around O'Farrell and Mason.

It had a mini Manhatten feel ( the night clubs in the area were insane... and there were a bunch of them ) with lots of activity and loads of tourists as it was an easy walk from union square and all of the posh hotels ( Fairmont, Mk Hopkins, St Francis etc. ). The Geary Theater was always booked well in advance. Only Chinatown, The Wharf and to a lesser degree, North Beach could rival it, especially on the weekend nights where the theater, jazz spots, and virtually any type of entertainment could be found. Once the real estate market crashed coupled with the shift to a much more permissive attitude toward drugs, the area started the descent into the hell hole it now is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tesseract said:

On the flip side, if you’re into the outdoors, beaches,  mountains, desert, alpine settings, and the fact that weather seldom plays a role in spoiling things, it’s hard to beat.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, On2whls said:

On the flip side, if you’re into the outdoors, beaches,  mountains, desert, alpine settings, and the fact that weather seldom plays a role in spoiling things, it’s hard to beat.

Living in California is like dating a beautiful woman who is addicted to coke...she’ll steal all your money, make your life a living hell but hey she look great in your arms...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tesseract said:

Where my new job will be. However, I'm not obliged to disclose that information.

I wasn't asking you personally where " You " would go, but just posing the question,  where a lot of us who feel like you do, are asking ourselves that same  question.  I'm an out door enthusiast, and finding a state that is year round accessible to do the things I like, Cali is almost impossible to beat.  Maybe the State of Jefferson.  

49 minutes ago, Pops said:

I did 

retired at the end of last year and spent much of 2017 in TX but that was always temporary 

moved to San Juan islands in WA full-time last November 

I really like the idea of living in the Pacific Northwest.  Both the wife and I- all of our family and friends are in the NYC metro area, so not happening anytime soon.  We will be staying in Westchester for a long time I suppose because of the schools for our son. Pay ridiculous property taxes in Westchester as a home owner though. My honest opinion is the school system we are in is very good, but the money is outrageous between buying a house and paying these taxes.  If we sold our house in Purchase, NY and bought somewhere else (i.e. Texas, WA, CO, NC, etc.) I would have a lot more $$ in my pocket off the bat, regardless of work situation.  Very hard to make a living living where we are now, which is a shame because it is a great area in this country to live.  Right outside of NYC in basically the country’s first “suburb” as described today.  Being on the NYC work grind everyday wears on you no question.  

25 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

I really like the idea of living in the Pacific Northwest.  Both the wife and I- all of our family and friends are in the NYC metro area, so not happening anytime soon.  We will be staying in Westchester for a long time I suppose because of the schools for our son. Pay ridiculous property taxes in Westchester as a home owner though. My honest opinion is the school system we are in is very good, but the money is outrageous between buying a house and paying these taxes.  If we sold our house in Purchase, NY and bought somewhere else (i.e. Texas, WA, CO, NC, etc.) I would have a lot more $$ in my pocket off the bat, regardless of work situation.  Very hard to make a living living where we are now, which is a shame because it is a great area in this country to live.  Right outside of NYC in basically the country’s first “suburb” as described today.  Being on the NYC work grind everyday wears on you no question.  

Can definitely relate to grinding hard in expensive metro — I was in Bay Area 25 years 

WA won’t get you as much value as some other places like TX or CO — Amazon put turbo boosters in Seattle real estate 

if you’d like to visit he San Juan islands, let me know — we own a couple of vacation rentals that seem to be well received 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pops said:

I did 

retired at the end of last year and spent much of 2017 in TX but that was always temporary 

moved to San Juan islands in WA full-time last November 

That is a pretty cool area. Once stayed overnight in Anacortez before I took the ferry to Sydney on Vancouver Island. Got to see some of the Islands. Beautiful ! 

13 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

That is a pretty cool area. Once stayed overnight in Anacortez before I took the ferry to Sydney on Vancouver Island. Got to see some of the Islands. Beautiful ! 

Yep, that ferry goes right thru the San Juan’s — I’m on Orcas Island, which would have been the one to your right much of that ferry ride 

assume you went to Victoria from Sydney?