How are your top Football powers faring in Basketball?

TheMaximumHornetSting

31 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

DeMatha smoked Paul VI 78-57. Rematch is on Sunday, looking like the Stags have a decent chance of running the table but facing GZ/PVI/SJC in a five-day stretch will be a challenge.

In the Washington Post top 25 rankings of the metro area released today DeMatha has now beaten the teams ranked #2, #3, #4, #5 and #7.

DeMatha is #1.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, Ararar said:

SJB , MD, Centennial and Sierra Canyon made the 8 team Southern Section open division playoffs 

In addition JSerra, Orange Lutheran and  Santa Margarita very solid basketball programs.  Mission Viejo solid (top coach returned after a few years off, but not in the same class as the Trinity League schools.

Toughest leagues in southern section bb are in the Trinity, Mission, Gold Coast and Baseline leagues.  CC, Rancho Christian, Bishop Montgomery are top level teams in leagues that aren't as strong.

Seems like top players still play HSBB in CA (and don't generally go the prep route)-any reasons why this seems to be the case?

On 12/26/2018 at 1:59 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Grayson 10-2

You either were looking at an out of date record or just region.  Last I looked the boys were 20-3 and #2 in state and the girls were something like 19-3 (maybe, senior moment) and #12 in state.

I'll look it up and edit this once I do.

Edit - Boys 22-3 over all, 9-1 region, top seed going into region tournament starting Friday, #2 in state, 84 in Maxpreps national ranking.

5 hours ago, Fred said:

You either were looking at an out of date record or just region.  Last I looked the boys were 20-3 and #2 in state and the girls were something like 19-3 (maybe, senior moment) and #12 in state.

I'll look it up and edit this once I do.

Edit - Boys 22-3 over all, 9-1 region, top seed going into region tournament starting Friday, #2 in state, 84 in Maxpreps national ranking.

That was the record at the time I looked. Which was old. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

My Carmel Padres battle St Marys (Stockton) in the first round of the NorCal state playoffs, tomorrow.  The Rams are a private with 5 times the enrollment of my Pads.  Oh woe is us!!!  @ThunderRam any info you can give me on the Rams would be much appreciated.  

I wish I could bro. I don't follow HS hoops as I do the gridiron. I know Sheldon has been our areas top team for some time, but not much more than that. The only thing I know about St. Mary's is that their girls b-ball team is a perennial State power. No clue on the boys team.

Good luck, though. I hope Carmel pulls off the W.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I wish I could bro. I don't follow HS hoops as I do the gridiron. I know Sheldon has been our areas top team for some time, but not much more than that. The only thing I know about St. Mary's is that their girls b-ball team is a perennial State power. No clue on the boys team.

Good luck, though. I hope Carmel pulls off the W.

I have looked around on the boards to find what I could, but not much on the boys team.  Oh well.  Thanks brother.

11 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I have looked around on the boards to find what I could, but not much on the boys team.  Oh well.  Thanks brother.

Did you check the basketball board on NCP? If you post something there, I'm sure someone could give you some info. Larry Legend posts there a lot and seems to follow HS hoops religiously. IDK if Bulldogmgc (the resident St. Mary's football guy) folllows or posts anything about the b-ball team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Did you check the basketball board on NCP? If you post something there, I'm sure someone could give you some info. Larry Legend posts there a lot and seems to follow HS hoops religiously. IDK if Bulldogmgc (the resident St. Mary's football guy) folllows or posts anything about the b-ball team.

Just started reading on there.  Lots of info.  Thanks brother. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I think another guy that posts a lot is Kidman?

On a side note, it looks like DLS and Carondelet won NCS on Friday

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Oscar Smith is in the VA semifinals. They've become a decent basketball program even though they couldn't hold on to Cam Thomas.

SJC lost to Sidwell Friends--who is definitely not a football power--in the DCSAA semis. Next weekend is the Alhambra Tournament in Frostburg, MD with DeMatha, Gonzaga, SJC, SFA, and other DC/Baltimore Catholic powers.