New format for pickum

Ararar

I would like the boards input on an idea I have for pickum.

my idea is to play a regular season (weeks tbd) as usual to determine seedings 1-16

then go to a four week head to head playoff to determine our champion.

So as to insure the integrity of the regular season all playoff ties would default to the highest seed as winner.

Higher seed would have the option of picking first during playoffs.If they decline picking first they must choose at least one different winner than their opponent.

this format would give more players a chance to become champion and encourage participation because even if you miss a week or two you could still be a playoff participant.

any and all thoughts on this are welcome

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I would like the boards input on an idea I have for pickum.

my idea is to play a regular season (weeks tbd) as usual to determine seedings 1-16

then go to a four week head to head playoff to determine our champion.

So as to insure the integrity of the regular season all playoff ties would default to the highest seed as winner.

Higher seed would have the option of picking first during playoffs.If they decline picking first they must choose at least one different winner than their opponent.

this format would give more players a chance to become champion and encourage participation because even if you miss a week or two you could still be a playoff participant.

any and all thoughts on this are welcome

Im down for whatever.  So long as we no longer have the 20 or 30 game week just so others can try to catch up.  That killed it for me.  Who has that kind of time to pick that many? lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AztecPadre said:

Im down for whatever.  So long as we no longer have the 20 or 30 game week just so others can try to catch up.  That killed it for me.  Who has that kind of time to pick that many? lol

This format would eliminate that because 16 players would be eligible for the head to head playoff 

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

the game is a stupid cluster F.

too many games, a different amount each week, too many skip weeks

just scrap it 

hope this helps!

A group of five people pick 5 games a week. Period.

Well it doesn't really help because we most likely will be playing.5 games is to small just like 30 games was to large

5 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Agreed. The excessive amount of games last year was over the top. 

That said, 

i love this proposed idea. Sounds good to me

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

There was never once 30... in fact, we only have 20 or more games TWICE

You did a great job last year, don't let anyone fool you...we all played on the same playing field.

and you even know how to spell pickem

if the majority wants a change go with the majority! ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

You did a great job last year, don't let anyone fool you...we all played on the same playing field.

and you even know how to spell pickem

if the majority wants a change go with the majority! ?

In my neighborhood it's UM not EM ?.Just thought you might want to win a true championship through a playoff ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ararar said:

In my neighborhood it's UM not EM ?.Just thought you might want to win a true championship through a playoff ?

Well since I have been here it has always been called Pickem starting with DJ

now as far as the tourney and the proposed I compare it to golf.

one of my friends has won a golf club championship only 15 out of 30 times and I asked how that could be. He is a plus 4 and says a minus 3 (hope you are following along) gets hot and wins by upset. Play 72 holes with everything in the hole and he wins at least 28 times. True champ

I have won one 72 hole event and 2 match play championships also.

so now I have 2 pickem titles in a row and will try to 3 peat with a match play championship.

change is cool ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Agreed. The excessive amount of games last year was over the top. 

That said, 

i love this proposed idea. Sounds good to me

Sounds good to me. Used to have to spend a good 10 minutes a week picking all those games, way too long. This should make it a tight 2-3 tops, perfect.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

So basically everyone is playing for a top 16 finish? Then a playoff of 1Vs16 2V15 head to head games? 

36 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

Last year we had only 18 playing at the end of the year. Why not go with the top 8 instead of 16? That's my suggestion.

I guess it just depends on how many players there are.If it's only 18 then yes 8 playoff qualifiers would be better 

• Like 1