Who's trending down

Belly Bob

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

I almost forgot.

Last year, DLS beat SJC.

So MD is trending down.

CBC is looking good against SJC.

So maybe MO is trending up.

But, on second thought, Colquitt beat Trinity of MO.

So I think that MO is trending down. 

And a Mexican all star team beat a US all star team, so the United states of north america is trending down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, old_e said:

It's not only one game that was taken in consideration. Prior to last year's BK bowl game, Bingham's losses in the bowl games were close on the score board. Last year they got embarrassed  by St Francis. 

This year, they had a one score win over a AZ team, 3 point win over an instate team and finally losing instate. Did Utah teams trend up to Bingham's level or did Bingham trend down to be equal with the rest of the Utes?

I was going to say this but with Nevada; no one's saying that Nevada's trending down because Liberty lost to Lone Peak but because Gorman started 1-3 against OOS competition, Arbor View losing to a sub-.500 Chandler Hamilton squad, and Faith Lutheran being cannon-fodder to a series of national opponents of varying acclaim.  While that's not the whole story (you can mix in wins by Arbor View, Liberty, and Gorman over Valencia, Saguaro, and Orem respectively) it's hard to ignore that the state that won three straight national titles and swiped a couple wins out of Texas a couple years earlier has to find solace in a series of second-tier wins.

With Arizona I don't think it's a matter of the on-field results changing but an overall change in perception.  What I mean is this-in 2017 there was NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that Chandler could beat Corona.  Sure they dished out a couple nice lashings to pretty obviously over-matched competition in back-to-back bowl games and were more competitive than expected in a couple high-profile OOS games, but big-picture this was a team that had proved to be far from invincible in their own state, arguably didn't play the next best team(s) in their state, and actually has a losing record versus OOS competition in non-bowl games (see losses to IMG, Corona, SJB, and Gorman versus the lone win in Denver against Valor in 2014).  Mountain Pointe's in a similar camp, with the exception that they have a win over Gorman under their belts and subsequently got fat roughing up teams from Reno, Bakersfield, and parts of the Inland Empire not named "Corona".  Then when they make a slight jump up in weight class to play Chaminade in 2017 they lose by two touchdowns.  Any change in result is less because of some visible downward trend for the state and more due to a gradual move away from second- or third-tier OOS schools to closer towards the big boy table.  

Utah is less about a downward trend than it is an evolution of who needs to be contended with; Bingham as an individual program may be trending down, but that's hard to avoid when the five-year old school the next district over (Corner Canyon...all "dibs" on knowing about this one first should be directed to ECHS) is starting to show that they may be able to string together some 10-win seasons with some sense of regularity.  There might come a point when Utah doesn't have a program that can compete on the national level, but in its place will be two or three different schools that have a say in that state's title conversations.

6 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I was going to say this but with Nevada; no one's saying that Nevada's trending down because Liberty lost to Lone Peak but because Gorman started 1-3 against OOS competition, Arbor View losing to a sub-.500 Chandler Hamilton squad, and Faith Lutheran being cannon-fodder to a series of national opponents of varying acclaim.  While that's not the whole story (you can mix in wins by Arbor View, Liberty, and Gorman over Valencia, Saguaro, and Orem respectively) it's hard to ignore that the state that won three straight national titles and swiped a couple wins out of Texas a couple years earlier has to find solace in a series of second-tier wins.

With Arizona I don't think it's a matter of the on-field results changing but an overall change in perception.  What I mean is this-in 2017 there was NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that Chandler could beat Corona.  Sure they dished out a couple nice lashings to pretty obviously over-matched competition in back-to-back bowl games and were more competitive than expected in a couple high-profile OOS games, but big-picture this was a team that had proved to be far from invincible in their own state, arguably didn't play the next best team(s) in their state, and actually has a losing record versus OOS competition in non-bowl games (see losses to IMG, Corona, SJB, and Gorman versus the lone win in Denver against Valor in 2014).  Mountain Pointe's in a similar camp, with the exception that they have a win over Gorman under their belts and subsequently got fat roughing up teams from Reno, Bakersfield, and parts of the Inland Empire not named "Corona".  Then when they make a slight jump up in weight class to play Chaminade in 2017 they lose by two touchdowns.  Any change in result is less because of some visible downward trend for the state and more due to a gradual move away from second- or third-tier OOS schools to closer towards the big boy table.  

Utah is less about a downward trend than it is an evolution of who needs to be contended with; Bingham as an individual program may be trending down, but that's hard to avoid when the five-year old school the next district over (Corner Canyon...all "dibs" on knowing about this one first should be directed to ECHS) is starting to show that they may be able to string together some 10-win seasons with some sense of regularity.  There might come a point when Utah doesn't have a program that can compete on the national level, but in its place will be two or three different schools that have a say in that state's title conversations.

Corner Canyon and SJB have a common opponent. IJS.

12 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I think you mean Centennial from Corona. 

29 minutes ago, old_e said:

I use Corona as short-hand for Corona Centennial because 1) Corona High itself is not nationally relevant; 2) as a Peoria Centennial grad identify with that school as "Centennial"; and 3) have an admittedly weird hang-up with non-abbreviation abbreviations  (i.e. the popular "Cen10"...to show I'm consistent in this matter I have always refused to refer to Arizona schools like Goldwater, Westwood, or Westview as GW/WW/WV because the names of those schools are one word and therefore don't fit standard abbreviation conventions). 

It's just the short-hand I'm most comfortable with and not intended as a slight; I welcome anyone who wishes to refer to "my" Centennial as Peoria if you prefer as apart from me Centennial football is the best thing Peoria has ever produced.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

[...]

IMG of FL beat East of UT.

So UT is trending down. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

4-3 Lone Peak of UT beat Bingham of UT.

So UT is trending down.

Lone Peak beat Liberty of NV.

So NV is trending down.

In 2016, Liberty of NV beat Westlake of TX.

So TX is trending down. 

In 2015, ET of TX beat DLS of CA.

So CA is trending down.

Cen10 of CA beat Chandler of AZ.

So AZ is trending down.

Last year, Chandler beat Northwestern of FL.

So FL is trending down. 

Wekiva of FL beat North Gwinnett.

So GA is trending down.

Least year, MD beat BC of NJ.

So NJ is trending down.

You’re just a big wiseass, so you’re trending down. 📉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

Always take into account the implied smiley face .... 🤓

And effluent is my word.

792ED59B-8747-4EF9-8203-6173CFA637A8.jpeg

It used to mean Folsom, but not any more.

I know. 

That's where I learned it.

Maybe effluent is different from water (I wouldn't know) but I've heard that water (just like high school football in every single state) naturally trends down (to the sea). 

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Me, the states, and your Tiers are all trending down.

You put SJC in tier 3 and MC in tier 2 about 8 days after SJC beat MC. 

Trending...

d

o

w

n

If it was only fellatio by a purty blonde....

Btw nice job on “down”, my mind went straight tumblr on it

BGW

• Haha 2