“Politically Incorrect” High School Mascots

The Colonel

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2019 at 11:03 PM, Nolebull813 said:

You notice that the majority, of not all changed their names in the 2000’s 

such a damn shame. 

I'm offended by the name used by Wharton

The Wharton wildcats, I was once attacked by a wildcat and am offended they would take the name of the vile beast who attacked me, they need to change their name, maybe to the Wharton L's to symbolize how many of their seasons go 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm offended by the name used by Wharton

The Wharton wildcats, I was once attacked by a wildcat and am offended they would take the name of the vile beast who attacked me, they need to change their name, maybe to the Wharton L's to symbolize how many of their seasons go 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

From 1970-2020 Columbia and Wharton are tied for State Championships 

In 50 years they have both won the same amount of titles. 

Sounds like Columbia needs to change their name for being offensive to the real winners of the sport. All the Tiger teams who have won titles are offended that Columbia would use their mascot and associate with them. 

😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

From 1970-2020 Columbia and Wharton are tied for State Championships 

In 50 years they have both won the same amount of titles. 

Sounds like Columbia needs to change their name for being offensive to the real winners of the sport. All the Tiger teams who have won titles are offended that Columbia would use their mascot and associate with them. 

😂😂😂😂

Only I can name plenty of tiger programs who have never even played for a Championship 

But hey I still think mine was better since you basically just recycled mine, try again once you find something more original 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

If it means anything, I still find Washington's NFL team name offensive. It offends any team that knows how to play football. 

How is it offensive for pointing out a fact in the description of their mascot? You can literally find any issue with any mascot if you dig deep enough. 

8 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

How is it offensive for pointing out a fact in the description of their mascot? You can literally find any issue with any mascot if you dig deep enough. 

I'm not going to comment on that. I will comment that Washington just switched their name from something offensive to something even more offensive.

• Thanks 1

I cannot find the article but some of the guys from NJ/NY area might remember back in the 1990's there was an all-white Jewish basketball team and they called themselves the "Brooklyn Jews".  I want to say 98 or 99 sometime??

they were no where near professionals and might have been a local "borough" team but they made a trip into the Poconos PA for a pickup tourny.

4 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

I cannot find the article but some of the guys from NJ/NY area might remember back in the 1990's there was an all-white Jewish basketball team and they called themselves the "Brooklyn Jews".  I want to say 98 or 99 sometime??

they were no where near professionals and might have been a local "borough" team but they made a trip into the Poconos PA for a pickup tourny.

That wouldn’t surprise me.  I recall reading a couple articles on the history of Jews and basketball. They really owned the sport for decades from the early 1900’s till the start of the NBA. There was a South Philadelphia Hebrew Association League that had teams on the east coast. I think the Cleveland team was called the “Rosenblums”.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

That wouldn’t surprise me.  I recall reading a couple articles on the history of Jews and basketball. They really owned the sport for decades from the early 1900’s till the start of the NBA. There was a South Philadelphia Hebrew Association League that had teams on the east coast. I think the Cleveland team was called the “Rosenblums”.

The 1950 CCNY team that won the 1950 NCAA and NIT in the same year was comprised of Jewish and African-American players.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Colonel said:

Dolph, and son Danny, Schayes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Colonel said:

I thought I had read years ago that the Warriors' original name when they were in Philly was the Hebrew Warriors but have not been able to verify that online apart from their pretty distinct ties to earlier teams affiliated with the YMHA and other Jewish organizations in Philadelphia prior to the formation of the NBA.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I thought I had read years ago that the Warriors' original name when they were in Philly was the Hebrew Warriors but have not been able to verify that online apart from their pretty distinct ties to earlier teams affiliated with the YMHA and other Jewish organizations in Philadelphia prior to the formation of the NBA.

I think you’re right. The same coach (Eddie Gottlieb) that coached the South Philly Hebrew League Warriors team, coached them briefly when they moved to the ABL, and then became the GM for the Philadelphia Warriors when they were a new franchise for the Basketball Association of America before the league became the NBA.

• Like 2