DLS of CA vs. ECA of LA

Belly Bob

I still like what the ECA coach said to one of his assistants right after the first play.  It was something along the lines of "I can't believe they did a corner blitz on the first play".  The assistant said "Um, those were the ends".

The coach admitted that his next thought was "We're in trouble".

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Not sure what this flash from the past is suppose to represent?

Best OOS win in DLS history, I guess.  Beating 4-loss Evangel.

Kinda weird though that the QB everyone wanted to see in that game (Evangel 5* QB, John David Booty) enrolled at USC (a California school) early and and didn't even make the trip. Some things just don't work out. You ever see Booty play at Evangel, belly? He was very good. 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, RedZone said:

Kinda weird though that the QB everyone wanted to see in that game (Evangel 5* QB, John David Booty) enrolled at USC (a California school) early and and didn't even make the trip. Some things just don't work out. You ever see Booty play at Evangel, belly? He was very good. 

Stop it with the nonsense. 

Booty wasn't there, but ECA were still the runners-up at the highest classification in LA that year. What's more, DLS's D1-bound QB was injured early in the 2Q. It was a good win for DLS against a good opponent. Their best OOS wins were probably against BG or SJC.

I never saw Booty in HS but watched him at USC. Obviously ECA would have been better off if they had had their star QB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Booty wasn't there, but ECA were still the runner-ups at the highest classification in LA that year.

Yeah, I remember the year very well....they beat us (Rummel) 7-5 in the 2nd round of the 5A playoffs...😄

Shame, shame....should have won that game, had the chances. Plenty of them.

DLS won the MNC that year.....I believe that was the last time they won a "MNC human poll".....nice team.

• Like 2

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/poll/2003-super25.htm

1. De La Salle, Concord, Calif. (13-0)

Previous: 1. Result: Won CIF-North Coast 4A East Bay championship.

2. Don Bosco Prep, Ramsey, N.J. (11-0)

Previous: 2. Result: d. Bergen Catholic (Oradell) 14-13 to win Parochial 4 state championship.

3. St. Joseph's Prep, Philadelphia (12-0)

Previous: 3. Result: Won Philadelphia Catholic League Red Division championship.

4. Independence, Charlotte (16-0)

Previous: 4. Result: Won Class 4AA state championship.

5. North Shore, Galena Park, Texas (15-0)

Previous: 14. Result: d. then-No. 7 The Woodlands 23-7 in Class 5A Division I state championship.

6. Elder, Cincinnati (14-1)

Previous: 6. Result: Won Division I state championship.

7. Carmel, Mundelein, Ill. (14-0)

Previous: 9. Result: Won Division I state championship.

8. North Penn, Lansdale, Pa. (15-0)

Previous: 10. Result: Won PIAA Class AAAA state championship.

9. South Panola, Batesville, Miss. (15-0)

Previous: 11. Result: Won Class 5A state championship.

10. Carol City, Fla. (14-1)

Previous: 12. Result: d. Edgewater (Orlando) 13-0 in Class 6A state championship.

11. J.W. North, Riverside, Calif. (14-0)

Previous: 13. Result: d. Norco 50-7 in CIF-Southern Section, Division V championship.

12. Camden County, Kingsland, Ga. (15-0)

Previous: 17. Result: d. Valdosta 21-7 in Class 5A state final.

13. Blue Springs, Mo. (13-0)

Previous: 16. Result: Won Class 6 state championship.

14. DeMatha, Hyattsville, Md. (12-0)

Previous: 15. Result: Won Washington Catholic Athletic Conference championship.

15. Montgomery Bell Academy, Nashville (11-1)

Previous: 18. Result: Won Division II-AA state championship.

16. Detroit Catholic Central, Redford, Mich. (13-1)

Previous: 19. Result: Won Division 1 state championship.

17. Hahnville, Boutte, La. (15-0)

Previous: Not ranked. Result: d. Evangel Christian Academy (Shreveport) 41-35 in Class 5A state championship.

18. Katy, Texas (15-1)

Previous: Not ranked. Result: d. then No. 8 Southlake Carroll 16-15 in Class 5A final.

19. Southlake (Texas) Carroll (15-0)

Previous: 8. Result: lost 16-15 to Katy in Class 5A Division II state final.

20. The Woodlands, Texas (14-1)

Previous: 7. Result: Lost to then No. 14 North Shore (Galena Park) 23-7 in Class 5A Division I state championship.

21. Kahuku, Hawaii (14-0)

Previous: 20. Result: Won Division I state championship.

22. Warren Central, Indianapolis (13-2)

Previous: 21. Result: Won Class 5A state championship.

23. Clovis East, Clovis, Calif. (12-1)

Previous: 22. Result: Won CIF-Central Section Yosemite Large school championship.

24. Mission Viejo, Calif. (13-1)

Previous: 5. Result: Lost to Hart (Newhall) 23-7 in CIF-Southern Section, Division II championship.

25. Miami (Fla.) Northwestern, Miami (12-1)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

that would have been a whole different game with Booty at quarterback.  Not sure if the outcome would have been different but the game itself would certainly have been much closer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

that would have been a whole different game with Booty at quarterback.  Not sure if the outcome would have been different but the game itself would certainly have been much closer.

Would possibly have been a little closer game had Geoff Nixon not been ruled ineligible a couple weeks before the season started too....that was the big blow.

Geoff Nixon was Evangel's guy after Booty booted to USC......Evangel was really discombobulated at QB early. Ended up putting a WR at QB. Not the best fit in that system. He turned out ok, but they weren't same team.

McKinney, TX QB ineligible at Evangel 
August 7, 2003 -- The Louisiana High School Athletic Association ruled today that former McKinney North quarterback Geoff Nixon, who left the North Texas high school last spring to enroll at Shreveport (La.) Evangel Christian, will not be eligible to play for the Eagles during his senior season this fall. 

The Louisiana High School Athletic Association made Evangel aware of the decision but did not provide a press release. 

Should Nixon depart Evangel for another high school, it would mark his fourth in a four-year span. Nixon grew up in Plano, moved to Celina where he was schooled until midway through his freshman season, when he transferred into the McKinney school district. 

The 6-foot, 180-pound Nixon, who started for coach Shawn Pratt at North last season (1,857 yards and 15 TDs), enrolled at Evangel last May and played in the Eagles' spring game and throughout their summer 7-on-7 schedule. Nixon arrived in Shreveport just days after senior-to-be quarterback John David Booty announced he was graduating from Evangel early to enroll at Southern Cal. 

43 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Enjoyed the video.

Can you post the Canyon game too?  I've been having trouble finding that tape

To me, Canyon beating DLS wasn’t an upset. Rankings wise it was but football wise, it wasn’t. I knew DLS wasn’t near as good as their ranking, never should have been close to #1. That’s a case where a team was ranked based on past accomplishments, never should have happened..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DLS350 said:

To me, Canyon beating DLS wasn’t an upset. Rankings wise it was but football wise, it wasn’t. I knew DLS wasn’t near as good as their ranking, never should have been close to #1. That’s a case where a team was ranked based on past accomplishments, never should have happened..

That’s nocal’s/DLS MO. They beat every team easily that they have never played or won’t play, and have a whole lot of excuse thread material when they actually do play and lose.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, DLS350 said:

I agree.

According to 247sports' archive, DLS had exactly one prospect in the four years between 2005 and 2008, a 3-star kid who went on to play at Washington State. Prior to the 2004-2005 season, pollsters noted that there was a significant drop in individual talent at DLS, but given their accomplishments, those same pollsters had DLS as the preseason No 1.

In 2006, they had picked up wins against Elder of OH (in OH) and MV. But that Elder team would go 6-4 and MV would go 9-3, losing to MD and SM. Those were good wins for DLS, but they probably looked better than they really were at the time. It's hard to believe that DLS were ranked No. 1 when they didn't have a single prospect on the field. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 AM, Bestcoast said:

That’s nocal’s/DLS MO. They beat every team easily that they have never played or won’t play, and have a whole lot of excuse thread material when they actually do play and lose.

Speaking of MO, yours is getting real old.. Move on!

Or I could say, you’re so negative towards Norcal and DLS, what team do you follow, what have they done and who have they beaten?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Doubt it. Unless Booty could play defense, Spartans could score almost at will except for turnovers. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Stop it with the nonsense. 

Booty wasn't there, but ECA were still the runner-ups at the highest classification in LA that year. What's more, DLS's D1-bound QB was injured early in the 2Q. It was a good win for DLS against a good opponent. Their best OOS wins were probably against BG or SJC.

I never saw Booty in HS but watched him at USC. Obviously ECA would have been better off if they had had their star QB.

In week 4 2003, 7-4 Longview beat Evangel 46-23.

22 hours ago, DLS350 said:

To be fair,  though,  Dela was better earlier in season and were given the ranking when they went to Ohio and were perceived  the best team there by some of the pollsters. They had some other high ranked teams play before dela at Ohio,  By the time Canyon game happened, it was clear in NCS playoffs that  DELA was not the same. The entire o-line had acl problems and some others were really hurt, namely their top defender. That o-line had no push like they had earlier.  That was a year where they didn't finish strong or at their best. Canyon deserved the win, but I can't say that canyon was a better team. Where did Canyon finish in rankings, do you know ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

To be fair,  though,  Dela was better earlier in season and were given the ranking when they went to Ohio and were perceived  the best team there by some of the pollsters. They had some other high ranked teams play before dela at Ohio,  By the time Canyon game happened, it was clear in NCS playoffs that  DELA was not the same. The entire o-line had acl problems and some others were really hurt, namely their top defender. That o-line had no push like they had earlier.  That was a year where they didn't finish strong or at their best. Canyon deserved the win, but I can't say that canyon was a better team. Where did Canyon finish in rankings, do you know ? 

You are correct, I do remember reading that after the Elder game. That many who attended all the games believed that DLS was the best team at the Herbstreit Classic. I was unaware of the injuries though.

18 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Doubt it. Unless Booty could play defense, Spartans could score almost at will except for turnovers. 

You have a 5-star quarterback missing and you don't think the score would have been differeent???  Booty could have put that ball all over the field as opposed to Dunn or whoever it was.  The score would not have been 27-10.  DLS might not have scored anymore than they did b/c Booty would not have been on defense but ECA's offensive output would have most certainly been more/better/etc...

Question would have been:  could DLS defense have done enough to stop Booty from taking control of the game.

• Like 1