Most talented Small public school teams (all time)

954gator

Can any touch 2006 Pahokee?   Pahokee dresses like 30-40 players!  

Janoris Jenkins DB  NFL (active)

Pernell Mcphee  DE NFL  (active)

Richard Ash  DT  NFL  (active)

Dwight Bentley DB  NFL

Martavius Odoms  WR Michigan

Micanor Regis DT  Miami 

Nukeese Richardson WR  Tennessee

Jatavious Miller LB  West Virginia 

Vincent Smith  RB Michigan

Brandin Hawthorne  OLB Michigan

Merril Noel  DB  Wake Forrest 

Anthony Sheppard QB  Western Kentucky  

Jacoby Love DT Western Michigan

Kevenski Mcgee  TE USF

Rudy Robinson LB Western Mich

Carlos Lammons DB Buffalo

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

How does Cocoa compare? 

Cocoa has had some good teams, but don't think they've had any that talented.   The crazy thing is Cocoa, even if it is a smaller school, is in a bigger city and that program can attract players from surrounding areas.   Pahokee has a total population of 6K, and it's in the middle of NOWHERE lol. 

Makes me wonder though, because it just doesn't seem possible that they would have that many good players.   Maybe they got some kids from Belle Glade?   Thing is Glades Central was a state contender at that time, so I doubt kids were leaving to play at Pahokee.

Lake Okechobee area map below for comparison to Cocoa.

gaf-LakeOK-map.jpg

Cocoa area

0338374f2970dbe7e2e6db24ce4f3587.gif

9 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Must be something in the water in that part of Florida. Glades Day in Belle Glade also won what, 6 or 7 state championships at the small school level, had a game on ESPN back in the mid/late 2000s and had Fred Taylor's kid who set all kinds of rushing records.

Yea... Mud and dirt... Florida water is disgusting.... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 954gator said:

Cocoa has had some good teams, but don't think they've had any that talented.   The crazy thing is Cocoa, even if it is a smaller school, is in a bigger city and that program can attract players from surrounding areas.   Pahokee has a total population of 6K, and it's in the middle of NOWHERE lol. 

Makes me wonder though, because it just doesn't seem possible that they would have that many good players.   Maybe they got some kids from Belle Glade?   Thing is Glades Central was a state contender at that time, so I doubt kids were leaving to play at Pahokee.

Lake Okechobee area map below for comparison to Cocoa.

gaf-LakeOK-map.jpg

Cocoa area

0338374f2970dbe7e2e6db24ce4f3587.gif

I... I have a story about Satellite Beach...

57 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

2009 or 2016 Cocoa gets my vote as they played and were successful in the era of OOS competition. Pahokee played absolutely nobody in 06. Finished only #137 nationally.

So compare the talent.  Word on the street is Pahokee got turned down by MNW in 07.    Too risky they said.   (Not joking)

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

2009 or 2016 Cocoa gets my vote as they played and were successful in the era of OOS competition. Pahokee played absolutely nobody in 06. Finished only #137 nationally.

You act as if rankings back in 2006 were any good.   They were ranked in just about every poll in 2007.    The computer rankings were a joke back then so don’t even mention those.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, 954gator said:

Can any touch 2006 Pahokee?   Pahokee dresses like 30-40 players!  

Janoris Jenkins DB  NFL (active)

Pernell Mcphee  DE NFL  (active)

Richard Ash  DT  NFL  (active)

Dwight Bentley DB  NFL

Martavius Odoms  WR Michigan

Micanor Regis DT  Miami 

Nukeese Richardson WR  Tennessee

Jatavious Miller LB  West Virginia 

Vincent Smith  RB Michigan

Brandin Hawthorne  OLB Michigan

Merril Noel  DB  Wake Forrest 

Anthony Sheppard QB  Western Kentucky  

Jacoby Love DT Western Michigan

Kevenski Mcgee  TE USF

Rudy Robinson LB Western Mich

Carlos Lammons DB Buffalo

Greatest small town public has to Be the 1939 Garfield boilerMakerss

@GardenStateBaller Garfield in the 30s was using a out of town player from Passaic  STAR RB

literally everyone knew and saw him live in Passaic and no one did anything while he simply attended  school and played football for a town he didn’t live in

06EC1F36-16FD-4144-81D3-8685D97FC3BD.jpeg

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Cocoa’s 2009 team was in the middle of its 38 game winning streak. They refused to lose. Beat Bolles at Bolles, where they hadn’t lost since the 90s. Beat AHD, who was a State Champ. Beat Glades in Final, who beat Champ Dwyer during the regular season. Cocoa win or lose always tested themselves vs elite OOS teams. Much respect. 

After Pahokee got hype (and lost their best players) in 08 they went to play Byrnes in SC and Played Olive Branch at home.   Lost both, but can't say they didn't play OOS.    That 2008 Byrnes team was ranked VERY high in the national rankings and thats the reason Byrnes and STA played in 2009.     That Byrnes team in 2008 beat  North Gwinette Ga,   Lincoln (FL),   and Pahokee Fl.   Maybe that was before your time lol?   

http://www.desototimes.com/sports/olive-branch-scores-comeback-victory/article_f05613e5-9196-5f64-84dd-91225a50d054.html

I remember Pahokee had no kicker against Byrnes.    Wonder if I can find any video of that game.  

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, 954gator said:

Cocoa did have 3 kids drafted in this years draft though.   

@Cat_Scratch  @Tiger2016  what year has Cocoa had it's most talented roster?  

Just checking in. I'm Out of Country atm but I have some time.

I have to say that their have been several very talented small public schools in Florida in the last few decades. Teams like Madison County that regularly play 6, 7,and 8A teams and play to win that go unnoticed by 99%.

To the point of the question. I'm not the best person to ask about Cocoa's best team, but I'll give my opinion of the Cocoa team that was the most exciting to watch.

2010 Cocoa went undefeated and played 3 OOS teams with one being the state champ in Pa.

Their schedule started with 3 OOS games and I'll give the scores.

Olive Branch MS, 6-0, OB finished 8-5.
Thomas Jefferson PA, 43-7, TJ finished 11-2 - State Champ.
Abilene TX, 24-21, Abilene finished 10-4. Was Nationally Ranked #1 at the time.
Alantic FL, 36-23, Atlantic finished 5-6. *
Merritt Island FL, 24-0, MI finished 8-6. *
Satellite FL, 35-6, Satellite finished 7-4. *
Space Coast FL, 24-7, SC finished 5-6. *
Astronaut FL, 34-0, Astronaut finished 8-4. *
Rockledge FL, 55-0, Rockledge finished 5-6. *, Rival + Bowl Game.
Jones FL, 14-9, Play Off, Jones Finished 10-2.
Bishop Moore FL, 14-7, Play Off, BM finished 10-3.
Madison County FL, 17-15, Playoff, Mad Cow finished 12-1. MC beat Columbia, TCA Jax, Raines, Godby, and Lincoln.
Glades Central FL, 14-13, State Champion Play Off, GC finished 12-2. Beat Skyline Tx, AH Plantation, Cardinal Gibbons, Pahokee, and Denison Tx. 

Pahokee,  Booker T Washington, Madison County, Glades Central and a lot more are certainly more than just a good small team. They play some of the greatest teams in America and play respectful. These teams are never a team to take lightly.  

• Like 2