New format for pickum

Ararar

I think as much participation for as long as we can is the best option. So I'm not sure limiting playoff slots is a good idea. 

I like the playoff idea tho, why not include everybody?

Also there has to be some software or forum features that allow you to place picks without your picks being known. There was too much changing of picks at the last minute based on everyone else's picks......and in a head to head format, that would be much worse.

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

I think as much participation for as long as we can is the best option. So I'm not sure limiting playoff slots is a good idea. 

I like the playoff idea tho, why not include everybody?

Also there has to be some software or forum features that allow you to place picks without your picks being known. There was too much changing of picks at the last minute based on everyone else's picks......and in a head to head format, that would be much worse.

We could always institute a rule for playoffs about not changing picks

2 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

We could have people Message their picks to me? Or whoever is running it.

You see this is why I brought this up four months in advance because I knew there would be kinks to work out.Good idea THS2011 that's why you run this thing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Wouldn't posting the picks defeat the purpose of not letting others pick what everybody else is picking?  Or am I missing something.  Or are you saying THS would post them after the deadline?

Yeah, I think that's the idea. After all the picks have been received and the deadline for finalizing has passed, he can post them so we all see what we're up against. Seems like that's a great idea to me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Wouldn't posting the picks defeat the purpose of not letting others pick what everybody else is picking?  Or am I missing something.  Or are you saying THS would post them after the deadline?

32 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, I think that's the idea. After all the picks have been received and the deadline for finalizing has passed, he can post them so we all see what we're up against. Seems like that's a great idea to me.  

Yea you guys got it.

It was fun seeing everybody else's picks and seeing how they were doing so I would like to keep that feature, but it got carried away with changing picks based on scores and other people's picks or just waiting last minute for all other picks...and I'm not talkin bout the ole ATLien procrastination

• Like 2

On 4/13/2017 at 3:21 PM, Ararar said:

I would like the boards input on an idea I have for pickum.

my idea is to play a regular season (weeks tbd) as usual to determine seedings 1-16

then go to a four week head to head playoff to determine our champion.

So as to insure the integrity of the regular season all playoff ties would default to the highest seed as winner.

Higher seed would have the option of picking first during playoffs.If they decline picking first they must choose at least one different winner than their opponent.

this format would give more players a chance to become champion and encourage participation because even if you miss a week or two you could still be a playoff participant.

any and all thoughts on this are welcome

Not sure if this is possible but if you could incorporate a "bye-week" of some type for those that miss a week due to whatever circumstances.  I know I missed one week two seasons ago and seemed impossible to catch up, hence I stopped.  I think this happened to a couple of posters last time as well.  Not sure how to do this but if possible would be cool that you don't have to fold after missing a week.   Would love to see a set number of games each week as well; maybe 10 - 12 at most.

good idea on your part, good luck getting it going.

46 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Not sure if this is possible but if you could incorporate a "bye-week" of some type for those that miss a week due to whatever circumstances.  I know I missed one week two seasons ago and seemed impossible to catch up, hence I stopped.  I think this happened to a couple of posters last time as well.  Not sure how to do this but if possible would be cool that you don't have to fold after missing a week.   Would love to see a set number of games each week as well; maybe 10 - 12 at most.

Going to a playoff system would still allow players who miss a week or even two weeks a chance to still be champ.You would only need to qualify for the playoffs by being top 8 or 16.Still have to decide how many players qualify but at any rate you would no longer have to catch the leader just qualify.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 7:24 AM, sausmann9 said:

How about if you miss a week you got whatever the lowest score for that week is minus 1 point. You would still get penalized for not getting your picks in (you'll obviously be last for that week) but you dont get totally shutout, which can cause people to bail out when they miss a week

• Like 1

My only issue is that lately its getting to be a lot of teams .  I like to do reasearch and when there are some unknown teams I'm ok, but when theres like 15 teams I have to start from scratch with, it became too time consuming.    

I'm gonna try and do it this next year though.

On April 14, 2017 at 0:58 PM, ATLien12x said:

But then you'd have people that would wait and pick on the last day like I'd usually do. 

The funny thing is I didn't do it to see other picks lolol I'm just built that way with procrastination 

Yeah I'd be amazing to somehow have the picks hidden.   then it would be legit!   It would be waaay too much work for the person in charge tho, unless we did the math ourselves and the person in charg justs holds on to the messages as proof (but wouldnt have to read them save for checking). 

• Like 1