De La Salle vs. St. Francis

ServiteTier6Irrelevant

As an avid De La Salle fan, I will be taking my talents to Mountain View this weekend to view the heavyweight title fight between my De La Salle Spartans and the prestigious powerhouse that is the St. Francis Lancers.

A quick look at St. Francis: Currently #29 in the state, #276 Nationally, per Calpreps. I believe that ranking is a bit generous since the WCAL teams are now 2nd tier in NorCal. Hey, I am trying to be nice here!

Calpreps has the game 38-0 DLS, although is my Spartans can't put 40 on St. Francis, they are in big trouble against the Bishop!

My eyes will be on this game live but the Devil vs. Chaminade game on the stream, with a wink on my Servite squad on the game tracker.

Go Sparty!

• Thumbs Down 1

The St. Francis defense is actually pretty good, but their offense is very 1990s.  They usually run the I-formation, which will put them up directly against the Spartan defensive line. 

When they played last year, the Lancers actually were fairly close at the half, but the lack of a mobile QB killed them once DLS started getting pressure.  This year, the SF QB is somewhat more mobile, but we'll see. 

This will be a good test to see whether the Spartan offense really has improved as the Lancer D is certainly better than either Bishop O'Dowd or Central Catholic.  If DLS still can't pull away until late, then question marks may remain.

Overall, 35-0 -ish does sound about right.  I don't see the Lancers moving the ball all that effectively unless they've been sandbagging in their first two games and have some tricks up their sleeve.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cal 14 said:

The St. Francis defense is actually pretty good, but their offense is very 1990s.  They usually run the I-formation, which will put them up directly against the Spartan defensive line. 

When they played last year, the Lancers actually were fairly close at the half, but the lack of a mobile QB killed them once DLS started getting pressure.  This year, the SF QB is somewhat more mobile, but we'll see. 

This will be a good test to see whether the Spartan offense really has improved as the Lancer D is certainly better than either Bishop O'Dowd or Central Catholic.  If DLS still can't pull away until late, then question marks may remain.

Overall, 35-0 -ish does sound about right.  I don't see the Lancers moving the ball all that effectively unless they've been sandbagging in their first two games and have some tricks up their sleeve.

Wow! Great post! I am excited for this game, as I plan on getting down to Mountain View early.

Unfortunately, I don't think St. Francis will do much in this game. If my Spartans can't get 40 on St. Francis, there will be some folks scratching their heads. I am still upset about only getting 14-0 on bottom of the barrel Folsom!

• Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, ServiteTier6Irrelevant said:

Wow! Great post! I am excited for this game, as I plan on getting down to Mountain View early.

Unfortunately, I don't think St. Francis will do much in this game. If my Spartans can't get 40 on St. Francis, there will be some folks scratching their heads. I am still upset about only getting 14-0 on bottom of the barrel Folsom!

I wouldn't worry if they don't put of 40.  Just keep this in mind... during The Streak, the lowest points DLS scored in any of the 151 games were 21 and 14.  Both of those games were against St. Francis (1998 and 2002, respectively).  In fact, the Lancers were the only team(s) that kept the Spartans below 28 during that entire run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cal 14 said:

I wouldn't worry if they don't put of 40.  Just keep this in mind... during The Streak, the lowest points DLS scored in any of the 151 games were 21 and 14.  Both of those games were against St. Francis (1998 and 2002, respectively).  In fact, the Lancers were the only team(s) that kept the Spartans below 28 during that entire run.

Just a little worried about my Spartans offense.

I mean who puts up only 14 points on last place, overrated Folsom! They are a public school for christ sake! We need to show everyone who we are!!!!

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, ServiteTier6Irrelevant said:

Dude, just stop bro.  You're making NorCal look bad.  We are trying to get behind folsom since they go down to socal.  Please help us help you!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, AztecPadre said:

Dude, just stop bro.  You're making NorCal look bad.  We are trying to get behind folsom since they go down to socal.  Please help us help you!

Hey! No speak of the devil in here!

It's bad enough they are going to lite up the #10 team on SoCal this Friday! No more free publicity!

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, ServiteTier6Irrelevant said:

Just a little worried about my Spartans offense.

I mean who puts up only 14 points on last place, overrated Folsom! They are a public school for christ sake! We need to show everyone who we are!!!!

Didn’t they beat the spread by 31 v Folsom, who was ranked #1 in NorCal?

1 hour ago, Cal 14 said:

Not quite true

1993  beat Pitt 26-21

1995 beat Pitt 27-7

2002 beat Mitty 24-0

2003  beat pitt 26-0

2003 beat evangel Christian 27-10

i was always more impressed by their not allowing 40 in any game from Lad’s arrival (‘79) until 2014 SBG (which they won 63-42) and the only other two times are last 2 SBGs against the machines 

5 minutes ago, ServiteTier6Irrelevant said:

The devil held them to 14 points! I mean the devil! The last place suburban public school from hick town! C'mon pops!

I agree with Aztec — just stop 

come back on as a normal person 

you are not talented enough to out-sammy sammy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Pops said:

Not quite true

1993  beat Pitt 26-21

1995 beat Pitt 27-7

2002 beat Mitty 24-0

2003  beat pitt 26-0

2003 beat evangel Christian 27-10

i was always more impressed by their not allowing 40 in any game from Lad’s arrival (‘79) until 2014 SBG (which they won 63-42) and the only other two times are last 2 SBGs against the machines 

Ahhh, you're right.  My bad.  Interesting that none of those games involved SoCal teams. 😉

Still, CCS teams have historically played DLS closer than others in NorCal.  More close calls than any other NorCal section.  SF has typically held DLS under 40.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ararar said:

St Francis only beat Norte Dame (SO) by 11 points up north and then ND went home and lost to Moorpark...yes I said Moorpark.Cant See this as being much of a game

Moorpark has had some good teams in the past.  They're currently 2-0.  Who knows?  😜

DLS should win this, but the SF defense will be better than what they've seen in the last two games.

25 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Ahhh, you're right.  My bad.  Interesting that none of those games involved SoCal teams. 😉

Still, CCS teams have historically played DLS closer than others in NorCal.  More close calls than any other NorCal section.  SF has typically held DLS under 40.

WCAL has had 4 near misses on the NorCal streak in last 10 years (and usually gets one chance per year)

1. 2008 -- DLS trails by 7 with a couple of minutes left, scores, and fumbles the PAT snap. Fortunately for streak, holder was future Atlanta Falcon Teron Ward, who ran it in for 2 and 29-28 win.
  2. 2009 --- One week before DLS travelled to NJ to play MNC DBP, they warmed up with a 14-7 win over Serra, in which they trailed 7-0 at the half.
  3. 2011 -- Bellarmine held Sparty to one TD in regulation and just needed to execute a successful PAT in 1st OT to end streak.  Alas, they missed and Sparty won in 2 OTs.
  4. 2013 -- Serra was up 10 points with about 4 minutes to go and couldn't hang on.

WCAL has definitely been very pesky to Sparty over the years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Moorpark has had some good teams in the past.  They're currently 2-0.  Who knows?  😜

DLS should win this, but the SF defense will be better than what they've seen in the last two games.

I'm not looking, but I think this game was rated #3 by Massey on their "winning %" preseason.  I think it went something like:

1. BG. (33% chance)
  2. Folsom (52% chance)
  3. St. Francis (95% chance)

This is a game I feel much better about as game #4 than #1

54 minutes ago, ServiteTier6Irrelevant said:

The devil held them to 14 points! I mean the devil! The last place suburban public school from hick town! C'mon pops!

Tired and a bit pathetic to keep up this narrative.  Just be thankful for some good football and get your ass behind NorCal as they head down south. 

I'm sure the bylaws (Rule 483-Section 2b: Subsection 1.6 - 1.9 ) regarding a person(s) who resides in NorCal but doesn't, in good faith, stop the 'poor devil did the miraculous and held them to 14pts routine'.  I'm fairly confident the Comish and his extensive staff are looking into these bylaws at this moment and may even have come to a decision as to how to deal with your current disregard for the rules that have been put forth and voted on by the commission on said bylaws. 

Aztec and Pops both have intimate knowledge of our bylaws and have your and the forum's best interest in mind so please take the advice they offer bc the Comish might be less than lenient with this type of behavior. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

Tired and a bit pathetic to keep up this narrative.  Just be thankful for some good football and get your ass behind NorCal as they head down south. 

I'm sure the bylaws (Rule 483-Section 2b: Subsection 1.6 - 1.9 ) regarding a person(s) who resides in NorCal but doesn't, in good faith, stop the 'poor devil did the miraculous and held them to 14pts routine'.  I'm fairly confident the Comish and his extensive staff are looking into these bylaws at this moment and may even have come to a decision as to how to deal with your current disregard for the rules that have been put forth and voted on by the commission on said bylaws. 

Aztec and Pops both have intimate knowledge of our bylaws and have your and the forum's best interest in mind so please take the advice they offer bc the Comish might be less than lenient with this type of behavior. 

I hope @The Comish decides to show up. We are friends, uniting against the devil!

• Thumbs Down 2