OT-Savants and Geniuses

AztecPadre

5 hours ago, noonereal said:

That's one hell of an assumption and I'd submit, completely in error. 

Really?

You think that it's logically impossible that the universe could have been any different than it is? 

You'd need one powerful argument to show that. You'd need to show that the claim that the universe might have been different than it is, or that it might not have been at all, entails a contradiction. 

Good luck. 

3 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Really?

You think that it's logically impossible that the universe could have been any different than it is? 

yes

depending on the definitions invoked 

if everything always was and always will be, (which it is obviously) the universe has to be anyway it ever is. 

It can't be altered but it is constantly different, infinitely different, although that concept is as illusive to understand as no beginning nor end. 

3 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

"Then if your brain can be split into two halves, A and B, then you would be identical to both A and B; that's absurd."

If the brain is split in to 2 halves, A and B, you can have 2 functioning thought processes going on at the same time and completely different from the other. One from one side of the brain and another from the opposite side. In some cases the patient is confused with his actions. As the example pointed out, the right hand buttons the shirt while the left unbutton's it right behind the hand buttoning it. I admit that the through process has gone wrong, but it still shows that there are 2 thought processes at the same time from what is now, basically, 2 brains. "So either you are not your mind or your mind is not your brain; but you are your mind; so your mind is not your brain." So if your mind is not your Brain you should have one mind with 2 brains, or 2 brains with one mind?

I didn't read the article. 

But this is what I was thinking. If your brain can be split into two halves, A and B, each of which functions independently of the other, then you could put A into one body and B into another. But you can't be both A and B. That's absurd. So you are not identical to your brain. Since you're identical to your mind, your mind can't be identical to your brain. 

But I think I get your point about the possibility of having one mind with two brains. I'm thinking that it's a mistake to think of the mind as "with" the brain. But there are puzzles here. And it's interesting. And I'd want to think about for more than a few minutes.

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

depending on the definitions invoked 

if everything always was and always will be, (which it is obviously) the universe has to be anyway it ever is. 

It can't be altered but it is constantly different, infinitely different, although that concept is as illusive to understand as no beginning nor end. 

I've given definitions.

It's plainly false that everything always was and always will be. You weren't always. And you won't always be.

Are you not something? 

Some things always were and always will be. It doesn't follow that everyone always was and always will be. That's a modal fallacy. 

Nor does it follow that if something always was and always will be, then it's impossible for it not to be. That's another modal fallacy. 

2 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

It's plainly false that everything always was and always will be. You weren't always. And you won't always be.

Are you not something? 

Nor does it follow that if something always was and always will be, then it's impossible for it not to be. That's another modal fallacy. 

OMG

You do not factor in CHANGE or TIME, if you will. 

Some things always were and always will be. It doesn't follow that everyone always was and always will be. That's a modal fallacy. 

You are doing it again. Claiming someone said something they did not.... then saying it's wrong! 

Drop the argumentative strategy and share thoughts. 

I think I see your error of thought. 

You are thinking very myopic  and discounting that each biological life form is part of a whole life force. A whole life force that I will define as more than just biological matter. Much more. You Insist that these are distinct entities and separate.   I covered this earlier in the thread. 

There is pnly one way to find out who the savants are on this site  

post you scores....b*tches 

Reaction time i got (309) top 33 %   (I'm retaking this one, probably laying in bed was not the best venue)

Number memory = top 83% 11 digits 

Verbal memory = top 85%. 66 points

visual memory = top 20% score 5350

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

You are doing it again. Claiming someone said something they did not.... then saying it's wrong! 

Drop the argumentative strategy and share thoughts. 

Listen, brother, we're not on an awkward first date. We're not trying to get to know each other. We're interested in what the truth is. I don't know a better way to get at it than to give and evaluate arguments.

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

I think I see your error of thought. 

You are thinking very myopic  and discounting that each biological life form is part of a whole life force. A whole life force that I will define as more than just biological matter. Much more. You Insist that these are distinct entities and separate.   I covered this earlier in the thread. 

I don't see how any of this is relevant to the question of whether the existence of the universe is a fact that requires explanation. 

20 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

1. If something is but needn't be, then there is a reason why it is. [Contingent truths require explanation.]

2. The universe exists but needn't. [The existence of the universe is a contingent truth; it's true that the universe exists, but it might not have, even it it's true that is has always existed and always will exist. A necessary truth, a non-contingent truth, is not the same thing as a truth that is true at every time; rather, it is something that is true and cannot possibly be false.]

3. Therefore, there is a reason why it is. 

#2 Is awesome.  Had to read it several times.  

I asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Who is the thinker of the thought?  

Where is spirit in the brain/mind relationship?  What about the astral plane, mental plane? What about the body's energy (chakra) centers?  What about those cases where split personalities, one can have diabetes and when other personality takes over, the diabetes instantly disappears? 

I've personally had experiences where ive actually experienced a future event (most amazing thing I've ever experienced).  I'm not crazy either and am dead serious.  I can tell you from experience that the mind is not a confined to the physical brain nor is it confined to space or time.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Who is the thinker of the thought?  

Where is spirit in the brain/mind relationship?  What about the astral plane, mental plane? What about the body's energy (chakra) centers?  What about those cases where split personalities, one can have diabetes and when other personality takes over, the diabetes instantly disappears? 

I've personally had experiences where ive actually experienced a future event (most amazing thing I've ever experienced).  I'm not crazy either and am dead serious.  I can tell you from experience that the mind is not a confined to the physical brain nor is it confined to space or time.  

This gets me thinking about things such as dejavu or when u get a "feeling" something is about to happen. I get dreams sometimes that are like you get on experiencing future events. And no not Nostradames like for the whole world just for my personal life.