How are your top Football powers faring in Basketball?

TheMaximumHornetSting

Colquitt County- 2-9.... Nuff said... 

Lee County 4-7 

Lowndes 6-7

Milton 6-5

Next game: @ West Ashley (SC)

Warner Robins 7-2

Next game:  @Mill Creek

Archer 6-6

Grayson 10-2

Next game: @ Wheeler(GA)

Buford 9-0 

Next game: @ Tennessee HS(Bristol,TN) Arby's Tournament. 

Mceachern 10-0 currently ranked #1 in the nation in a few polls. 

Wins over: Imhotep Charter(PA),Paul VI(VA),Wheeler(GA), Mountain Brook(AL),Miami Christian (FL)

Next game: @ Findlay Prep(Las Vegas,NV)

Norcross 9-3 

Next game: @ Salesian Prep(CA)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

For Georgia:

Rome(5A) is currently 7-3 with a local tournament win... They have the old Tift HC... 

Next game is in South GA at the New Year's Eve tournament in Thomasville against Brooks County. 

Just the Football team having some fun on the BBall Court.... we should have a shot at States

57 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

For Georgia:

Rome(5A) is currently 7-3 with a local tournament win... They have the old Tift HC... 

Next game is in South GA at the New Year's Eve tournament in Thomasville against Brooks County. 

The Georgia boys play some good basketball.  I've seen a couple teams at the Flying to the Hoop Tourney in Ohio the past few  years.

• Like 1

None of the top VA football teams are doing much in basketball...Highland Springs seems to be okay. The MaxPreps rankings for VA are all messed up, I think because Oak Hill's "Red Team" (which plays local schools) lost to Roanoke Catholic and it got entered as a loss for Oak Hill's real team.

DeMatha looks like the class of the WCAC now that PVI has suffered some major injuries. Gonzaga and SJC a step behind but still strong, Good Counsel is not a basketball school.

SFA one of the top teams in Baltimore but lost to MSJ.

1 hour ago, MA Fan said:

None of the top VA football teams are doing much in basketball...Highland Springs seems to be okay. The MaxPreps rankings for VA are all messed up, I think because Oak Hill's "Red Team" (which plays local schools) lost to Roanoke Catholic and it got entered as a loss for Oak Hill's real team.

DeMatha looks like the class of the WCAC now that PVI has suffered some major injuries. Gonzaga and SJC a step behind but still strong, Good Counsel is not a basketball school.

SFA one of the top teams in Baltimore but lost to MSJ.

DeMatha is ranked #6 in the U.S. by Max Preps and #7 by USA Today.  Their only loss was to a school they won’t play in football: IMG.  (A number of schools’ state associations won’t allow games with IMG including Texas). When Morgan was DeMatha’s coach he wouldn’t play Oak Hill either.  This year’s DeMatha team has the potential to be one of their best ever.  (and I go back to ‘64 and Kareem/Lou.  They play La Lumiere in February which is another IMG/Oak Hill/Findlay type “academy.”  If they can stay healthy (Paul VI lost a great player) DM will compete for the national title.  And, they don’t have a single transfer.  Starting five are all from the DC area.  Two five stars and a four star plus youth.

30 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha is ranked #6 in the U.S. by Max Preps and #7 by USA Today.  Their only loss was to a school they won’t play in football: IMG.  (A number of schools’ state associations won’t allow games with IMG including Texas). When Morgan was DeMatha’s coach he wouldn’t play Oak Hill either.  This year’s DeMatha team has the potential to be one of their best ever.  (and I go back to ‘64 and Kareem/Lou.  They play La Lumiere in February which is another IMG/Oak Hill/Findlay type “academy.”  If they can stay healthy (Paul VI lost a great player) DM will compete for the national title.  And, they don’t have a single transfer.  Starting five are all from the DC area.  Two five stars and a four star plus youth.

States not allowing teams to play certain opponents had an impact in some major tournaments last week--the Iolani Classic didn't have a real championship game because California teams couldn't play LaLumiere (it was okay for them to play Montverde, and they play independent Maryland schools too, so no idea what the rule is), and the City of Palms cancelled the third place game since Mountain Brook (AL) couldn't play Oak Hill, although IMG was fine.

I though a couple of DeMatha's key players transferred in last year? No big deal, they have good players transfer out too.

One of the three transferred at the start of his soph year from a local school,  the two five stars started in 9th grade.

iMG does not play in a state sanctioned season ending playoff (state or conference championship).  This was an action taken against their football team by a number of states which, I believe, includes TX, GA, and perhaps a half dozen or more others.

15 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

One of the three transferred at the start of his soph year from a local school,  the two five stars started in 9th grade.

iMG does not play in a state sanctioned season ending playoff (state or conference championship).  This was an action taken against their football team by a number of states which, I believe, includes TX, GA, and perhaps a half dozen or more others.

Nah GA lifted the IMG ban.... 

Alot of schools still won't play them but they can if they want too.... the options there. 

Norcross beat IMG this year (or last) in the GA vs FL border line tournament in Orlando... 

Norcross also has a home game vs Dematha next month.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Nah GA lifted the IMG ban.... 

Alot of schools still won't play them but they can if they want too.... the options there. 

Norcross beat IMG this year (or last) in the GA vs FL border line tournament in Orlando... 

Norcross also has a home game vs Dematha next month.

DeMatha is ranked #3 in USA Today’s new poll and La Lumiere is #1.  The game is 1/21 in Indiana.  Norcross is 1/5 in Wheeling, WV. DeMatha really does have a chance to win the national championship.  Team Takeover won the AAU national title this year with three DM players on it, two who started.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:22 AM, MA Fan said:

States not allowing teams to play certain opponents had an impact in some major tournaments last week--the Iolani Classic didn't have a real championship game because California teams couldn't play LaLumiere (it was okay for them to play Montverde, and they play independent Maryland schools too, so no idea what the rule is), and the City of Palms cancelled the third place game since Mountain Brook (AL) couldn't play Oak Hill, although IMG was fine.

I though a couple of DeMatha's key players transferred in last year? No big deal, they have good players transfer out too.

DM has one kid that transferred in after his freshman year at Rock Creek. He showed he could handle the academic requirements and has proven to be a great student at DM. 

DeMatha is hosting a very competitive Christmas tournament this weekend with some of the best teams in MD/DC like Wilson, Poly(beat SJC), Rock Creek, etc...It should be entertaining if anyone has some downtime. 

DM’s biggest win this season was in Texas against nationally ranked Guyer. They have several more tests coming up so we will see. In the WCAC, PVI is scrappy. They lost their two best players, but are always stacked with talent. The freshman PG is going to be somethibg else. I have a feeling Gonzaga is going to catch fire as the season goes on. They are very talented as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

DM has one kid that transferred in after his freshman year at Rock Creek. He showed he could handle the academic requirements and has proven to be a great student at DM. 

DeMatha is hosting a very competitive Christmas tournament this weekend with some of the best teams in MD/DC like Wilson, Poly(beat SJC), Rock Creek, etc...It should be entertaining if anyone has some downtime. 

DM’s biggest win this season was in Texas against nationally ranked Guyer. They have several more tests coming up so we will see. In the WCAC, PVI is scrappy. They lost their two best players, but are always stacked with talent. The freshman PG is going to be somethibg else. I have a feeling Gonzaga is going to catch fire as the season goes on. They are very talented as well. 

I thought another of DeMatha's starters transferred from St. Mary's-Ryken.

Gonzaga's roster lists four players from Ashburn. Maybe the new campus is going to work out well for PVI's basketball program.

10 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

I thought another of DeMatha's starters transferred from St. Mary's-Ryken.

Gonzaga's roster lists four players from Ashburn. Maybe the new campus is going to work out well for PVI's basketball program.

Good call. I forgot about the SMR kid. He’s very good and a great pick up for Charlotte. Either way, both kids are from PG county. I think Big Drop’s point is the WCAC teams are composed of local talent and very few transfers. 

I did not know that about the GZ roster. The more I think about it, once that metro line to Dulles/Ashburn is complete, Farello will figure out a way to get a handful of top basketball players to PVI. If anyone can do it, he can. PVI 2.0 is definitely an interesting topic. 

• Like 2