6/22 DLS Passing Tounrey

Blueliner

Teams:

DLS, Pitt, Cardinal Newman, Downey, Monterey Trail, Siena, Serra-San Mateo, Central Catholic

The order of who did the best in my opinion:

DLS, Cardinal Newman, Serra, Pitt, Downey, Central Catholic, Siena, Monterey Trail

Quick hits:

CN looked pretty good on both sides of the ball as well. Lots of skill guys. One WR in particular that stood out. They've got a really good QB with a great throw. They always look like this. If CN could ever get line play like DLS, they could be at least a regionally solid team. 

Serra might be onto something this year (at least on offense). Strong QB with plenty of skill guys to catch the rock. They were in a pretty good shootout with DLS that DLS ultimately won.

Pitt is Pitt. They look exactly the same every single year. Fast and athletic. QB will be a question mark for them as usual. They've got a kid that's about 6-3 but a little skinny. Looks raw, needs to work on his motion, but there's potential there I think. Coaching!

Central Catholic, to me, just needs a QB. Physically, those kids looked bigger than everyone and as fast as any team. But their QBs underperformed all morning. What you say, Russ?

The rest were as expected. 

DLS:

1st Offense:

QB - Hale, Center - Puckett

RB - Garrett, Coby, Berry

TE - Reid

WR - Daley, Hearns, McAdoo, Bianchina, Tre Dean

Seastrand (TE) and Norfleet (RB) were there but did not play. Both looked to be without significant injury. Both look to have grown a lot.1

1st Defense:

LBs - Puckett, Reid, Hackett

DBs - Garrett (FS), Bianchina (Spartan), Hearns and Coby at the corners. (Daley and McAdoo, Ellis, Majekweski (sp), and Dean saw time with the firsts)

So let's get on with it. Hale has grown (6-0 180-185) and looks tough. His body is muscular and possesses a strong arm. He threw a couple deep outs to Dean and Daley that were money. The coaches teased us a little with some sprint outs, and it's clear (to me) that this will be a strategy on offense. His ability to throw accurately on the run is going to be a serious problem for defenses because he's fast and can pull it down and run just as easy.The backup Odell, was quite impressive as well. Certainly a pleasant surprise to me. He's got a pretty strong arm and is very accurate. He'll be a solid backup if (God forbid) something were to happen to Hale. Expect Hale to have a really good season. Puckett is the center. He looks to be about 6-1 230 ish. Looks like a beast, though. 

WRs are going to be really good by DLS standards. Daley is a natural at that position. Runs great routes, has good speed, and catches anything near him. Hearns has a elite speed, but doesn't look like he grew that much unfortunately. But he's got good hands, and like Garrett has that breakaway ability to turn short passes into long gains. McAdoo and Dean certainly grew. Both look like they're easily over 6 feet. Both have good hands, especially Dean. He's also got good timing and jumping ability. he demonstrated that a couple of times. Excited about this group. They did well for the most part today. 

RBs will be a strength. We know that Coby and Garrett can run, but they've got GREAT hands. DLS will definitely be trying to get the ball to these kids in space. They were both lined up in the slot on many occasions. Garrett had a couple of really nice catch and runs for TDs. Hale, Coby, Garrett will be a formidable backfield in my opinion. Hopefully, Norfleet pans out because he'll give the backfield some serious size. He "looks" the part (like a man), but he didn't play so we'll see. 

DBs will be just fine. I don't think they'll drop off much from last year...if at all. I just don't like that three of the four will be going both ways. But like at receiver, they've got a plenty of depth. They had a good day. Had about 10 ints through all games. 

LBs....We'll obviously have to wait and see with this group. Puckett was surprisingly moved to MLB (at least for today). He gives them good size and toughness at that position if that's the case. I expected him to be a starting DE. He's a player that DLS has been high on so we'll see how he assimilates to that position. They were ok at best today, but it was a 7 on 7 so we'll have to next month at the Jamboree how they look. Not a lot after those 3 guys either. Nothing today eased my concerns at this position. 😞

DLS will hold their own against STA in my opinion. They will score points, I have no doubt. But I'm not sure how their defense is going to handle the sheer size and the number of athletes that STA will put out there on offense. I think the overall lack of size and experience for DLS on that side of the ball is going to be problem. Against the rest of their schedule they'll be good, but STA and the Open rep will, once again, be huge challenges. 

Thoughts? Questions?

• Thanks 6
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, old_e said:

You have Downey on the list twice.

Central Catholic usually is a running team so not looking well in passing league is not suprising. 

Its gonna be hard to run on STA. Hale is gonna have to be in midseason form to pull off the upset.  

Agreed. This is going to be all about Hale and how he performs in a week 0 game against an elite opponent. He's the only player on DLS that can make a REAL difference against these elite teams. Without him, or a QB of that caliber to run the veer, they'd have no chance. Their chances are only about 35-65 or so as it is. 

That makes sense about CC. Those were some big kids. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Let’s cut to the chase shall we... 

Are you an insider?!   :)

Good info, thx.  Another advantage for DLS thinking of the 2 way players... good number of ESPN (a word from our sponsors) tv timeouts.  

Yep. I agree. I'm almost certain that had to be involved in the decision to play STA. Play them at home with no humidity, and have a 2 hour game turned into a 3 hour game due to ESPN coverage. And it'll be like 5 in the morning ET when the game is over.

LOL! I'm just  priming the excuse thread 🙂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Teams:

DLS, Pitt, Cardinal Newman, Downey, Monterey Trail, Siena, Serra-San Mateo, Central Catholic

DLS, Cardinal Newman, Serra, Pitt, Downey, Central Catholic, Downey, Siena, Monterey Trail

Quick hits:

CN looked pretty good on both sides of the ball as well. Lots of skill guys. One WR in particular that stood out. They've got a really good QB with a great throw. They always look like this. If CN could ever get line play like DLS, they could be at least a regionally solid team. 

Serra might be onto something this year (at least on offense). Strong QB with plenty of skill guys to catch the rock. They were in a pretty good shootout with DLS that DLS ultimately won.

Pitt is Pitt. They look exactly the same every single year. Fast and athletic. QB will be a question mark for them as usual. They've got a kid that's about 6-3 but a little skinny. Looks raw, needs to work on his motion, but there's potential there I think. Coaching!

Central Catholic, to me, just needs a QB. Physically, those kids looked bigger than everyone and as fast as any team. But their QBs underperformed all morning. What you say, Russ?

DLS:

1st Offense:

TE - Reid

Seastrand (TE) and Norfleet (RB) were there but did not play. Both looked to be without significant injury. Both look to have grown a lot.1

1st Defense:

DBs - Garrett (FS), Bianchina (Spartan), Hearns and Coby at the corners. (Daley and McAdoo, Ellis, Majekweski (sp), and Dean saw time with the firsts)

So let's get on with it. Hale has grown (6-0 180-185) and looks tough. His body is muscular and possesses a strong arm. He threw a couple deep outs to Dean and Daley that were money. The coaches teased us a little with some sprint outs, and it's clear (to me) that this will be a strategy on offense. His ability to throw accurately on the run is going to be a serious problem for defenses because he's fast and can pull it down and run just as easy.The backup Odell, was quite impressive as well. Certainly a pleasant surprise to me. He's got a pretty strong arm and is very accurate. He'll be a solid backup if (God forbid) something were to happen to Hale. Expect Hale to have a really good season. Puckett is the center. He looks to be about 6-1 230 ish. Looks like a beast, though. 

WRs are going to be really good by DLS standards. Daley is a natural at that position. Runs great routes, has good speed, and catches anything near him. Hearns has a elite speed, but doesn't look like he grew that much unfortunately. But he's got good hands, and like Garrett has that breakaway ability to turn short passes into long gains. McAdoo and Dean certainly grew. Both look like they're easily over 6 feet. Both have good hands, especially Dean. He's also got good timing and jumping ability. he demonstrated that a couple of times. Excited about this group. They did well for the most part today. 

RBs will be a strength. We know that Coby and Garrett can run, but they've got GREAT hands. DLS will definitely be trying to get the ball to these kids in space. They were both lined up in the slot on many occasions. Garrett had a couple of really nice catch and runs for TDs. Hale, Coby, Garrett will be a formidable backfield in my opinion. Hopefully, Norfleet pans out because he'll give the backfield some serious size. He "looks" the part (like a man), but he didn't play so we'll see. 

DBs will be just fine. I don't think they'll drop off much from last year...if at all. I just don't like that three of the four will be going both ways. But like at receiver, they've got a plenty of depth. They had a good day. Had about 10 ints through all games. 

We'll obviously have to wait and see with this group. Puckett was surprisingly moved to MLB (at least for today). He gives them good size and toughness at that position if that's the case. I expected him to be a starting DE. He's a player that DLS has been high on so we'll see how he assimilates to that position. They were ok at best today, but it was a 7 on 7 so we'll have to next month at the Jamboree how they look. Not a lot after those 3 guys either. Nothing today eased my concerns at this position. 😞

DLS will hold their own against STA in my opinion. They will score points, I have no doubt. But I'm not sure how their defense is going to handle the sheer size and the number of athletes that STA will put out there on offense. I think the overall lack of size and experience for DLS on that side of the ball is going to be problem. Against the rest of their schedule they'll be good, but STA and the Open rep will, once again, be huge challenges. 

Thoughts? Questions?

Just talked to his mom. She said he played real well today but they were using backup a lot to get him some work. 

Dalton is a stud man. He is the best athlete on team. Did you see him play? Already signed d1 baseball but getting football D1 offers also. 

CC  didn’t lose a game? And they beat DLS?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Just talked to his mom. She said he played real well today but they were using backup a lot to get him some work. 

Dalton is a stud man. He is the best athlete on team. Did you see him play? Already signed d1 baseball but getting football D1 offers also. 

CC  didn’t lose a game? And they beat DLS?

I saw Central play twice. Once against DLS and once against Serra. Serra and DLS won both pretty easily. Maybe I wasn't keeping score accurately😉 

The backup must have been getting the reps when I was watching them. Like I said, they looked pretty studly as a group for sure. I'm sure they'll have a good season still. I'll take your word for it on Dalton (not sure if I saw him play). That's good to know. I'll be coming down there for that one. Bro lives in Salida. BBQ still? 🙂

2 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I saw Central play twice. Once against DLS and once against Serra. Serra and DLS won both pretty easily. Maybe I wasn't keeping score accurately😉 

The backup must have been getting the reps when I was watching them. Like I said, they looked pretty studly as a group for sure. I'm sure they'll have a good season still. I'll take your word for it on Dalton (not sure if I saw him play). That's good to know. I'll be coming down there for that one. Bro lives in Salida. 

Maybe I’m getting bad info. Was told CC had 5 picks against DLS and beat them? 3 from Hale and 2 from backup?

Heard they went 3-0-2 but beat DLS. 

CC fans tailgate pretty big so you and whoever else can join us. We will do it big for that game. 

22 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Thoughts? Questions?

Great recap.  Everything DLS puts in on offense if geared to open things up in the SBG.  Their season is basically 14 weeks of practice preparing for the SBG.   The short passing game should be crisp by then and will keep the backers off the LOS, so they can't tryna stuff the dive.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:14 PM, Blueliner said:

[...]

Thoughts? Questions?

Do you have any confidence that the depth chart will stay the same once the kids start wearing pads?

There are a few surprises here. Reid's starting over Seastrand, for example, is a bit of a surprise, since Seastrand got some snaps on varsity last year. 

I remembering coach A saying that O'dell runs the practice squad and does a great job and that the team has a ton of confidence in him as a backup. But I also remember O'dell (I think) going in for Hale (who got injured in the first half) in the Buchanan game and the offense stalled and the game got close. DLS had to grind out a few 3rd-and-shorts to secure the win late in the 4th. Hopefully those two quarters aren't representative of DLS's offensive capacities with O'dell under center.

I think your confidence in this team is rubbing off on me a bit. The STA game might be closer than I thought when it was first announced. I'm still worried about DLS's big guys having to go both ways and about their linebackers. Those guys are gonna have to dig deep to keep the game close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Do you have any confidence that the depth chart will stay the same once the kids start wearing pads?

There are a few surprises here. Reid's starting over Seastrand, for example, is a bit of a surprise, since Seastrand got some snaps on varsity last year. 

I remembering coach A saying that O'dell runs the practice squad and does a great job and that the team has a ton of confidence in him as a backup. But I also remember O'dell (I think) going in for Hale (who got injured in the first half) in the Buchanan game and the offense stalled and the game got close. DLS had to grind out a few 3rd-and-shorts to secure the win late in the 4th. Hopefully those two quarters aren't representative of DLS's offensive capacities with O'dell under center.

I think your confidence in this team is rubbing off on me a bit. The STA game might be closer than I thought when it was first announced. I'm still worried about DLS's big guys having to go both ways and about their linebackers. Those guys are gonna have to dig deep to keep the game close.

BB,

Seastrand was there and not dressed. He looked like he was ok all n all. Probably nursing something. He looks good physique-wise. I expect him to be starting over Reid at TE and at DE. Same thing for Norfleet. He was there, but not dressed. Likely nursing something or maybe he's just not in the passing game plans. That IDK. 

Reid has really good size, but honestly didn't impress me,  this day, on either side of the ball. He's inexperienced, you can tell. 

Odell looked really good honestly. His first series was awful. I think he had 2 picks (maybe 3) against Central. But after that he seemed to really settle in. He's not that big, and he kinda throws sidearm, but he's got zip and good accuracy. Looks very athletic. I think he'd be ok in there if needed (hopefully not). I'm surprised Dermon wasn't there. I guess he'll be the JV starter with likely a late season call up. 

Yeah. I like this team and the way it's shaping up. Very intriguing in a lot of ways. If this OL can be the DLS caliber that we like to see, I think they're on to something. Roe, Crespi, and Tasi will likely go both ways with Puckett and Vransesh rounding out. Taofaeono, Tagaloa, and the rest of the JV lineman will be getting PT. 

Yeah. The LBs ….I really have no idea. Not sure the coaches do as well. We'll see in a few weeks at the Jamboree. They didn't look too good in this 7 on 7. 

They still have their work cut out for them, but maybe they can pull it out. I think it'll be a good game regardless and should set the stage for a good season. We'll know pretty quick at the potential. I hope I'm right. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, Blueliner said:

Teams:

DLS, Cardinal Newman, Serra, Pitt, Downey, Central Catholic, Siena, Monterey Trail

Quick hits:

DLS:

1st Offense:

TE - Reid

1st Defense:

LBs....We'll obviously have to wait and see with this group. Puckett was surprisingly moved to MLB (at least for today). He gives them good size and toughness at that position if that's the case. I expected him to be a starting DE. He's a player that DLS has been high on so we'll see how he assimilates to that position. They were ok at best today, but it was a 7 on 7 so we'll have to next month at the Jamboree how they look. Not a lot after those 3 guys either. Nothing today eased my concerns at this position. 😞

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks for the recap Blueliner, I heard from another friend that was at the passing tourney and he also mentioned the LB's not looking sharp. During the first game or two I think your LB's can get by on athleticism/speed but if they are lacking that as well the D. will be in trouble against an elite team like STA. They will have to rely a lot more on Garrett and the rest of the secondary to make plays. Also if they go both ways and it  it's extremely hot like in the past opening games in Sept. that will take a toll on the players esp. Puckett, if he is playing center and MLB. He will be getting gassed. And it doesn't sound like they are very deep at LB. I wonder if there is any chance Norfleet plays LB. He certainly has the size for it. Fortunately, this was only one passing league so coach A. and company can work on the weaknesses. Are you going to their next passing tourneyt Pitt. on Sat?

On 6/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, Blueliner said:

4 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Thanks for the recap Blueliner, I heard from another friend that was at the passing tourney and he also mentioned the LB's not looking sharp. During the first game or two I think your LB's can get by on athleticism/speed but if they are lacking that as well the D. will be in trouble against an elite team like STA. They will have to rely a lot more on Garrett and the rest of the secondary to make plays. Also if they go both ways and it  it's extremely hot like in the past opening games in Sept. that will take a toll on the players esp. Puckett, if he is playing center and MLB. He will be getting gassed. And it doesn't sound like they are very deep at LB. I wonder if there is any chance Norfleet plays LB. He certainly has the size for it. Fortunately, this was only one passing league so coach A. and company can work on the weaknesses. Are you going to their next passing tourneyt Pitt. on Sat?

What's up dude? You KNOW it'll be hot. I agree. There's no way that Puckett can effectively go both ways as Mike and center (and he's only a junior). But he was out there on both sides this day. Garrett (gonna have a great season) and the secondary will be alright in coverage. I just hope that they aren't the one's trying to make tackles on running plays all game long. the LB situation is making me a little nervous to be quite honest. Norfleet looks the part. Kid looks like he's about 210 or so. Has a man body already. I'm hoping that he's just nursing something and he'll be available on Sat. and Jamboree etc. I'll be there Sat. Are you going?

7 hours ago, Blueliner said:

What's up dude? You KNOW it'll be hot. I agree. There's no way that Puckett can effectively go both ways as Mike and center (and he's only a junior). But he was out there on both sides this day. Garrett (gonna have a great season) and the secondary will be alright in coverage. I just hope that they aren't the one's trying to make tackles on running plays all game long. the LB situation is making me a little nervous to be quite honest. Norfleet looks the part. Kid looks like he's about 210 or so. Has a man body already. I'm hoping that he's just nursing something and he'll be available on Sat. and Jamboree etc. I'll be there Sat. Are you going?

It's one thing to stop the pass. If Spartans can't stop the run, it will be a beat down for STA.  No way can those DB's come in and fill those gaps like lb's. This sounds more serious than I thought.  Dela has to have some athletes with decent size to put in at the lb's I would assume. 

3 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

It's one thing to stop the pass. If Spartans can't stop the run, it will be a beat down for STA.  No way can those DB's come in and fill those gaps like lb's. This sounds more serious than I thought.  Dela has to have some athletes with decent size to put in at the lb's I would assume. 

The 3 kids that they had in there last week were all over 6 feet and over 200 lbs. so size isn’t an issue. it’s just a matter of can they play those positions effectively (and is Puckett THE guy in the middle).They weren’t very impressive all in all. They were being beaten out in the flats all morning. But it was a 7 on 7 so we’ll have to see how it goes the rest of the way. Anxious for Sat.

8 hours ago, Blueliner said:

The 3 kids that they had in there last week were all over 6 feet and over 200 lbs. so size isn’t an issue. it’s just a matter of can they play those positions effectively (and is Puckett THE guy in the middle).They weren’t very impressive all in all. They were being beaten out in the flats all morning. But it was a 7 on 7 so we’ll have to see how it goes the rest of the way. Anxious for Sat.

Do they have any speed ? If they have some speed, then they have some upside.  If these guys can plug some holes against the run, that will be necessary,   as Sta is a running team, according to posters on this thread.  Hopefully their lack of coverage is due to inexperience and not lack of talent.  

14 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

This is my biggest worry. Though it has been awhile since I watched the STA game and the ET game, I feel like in each of those games, the gaps started to widen late in the 3rd and the DBs started missing tackles. 

43 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

This is my biggest worry. Though it has been awhile since I watched the STA game and the ET game, I feel like in each of those games, the gaps started to widen late in the 3rd and the DBs started missing tackles. 

DLS had a huge opportunity to when that ET game. What a let down.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Do they have any speed ? If they have some speed, then they have some upside.  If these guys can plug some holes against the run, that will be necessary,   as Sta is a running team, according to posters on this thread.  Hopefully their lack of coverage is due to inexperience and not lack of talent.  

Puckett looks pretty stout like he could plug some serious gaps playing Mike. He’s a tough kid. The other two kids looked a little gangly like they’ve got some growing to do still muscular-wise. They all looked a little slow afoot to me in coverage. Hard to know how they come up and hit until they throw some pads on. I’m going to try and get the skinny on Sat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

This is a legitimate concern from what I can see against STA and the Open rep (should they make it). How will these LBs tackle and cover?. I’m confident that the DBs will be solid in coverage, but can they make tackles if necessary? You nailed it, Missed tackles by DBs against ET were killers.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:14 AM, Blueliner said:

Most Lbs are going to get beat in 7v7.  Shoot everyone gets  beat often in 7v7.   

If anyone wants to see a 7v7 tournament STA played in somewhat recently.  I think Booker T Washington won it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Puckett looks pretty stout like he could plug some serious gaps playing Mike. He’s a tough kid. The other two kids looked a little gangly like they’ve got some growing to do still muscular-wise. They all looked a little slow afoot to me in coverage. Hard to know how they come up and hit until they throw some pads on. I’m going to try and get the skinny on Sat.

Thanks for keeping us updated

• Like 2