Best college team ever?

GrecoRoman

I'm a bias Husker fan I so I'll say Nebraska 94-95.  I will concede that I would I have to favor 2001 Miami against them based on the level of talent that was on the team - no team comes even remotely close so it's absurd not to acknowledge they could beat any college team.   However, Dorsey was suspect at QB and all that talent didn't gel in every game  they were no doubt susceptible to upset.

Miami only beat V Tech by 2 points. That's their only issue. And the fact that they played a bad team in the title. 

That Nebraska team led by Bradenton,FL native Tommie Frazier. They were unstoppable. 

Little tidbit about Frazier. He did something that will never be done again. He was the MVP of 3 straight national championship games. He won MVP in a loss vs FSU 

13 minutes ago, Canes1975 said:

Thank you!!!!!

Yea this is what I mean - as a Husker fan I would just have to agree.  It's amazing to look and back and think you could have Sean Taylor in the box to shadow Frazier (while Frazier was great obviously Reed eats him alive) with Ed Reed roaming FS (wtf how could these guy be on the same team).  That Miami team also multiple CB's who started in the NFL for good careers who could easily man up Nebraska's receiving corps with no safety help.  Now you have the front 7 on all out attack - Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, Wilfork at DT for the FB dive!  That defense is a goddamn nightmare to try and run option on - crazy to even think about it.  

The other crazy thing I realize is that on top of having Shockey and Andre Johnson as the top receiving targets, the back field was Portis, McGahee, Gore and Najeh Davenport - wtf man!   I have to say that backfield is even more juiced than the Huskers - of course Lawrence never got a chance to prove himself but if I'm not mistaken those 3 TB's were all pro bowlers at one time or another.  Granted, NFL talent doesn't make a college team however I played D1 football and I know what it means to have this type of NFL talent on one team.  I'll go far as to say we might not see it again in our lifetimes - its as if the whole team was in the NFL with multiple pro bowlers.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

Different era, but the 1972 USC Trojans were absolutely dominant. All 1st place votes in every single poll. 13 All-Americans and 33 future NFL players on that roster!

They were damn good. Won at #4 Arkansas 31-10, at #15 Stanford 30-21, at #14 UCLA 24-7; also beat #18 Washington 34-7, #10 Notre Dame 45-23, and finished the year beating #3 Ohio State in the Rose Bowl 42-17.

• Like 3

Christian Peter told me that they knew in 1995 they were in for the battle of their life vs Miami.  He said the offensive line talked over and over about how hard Sapp, Lewis and that defense were to block - he said it's as if they knew they were something special at the time.   Miami had some injuries on the dline (the Rock was starting due to it!)  but Christian said no doubt if Miami didn't gas they win.  Plus Miami had an awful QB and offense.    He said this was the best game is his career  because the coaches really challenged them and they all knew they were in for a dogfight.....what a great Nebraska win.

He said the opposite vs Florida the next year - said  oline was real confident and knew they could manhandle them.    

Miami vs Nebraska or Oklahoma were great college football rivalries because it's almost as if Miami was the only defense that could stop them

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Miami only beat V Tech by 2 points. That's their only issue. And the fact that they played a bad team in the title. 

That Nebraska team led by Bradenton,FL native Tommie Frazier. They were unstoppable. 

Little tidbit about Frazier. He did something that will never be done again. He was the MVP of 3 straight national championship games. He won MVP in a loss vs FSU 

Miami was the most talented team ever, not the best.

Nebraska was better coached and was machine. Also, more dominant than Miami (not a single victory of less than 14). 

Talent is an important component of quantifying greatness of past teams, but it’s not everything.