The best 55 sports movies of all-time, ranked

paladin4ever

20 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

i don't necessarily agree with the placement...but, everyone of these movies is solid....and the ones that didn't make the list are tremendous as well.

https://expo.nj.com/sports/g66l-2019/06/7b31455dde4701/the-best-55-sports-movies-of-alltime-ranked.html

Yeah 

placement suspect but good list 

Remember the Titans is my go to rewatch 

when I was a kid, Pride of the Yankees with Gary cooper playing Lou Gehrig, was tops for me 

2 hours ago, mje44 said:

How is FNL #31? This speech still gives me chills

Never understood why this movie was so underappreciated... 

Honestly seems like a good placement on the list. Some great movies in there. Good movie, but not great by any means. The book was much better.Just like any movie made from a book they just won’t compare. 

25 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Agreed ,a lot of the placements are way out of whack.  Bunch of great movies tho.  Never did see slap shot.  Maybe because I'm not a hockey fan?

Don't have to be a hockey fan to enjoy this one. Paul Newman does a nice acting job and the Hanson Bros. are hilarious. If you like comedy this movie is it. A lot of funny lines in this movie. Watch the uncut version. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Growing up, I think my favorite would be The Natural. That moment when the old ball player, (Robert Redford) bleeding through his jersey, smacks that homerun into the lights and sparks fly as he trots around the bases... Epic. 

Depending on mood and criteria, there is a lot of great sports movies and many or most are listed in there. 

Good list.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

One of the best that was missed was When The Game Stands Tall. Dumb not to include.

Padre. I hope you are kidding on this one. It killed 2 hours for entertainment, but was quite lacking. Same as FNL, if you read the book and know the story then the movie is not as good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Padre. I hope you are kidding on this one. It killed 2 hours for entertainment, but was quite lacking. Same as FNL, if you read the book and know the story then the movie is not as good.

The book was way better, but considering some that made this list, there is no doubt it belongs in the top 55 for gosh sakes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Growing up, I think my favorite would be The Natural. That moment when the old ball player, (Robert Redford) bleeding through his jersey, smacks that homerun into the lights and sparks fly as he trots around the bases... Epic. 

Depending on mood and criteria, there is a lot of great sports movies and many or most are listed in there. 

Good list.

I am with you on this!!!... My son and I watch the Natural almost once a month... The part that gets me the most is when he is playing catch with his son on the Farm in the end.... And the great line “God I Love Baseball”....

My question is where’s Rocky???.... Not only a great sports movie but one of the best of all time.... Did I miss it on there?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I think like @AztecPadre is right it should be on the list, after my son saw it he wanted to be a DLS Football Player for about a year!!!... Then Baseball took over for him... 🤣🤣

However I do agree with you that having read all the books and watched all the games, I didn’t like the way they “Hollywooded” up the story... The TK stuff was great, but there was just too much that was so not DLS.... The fans chanting “Streak, Streak, Streak” was absolutely just awful because in reality, no one (fans) really even cared that much about “The Streak”....🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

Like most lists like this, it's pretty awful. So I won't focus on the order since it's all so subjective.

That said, I was glad to see some very unheralded movies included such as 'Necessary Roughness', 'The Best of Times', 'Fever Pitch', 'The Program', and 'Varsity Blues'.

As others have said, not having 'Vision Quest' mentioned is a very ridiculous oversight.

We can argue whether billiards is a sport, but since they included auto and horse racing-based movies in the list, then other major oversights would be 'The Hustler' and its sequel 'Color of Money'.

55 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I couldn't care less about the book. Friday Night Lights is a fantastic movie regardless.

But you're spot on about the DLS movie. It wasn't completely awful, but not really good either. As you said, very lacking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mje44 said:

How is FNL #31? This speech still gives me chills

Never understood why this movie was so underappreciated... 

Yeah, and he has 'The Waterboy' and "Talledega Nights' ranked higher. Honestly, I think this person determined their list randomly via a ping pong hopper.

I've always appreciated Al Pacino's speech in 'Any Given Sunday', but that was really the only high point of that movie. No chance it's top 10, let alone 3 or above a movie such as FNL. Yes, it's subjective opinion, but I believe you'll find that FNL is held in much higher regard among the majority of cinephiles.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I couldn't care less about the book. Friday Night Lights is a fantastic movie regardless.

But you're spot on about the DLS movie. It wasn't completely awful, but not really good either. As you said, very lacking.

That was my point about FNL, knowing some of the story and history I just expected more. I defiantly didn’t dislike FNL the movie, it was good, but not great IMO. I guess my expectations were just higher for it. When the game stands tall I thought was not very good IMO, but I really enjoyed the book